Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi, I'm 4 months out, have lost 63 pounds. I feel great ,,,but my hair is really starting to fall out! I knew this was a possibility, but it sucks. The good news is that I have (HAD!) very thick hair so no one really noticed but me, but it's really happening. Every time I wash it a good chunk of hair comes out, and there are strands of hair in my sink and in my hairbrush daily. My surgeon said it's form rapid weight loss and will eventually stop. Is this true? Anyone have a tips to help me out?

Thanks!

Valerie this Hair loss thing scares me too, I have my wig ready because my hair is what I consider thin already but the back is thick. Not sure if this is true but I was told if we get it cut short it doesn't fall out no where near as bad.

I'm 7 months out and 90 pounds lighter. I am losing my hair like no one's business.... and I had/have fine/thin hair to begin with. I bought a product called Toppix that fills in your hair so you don't look baldish. It works really good but it's like wearing makeup in your hair. If you sweat or it rains on you, it gets weird and kinda comes off on your fingers if you touch it. Either way, I use it everyday and no one but my partner and me have noticed my Hair loss. It sucks soo much though and I wish it didn't happen. That said, I wouldn't trade my health for hair.

My hair loss/shedding started at just over 2 months and just slowed down at just over 7 months. The worst of it was in month 4. My doc said, "Anything you lose due to surgery will grow back." I'm seeing a lot of new growth - so much so, it's hard to style, but I don't mind one bit.

My doc approved Biotin and Folic Acid - for regrowth, not for stopping the loss. I also use Nioxin Shampoo and conditioner (it dries out the scalp, so I use moisturizing shampoo a couple of times a week). Toppik will cover the real thin spots (go their website - the product works just like in the videos, it's awesome - seems expensive, but I'm still on my first bottle). I also had to resort to a shorter cut to mask all the loss.

I can tell you this - even with the Hair loss, I am so glad I had the surgery...It's totally worth it, especially since I'm seeing all the new growth.

This is what I'm the most worried about. I lost a bunch of hair when I went through a divorce about 5 years ago and had to have injections in my scalp to restart the growth in those areas. I don't want to go through that a 2nd time. I had surgery 6/21 so I haven't had any Hair loss yet. I'm taking chewable Biotin dots every day. I just can't seem to get enough Protein in while still in the liquid stage. It takes all day to drink a Protein Shake and I can't find the Special K protein Water packs anywhere.

Hopefully I dodged the bullit on this one. I am six months out now, and have only seen extra flyaways, but no clumps of hair in my brush or drain, even though the surgeon warned me about the possibility. I do not know that I have done anything so differently from anyone else. I have been on 80 grams of Protein, and 10,000 mcg of Biotin 2X a day. Other than that, I take my D3, B12, multi Vitamin and Calcium.

On my own I added magnesium, chromium, and Vitamin C. I dont take fish oil because Miss Tummy gives it back. But I do eat fish twice a week. My hair is more limp, but otherwise healthy and soft. I did have quite a problem with dry brittle nails and really dry skin from months two to four, but that is gone. My nails and skin are healthy now. I don't know how to explain it, but I was resigned to accept it. My heart goes out to my bariatric siblings, and I hope that your recovery gets better.

The topix product that is being mentioned does it blend with all hair colors or does it have to be matched up with each individual?

honestly i plan to just cut it off once the loss starts- like SUPER short. i know it won't be the best option, but i have pics of some super cute pixie type cuts and i'm just gonna forego all the worry and do it. i AM however, taking Biotin 5000 mcg already so that once the regrowth starts, it will be supported.

i'm super hopeful that i'll just look so good otherwise, people won't even notice my hair!

Nioxin helps a lot of people with Hair loss. Check with your stylist. I used it after I lost hair with HCG. I'll use it again soon... I'm sure I'll lose hair again.

I am 9 months out and have lost a lot of my hair it is very dry and brittle. I try to camouflage it but there is not much to work with. It just looks stringy and sad but it is a small price to pay. My health has improved so much and my hair will grow back. I too am thinking about a pixie so that my hair can recover but I can not decide.

I am a hairdresser and I've seen so many cases like this with my guests in my chair. (I'm starting to experience it myself)...it is normal for our case and almost always expected to happen...the best thing you can do is to keep drinking your 64oz + of Water a day...keep Protein high...and take your Vitamins and supplements every day...my step mom had the sleeve down 2 years ago and lost a tremendous amount of hair..the product line we carry in the salon came out with a thickening collection. The company is called EUFORA international...you may or may not have heard of it...it is salon exclusive which means you will not find it in a grocery store,drug store or even online. The product lines use a blend of botanical extracts, food grade based preservatives ( so you could technically eat the product if you wanted to , but you may fart Shampoo bubbles ???? ) and they are based with certified organic pharmaceutical grade aloe Vera gel..I've been using eufora for about 6 years and my hair has been in the best condition it has ever been in...granted I am experiencing some hair loss..but the girls at the salon said my hair still feels really heAlthy and it is still growing..anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent...just wanted to give you some product knowledge..so basically the thickening line was designed for people who have experienced extreme hair loss/thinning due to stress, illness, and weight loss surgery! The line is comprised of a treatment shampoo, treatment conditioner, treatment scalp spray (you use that twice a day) a thickening serum you use when you blow dry style your hair and a special thickening blend vitamin/supplement..one of our guests has always had very little hair and she just purchased her second box of the eufora thickening collection...I am beyond thrilled with the results for this guest and with the results my step mom experienced...if you are skeptical of it or concerned..I would highly reccomend you check out eufora.net and it will give you more information on it and you can find a local salon that carries it :) or since I used to teach for the company..if you let me know what state your in, I might know a salon to recommend for you :) good luck and best wishes to you!

-Stephanie

The topix product that is being mentioned does it blend with all hair colors or does it have to be matched up with each individual?

@@hopeful one,

They have different colors that you can purchase, no blending.

Hello,

Thanks for your post. I have very very fine hair. So much so, barretts fall out my hair. For years I've been using all kinds of products to thicken my hair but everything I use doesn't work. The product sounds interesting. Do you know if this product is good for African Americans? Thanks in advance.

I am a hairdresser and I've seen so many cases like this with my guests in my chair. (I'm starting to experience it myself)...it is normal for our case and almost always expected to happen...the best thing you can do is to keep drinking your 64oz + of Water a day...keep Protein high...and take your Vitamins and supplements every day...my step mom had the sleeve down 2 years ago and lost a tremendous amount of hair..the product line we carry in the salon came out with a thickening collection. The company is called EUFORA international...you may or may not have heard of it...it is salon exclusive which means you will not find it in a grocery store,drug store or even online. The product lines use a blend of botanical extracts, food grade based preservatives ( so you could technically eat the product if you wanted to , but you may fart Shampoo bubbles ) and they are based with certified organic pharmaceutical grade aloe Vera gel..I've been using eufora for about 6 years and my hair has been in the best condition it has ever been in...granted I am experiencing some hair loss..but the girls at the salon said my hair still feels really heAlthy and it is still growing..anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent...just wanted to give you some product knowledge..so basically the thickening line was designed for people who have experienced extreme hair loss/thinning due to stress, illness, and weight loss surgery! The line is comprised of a treatment shampoo, treatment conditioner, treatment scalp spray (you use that twice a day) a thickening serum you use when you blow dry style your hair and a special thickening blend vitamin/supplement..one of our guests has always had very little hair and she just purchased her second box of the eufora thickening collection...I am beyond thrilled with the results for this guest and with the results my step mom experienced...if you are skeptical of it or concerned..I would highly reccomend you check out eufora.net and it will give you more information on it and you can find a local salon that carries it :) or since I used to teach for the company..if you let me know what state your in, I might know a salon to recommend for you :) good luck and best wishes to you!

-Stephanie

I am 3 months out, down 55 lbs and losing hair like crazy. It really sucks. Toppix works great so far but I fear I'll be smearing it on a bald head before long.

@@Denise73 ... That's a great question! The EUFORA thickening collection Is designed for "fine textured hair" however, it couldn't hurt to give it a try..the worst that could happen is your hair may not receive as much moisture as a moisturizing shampoo..so I would suggest using a deep conditioning masque or treatment once a week to replenish moisture back in your hair..you could also use their beautifying serum on your hair to soften it as well..what's nice about the beautifying serum is that you can use it from head to toe :) super softening and provides your and skin with hydration, antioxidant protection, heat and sun protection and antimicrobial benefits! It's a jack of all trades :)