Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing too much weight?

Have the "get-2-goal" app where wls patients can enter their weight and see if their loss is below average, average or above average. Well today my weight weight below the above average line. I'm torn between being thrilled and a little concerned. My hair is now starting to thin (a little early compared to what I've read here) and I would like my skin to have some time to bounce back as I lose. I eat between 800-1000 calories a day, usually get all my Water and get between 60-70 grams of Protein a day. I tend to lose nothing for several days (even gaining an ounce or 3) and then, BAM, I will have big losses for several days in a row (at least a lb a day) My next nut appt is next week. Do y'all believe there are consequences to losing too quickly and are they great enough to make adjustments?

Stats:

HW: 231

SW 220

CW 176.8

Height 5'5"

Surgery date 4/22

Start size: 14/16 (probably closer to 16/18 since my only pants that fit were very stretchy Old Navy Sweetheart jeans size 14....and they were super tight!)

Current size: 10/12

I can understand your concerns because I share most of them. I got my VSG May 30th and already have skin sagging and flaking issues. From everything I've read, hair and skin effects are directly tied to how fast the weight is lost. But that's not the only factor, things like how big you were, how long you were big, Water intake, exercise regimen and plain genetics come into play too.

Obviously the Nut will have the best advice for you, but I would say if you're meeting your Protein, Water and exercise requirements and wanted to increase your healthy fats with Peanut Butter or avocado or even hummus with olive oil, you shouldn't be afraid to increase your daily caloric intake with these as long as your other needs are met to "slow" down the loss to something YOU are comfortable with. My doc (everyones different) said that as long as you're under 1300cal you're fine and going to keep losing.

Hope you figure out what healthy means for you. hair or skin issues are still better than living Big. :)

I still seem to be losing quicker than normal.... my nutritionist says I am ahead of most of their sleeve patients it should slow down, but I have to admit I am kind of freaked out.

I know most would love to have this problem (and a big part of me is thrilled), but I am starting to look like a bag of skin and my hair won't stop falling out.... I don't want to mess up my metabolism or go bald! At the rate I'm going I should be at goal (150 lbs) within 5 months of surgery if not sooner

Are there any major side effects to losing too quickly? Or should I just enjoy the ride and stop worrying about a "problem" that many would kill to have?

CW: 166

HW: 231

One thing to be aware of... The app "get-to-goal" was designed for RNY, not the sleeve. The goal lined are not accurate for the sleeve...

hair loss is a normal consequence of having the surgery. Almost everyone has issues with it, some worse then others. Make sure you are getting enough Protein. You can also try Biotin (supplement) and Nioxin (shampoo/conditioner).

Skin... Yes the slower you lose, the better you chances of it bouncing back... It's also gonna be affect by all those other factors someone else mentioned (age, length of obesity, Water intake, etc).

If you wanna slow down, up your calories. Just be careful you aren't upping them using candy, ice cream, and other junk food. ;-)

Talking to your nutritionist is a great thing to do.

Oh I was also going to say the first months are always the fastest then everything slows down... You've got more to lose then... The further out you get the more it'll naturally slow down.

Thanks All! I have never in my adult life been this thin and NEVER have I lost this quickly...and I am FAR from perfect in my eating habits (I allow myself small bites of whatever I want, I enjoy the occassional adult beverage, probably snack to much at night which has always been a problem for me) I guess I am so afraid of doing this wrong, that I am seeing problems rather than success. I got the sleeve so I could control my portions rather than particular foods.

The skin and hair thing definitely bug me...but I was expecting them. I just didn't know the extent to which I would have to deal with both.

I feel kind of selfish even posting about this...but it has confused, concerned and excited me all at the same time.

I will definitely count my blessings and keep my Protein and Water up....I also promise to never bitch about a stall again! :)