Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Only doing pre-op the day before surgery

My doctor is only making me do pre-op liquids the day before my surgery. I am going to do liquids on my own a few days before just to make sure ive lost a few extra pounds. My surgery is 6/17/2014.

Anyone else have to do pre-op for only one day?

I only had 1 day of liquids. Had surgery today and thus far it's been way easier than I imagined.

I didn't really have a preop diet. He told me to stick to a low fat diet. BUT I was also banded and being revised to the sleeve, so my diet was pretty much intact to begin with.

Congrats everyone on this journey. My doctor told me he didn't want to make me suffer with the 2 week liquids diet. I just have to make sure I am not bigger than my starting weight!!

Hopefully the pain is equivalent to my gallbladder surgery 10 years ago...

I have my sleeve surgery on June 2nd. I'm set up the same as you. a liquid diet one day before surgery. Even allows for 7up with sugar. I'm a diabetic I avoid soda lol. Well I know its there if I have low blood sugar. I guess we have to consider ourselves lucky.

the anticipation is incredible right?

Here's to a healthy and speedy recovery,

Jenn

I will only be on a three day pre-op diet but that is because I am starting at a low bmi. The other people in my nut class had pre-op diets that ranged from the short 3 day to 3 weeks. My doc said it is simply to shrink the liver which will make it easier to access the stomach during surgery.

Like you though, I have been on my own pre-op diet. I am scared of the sudden change in eating routines already...I can't imagine having virtually zero practice beforehand!

I have my sleeve surgery on June 2nd. I'm set up the same as you. a liquid diet one day before surgery. Even allows for 7up with sugar. I'm a diabetic I avoid soda lol. Well I know its there if I have low blood sugar. I guess we have to consider ourselves lucky.

the anticipation is incredible right?

Here's to a healthy and speedy recovery,

Jenn

Yes, I am so excited. I am trying not to pay attention to the days but I keep counting down! I feel like I am going on vacation or something! I am just dreading that nasty sprite tasting drink though! I hope you do well in your surgery in a few days. Please let me know how everything went!

I will only be on a three day pre-op diet but that is because I am starting at a low bmi. The other people in my nut class had pre-op diets that ranged from the short 3 day to 3 weeks. My doc said it is simply to shrink the liver which will make it easier to access the stomach during surgery.

Like you though, I have been on my own pre-op diet. I am scared of the sudden change in eating routines already...I can't imagine having virtually zero practice beforehand!

I am nervous also about the eating routines but I am going to purchase baby spoons and forks, etc...I am getting rid of all of the big plates,bowls,etc as well. When is your surgery?

I did! :-) today and it sucks. Lol. Mine was Clear Liquids. And Isopure is disgusting. Anyways. I'm getting sleeved tomorrow. Very excited. And congrats on your journey. I thought I was gonna do a couple extra days of liquids on my own too but when it came down to it I just wanted to enjoy the last super crap I could. The freeness of eating when I want how I want. I will miss that. And only that. :-)

Im due for surgery in September... I was told ill be on a liquid diet only 2days prior . I am happy about this because I feared the 2wk prep. Anyone know why certain ppl have to do a longer prep than others? Just curious

I wish I only had one day, or even two weeks... I have to lose 7% of my weight so I was put on a 3 week Optifast crystal light Jello and Water diet. I'm currently 10 days out from surgery and I've lost 10 lbs in a week which is the only thing keeping me going and fighting my hunger.....

<p>My doctor is only making me do pre-op liquids the day before my surgery. I am going to do liquids on my own a few days before just to make sure ive lost a few extra pounds. My surgery is 6/17/2014.</p> <p> </p> <p>Anyone else have to do pre-op for only one day?</p>

Hello I was told to do an 2wk low calorie diet from my doctor my surgery date schdule for 6/10/14 I'm very nervous, I'm trying to get more advice from you guys on. Wats the best Vitamins an Protein Shakes I haven't attended the nutrients class yet but I jus wanted to get a clearer looked on things but to answer ur question I haven't seen my doctor until 6/4/14 so maybe he will make me start as of dAt day

My doctor is only making me do pre-op liquids the day before my surgery. I am going to do liquids on my own a few days before just to make sure ive lost a few extra pounds. My surgery is 6/17/2014.

Anyone else have to do pre-op for only one day?

Oh my gosh, I have 4 weeks of preop diet!! 2 weeks of high Protein, low carb, low fat, 1 week of full liquids and 1 week of Clear Liquids. Sheesh. I started my preop diet today!

Oh, and I just wanted to add, that I am the "standard". No patients do less than what I'm doing and if the BMI is high they have to do a longer pre-op diet phase.

Edited by DarbiMolly

Im due for surgery in September... I was told ill be on a liquid diet only 2days prior . I am happy about this because I feared the 2wk prep. Anyone know why certain ppl have to do a longer prep than others? Just curious

I would like to know why everyone has different pre-op also but my coordinator said my surgeon doesn't want people to have to do such a long fast and go without eating considering we wouldn't be eating much after the surgery. I am going to get clarity when I go to my pre-op. I will let you know...