Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 month from surgery...nervous about pre-op diet

I'm scheduled for surgery one month from today. I just received all my appointments and preparation paperwork. I'm nervous about the pre-op diet. Any advice on readying my pantry? Thank you!

My pre-op, 1-week diet consists of pre-packaged food that I had to buy from the bariatric center. I'll eat 6 times a day, but it only adds up to around 800 calories. I think I'll do okay.

It seems every doctor has different pre-op diets. Hope you can get one you can handle!

I am just finishing my one week liquid diet and it hasn't been bad. I am just tired of sweet shakes and drinks. I was able to have veggies raw and cooked for the first five days and that helped a lot. The hardest day for me was Day 6 and today hasn't been bad with Clear liquids.

My surgery is tomorrow! Having the sleeve!

<p>I am just finishing my one week liquid diet and it hasn't been bad. I am just tired of sweet shakes and drinks. I was able to have veggies raw and cooked for the first five days and that helped a lot. The hardest day for me was Day 6 and today hasn't been bad with Clear Liquids. </p>

<p>My surgery is tomorrow! Having the sleeve!</p>

Hi Sue, how was surgery? Are you doing ok? Please let everyone know....

Surgery went great! I ended up having a hiatal hernai repair too! 2 for 1! I got home yesterday and have found a way to be comfortable in my Lazy boy chair. I tried the bed, but I am a side sleeper and it is a no go right now with the abdomen swelling.

Fluids are going down well and I am tolerating a Isopure Protein Drink. I love the Grape Frost...not to sweet, but refreshing plus Jello and Water. broth hasn't tasted good to me yet.

I had wonderful care at the hospital and I tried to do everything they said. Main thing...get up a walk every two hours. It gets the gas moving and makes you feel so much better. The pain has been tolerable with the meds. they give you and I got an abdomen binder which helps tremendously with getting up out of a chair. Any questions, feel free to ask. I want to share and help anyone I can.

I lost 11 lbs. on my one week liquid diet which I followed to a tee. You are bit bloated with all the iv fluids when you get home, so I am not going to weigh myself until i go to the Dr. on Thursday for my one week appointment. I'm not worried about it right now. I just want to get healthy.

<p>Surgery went great! I ended up having a hiatal hernai repair too! 2 for 1! I got home yesterday and have found a way to be comfortable in my Lazy boy chair. I tried the bed, but I am a side sleeper and it is a no go right now with the abdomen swelling.</p>

<p>Fluids are going down well and I am tolerating a Isopure Protein drink. I love the Grape Frost...not to sweet, but refreshing plus Jello and Water. broth hasn't tasted good to me yet.</p>

<p>I had wonderful care at the hospital and I tried to do everything they said. Main thing...get up a walk every two hours. It gets the gas moving and makes you feel so much better. The pain has been tolerable with the meds. they give you and I got an abdomen binder which helps tremendously with getting up out of a chair. Any questions, feel free to ask. I want to share and help anyone I can.</p>

<p>I lost 11 lbs. on my one week liquid diet which I followed to a tee. You are bit bloated with all the iv fluids when you get home, so I am not going to weigh myself until i go to the Dr. on Thursday for my one week appointment. I'm not worried about it right now. I just want to get healthy.</p>

Congratulations, Sue! Did the hospital give you the abdominal binder or did you buy it yourself? 11 pounds to start is so awesome. Let everyone know what you are down at your post-op doctor's visit! Are you still walking a lot? Do you feel exhausted all the time? What pain meds did they send home with you?

My pre-op, 1-week diet consists of pre-packaged food that I had to buy from the bariatric center. I'll eat 6 times a day, but it only adds up to around 800 calories. I think I'll do okay.

It seems every doctor has different pre-op diets. Hope you can get one you can handle!

Wow Wendyt, good for you. At least you were able to have solid foods to eat. I will be on the liquid Protein for 2 weeks pre-surgery. I wish I had your pre-surgery diet. lol

Wittygirl, I asked the nurse for the binder and she got me one. Insurance paid for it. I got it Day 2. I am walking more than ever. I have fibromyalgia and knee problems and I didn't know what to expect, but with the pain meds, it makes it easy to get around. There is a lot less pain than I expected too.

I was on fentanyl in the hospital in my iv drip. They said they are using this a lot more than morphine these days. I came home with liquid oxycodone every four hours, but already today I have been able to stretch it to five hours with no problem. My goal is eight hours before I go to the Dr. on Thursday when they hope to switch me back to my Tramadol which I take for fibro muscle pain. So we shall see.

I am not hungry at all, but am sipping away when awake. At first, each sip hurt because I had a hiatal hernia repair and when the liquid hits that first it would ache for a second and then let up. Each day it gets less and less. I had shoulder pain from gas, but that is just about gone. Walking is the key for sure.And second make sure you have Gas X strips. In the hospital, they gave me infant gas drops and a few times a dissolving tablet for gas. Most of the gas now is intestinal and you want that. It is a good sign that "the plumbing" is functioning again. LOL!!!

I had such peace going into my surgery because I am an information girl and I gathered all I could. Plus my hospital was wonderful and I got to meet my nurse practitioner (NP) over my case when I went in for my pre-op blood work and she told me she would be waiting for me to come up to the floor from surgery. She was very encouraging and positive and "knows" I will be successful. How could I let someone like that down?

Just an aside, I love Pharrell Williams song, "Happy", who doesn't it!! I looked down at my feet, they give gave me socks to wear with tread and on the each side is a happy face!!!! this is one of the best and happiest decisions I have ever made.

Some more info. helpful to diabetics. I was taking four injections a day of both short-acting and long-acting insulin for a total of 106 units per day. I came home with 20 units of long lasting! Oh yes!!! This is one of the reason I did this, to be free of diabetes!!! :) Any more questions, feel free to ask, because I have nothing but time on my hands!

The preop is worse than the postop! I had a 2week preop & you still feel hungry. After the first 4 days or so, it's really not that bad. I have found, as with most things on this journey, about 90% of it is mental. Get the junk out of your house. You can do this! The payoff is SO worth it!! Best of luck.

<p>Wittygirl, I asked the nurse for the binder and she got me one. Insurance paid for it. I got it Day 2. I am walking more than ever. I have fibromyalgia and knee problems and I didn't know what to expect, but with the pain meds, it makes it easy to get around. There is a lot less pain than I expected too.</p>

<p>I was on fentanyl in the hospital in my iv drip. They said they are using this a lot more than morphine these days. I came home with liquid oxycodone every four hours, but already today I have been able to stretch it to five hours with no problem. My goal is eight hours before I go to the Dr. on Thursday when they hope to switch me back to my Tramadol which I take for fibro muscle pain. So we shall see.</p>

<p>I am not hungry at all, but am sipping away when awake. At first, each sip hurt because I had a hiatal hernia repair and when the liquid hits that first it would ache for a second and then let up. Each day it gets less and less. I had shoulder pain from gas, but that is just about gone. Walking is the key for sure.And second make sure you have Gas X strips. In the hospital, they gave me infant gas drops and a few times a dissolving tablet for gas. Most of the gas now is intestinal and you want that. It is a good sign that "the plumbing" is functioning again. LOL!!!</p>

<p>I had such peace going into my surgery because I am an information girl and I gathered all I could. Plus my hospital was wonderful and I got to meet my nurse practitioner (NP) over my case when I went in for my pre-op blood work and she told me she would be waiting for me to come up to the floor from surgery. She was very encouraging and positive and "knows" I will be successful. How could I let someone like that down?</p>

<p>Just an aside, I love Pharrell Williams song, "Happy", who doesn't it!! I looked down at my feet, they give gave me socks to wear with tread and on the each side is a happy face!!!! this is one of the best and happiest decisions I have ever made.</p>

<p>Some more info. helpful to diabetics. I was taking four injections a day of both short-acting and long-acting insulin for a total of 106 units per day. I came home with 20 units of long lasting! Oh yes!!! This is one of the reason I did this, to be free of diabetes!!! :) Any more questions, feel free to ask, because I have nothing but time on my hands!</p>

Sue, how are you doing now? I hope all is going swimmingly!

The preop is worse than the postop! I had a 2week preop & you still feel hungry. After the first 4 days or so, it's really not that bad. I have found, as with most things on this journey, about 90% of it is mental. Get the junk out of your house. You can do this! The payoff is SO worth it!! Best of luck.

90% mental....good to know! I have gotten the junk out of the house...that was very cleansing!

I probably should start a new post on how I am doing post-op, wittygirl. But things continue to go very well except for sleeping. I am having a hard time sleeping int he chair, but there is no way I can sleep in a bed. that is a tip I would give to all the pre-op people. I fortunately have a lazy-boy but if you don't, you might want to rent one for 3 weeks. This is what two friends told me I would need. You are swollen and it is impossible for me to lay on my incisions. I am doing well with getting my liquids in and getting up and walking. Feeling better than I ever imagined. Now if I could get some lseep that would be great, only 1 1/2 hours to 3 hours at a time. thanks for asking!