Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

How'd you know about the penguin hat? Lol... did I write about that? Oh... did I send you a pic? Lol. I'm a nerd.

Oh yes. Before pics. Those weren't cutting it this morning. Haha. I still felt huge and bloated, so I actually put on my size 32 jeans I was wearing last year, Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank God they fell right off of me!! Lol. I'm proudly wearing size 24. I'd really really LOVE to be a size 22 by my surgery annivesary in June. I should work on that... But I'm waiting for *someone* to kick me in the arse with a workout schedule. Haha. Until then I'm sitting on my butt whining,

Stef, someone at my support group described the same thing happening to her and her band, and she called it "mushrooming" or "muffin topping" the band. The tissue under the band swells, or is just too tight, and causes the tissue above the band (pouch) to mushroom over the top and collapse around the band. She also had to have all her fill removed. From what you describe, the band slipped a bit too. I wonder where it would go if it slipped more....it would have nowhere to go? That scares me to think of. I'm glad you're okay. This forum is such a blessing in that it provides us information so we know what to do if this ever happens to us. To make the band work, we need to be aggressive about our fills, but as we get nearer getting tight enough to slow the food down enough to make us get a full sensation, we also risk closing off during stress, TOTM, or just plain flukey swelling (me). In the case of the girl at my group, she just got too plain greedy with her fills to try to take off weight by eating nothing.

I always tell hubby that one day, they will develop a band we can loosen and tighten ourselves. Wouldn't that be awesome!

Speaking of awesome, I had lunch and dinner at costco today! A couple hummus crackers, bites of Angus burgers and a Go-Gurt and I was set! I love my band!

Senseless ramblings.......! :tongue_smilie:

Ah Suzzzie - the "curse". I can completely relate!!!! I'm just coming off of mine and I've been a tad cranky - especially since I can't have MIDOL anymore!!!!!!!

There are times when I watch my family eat. I see the huge bites or how fast they are wolfing it down and it truly makes me nauseous! Then, very sad because I know I used to do the same thing. My fill is tight so I'm still getting used to it (going on 2 months now) so I sometimes look at the food and almost cry because I want more, I know I NEED more but I just can't do it.

Back to the "curse" - mine has caused me nothing but grief since I was 12. It has adjusted the schedule to invade every important event in my life. (some were a good thing). All dances in high school, prom, college trips, wedding night, trip to Australia (this one really hacked me off, I couldn't go snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef because of it), every wedding anniversary, birthdays, my first cruise, and any other vacation/trip I've been on. I truly have the CURSE!! I even try mapping it out before scheduling a trip - my body just adjusts to make sure it can make an appearance. TMI, huh?

Awwwww Suzz, thank you for having the heart to describe your feelings about eating around your family. It has to be so hard, and I can just imagine how lonely you felt. I often feel the same way eating with my family, or friends, and they *know about my band. They don't care! LOL Maybe if your family knew and could support you in your journey.....maybe it would help....probably not. People tend to be as caring and sympathetic as they can, but unless they have the band, they can't relate. I'm sure they're happy for you that you're getting healthy though.

I actually just got tight enough for a few days that I knew how it was to eat very tiny morsels of food very slowly, and it took me a good 20 minutes to get my 1/2 cup of food in. I didn't try to eat a big bite, even chewed well and swallow it, I only took tiny pea sized bites and chewed well and swallowed. DUH moment! It actually worked! I loved that! That to me means my band is working, and I'm actually going to start losing weight! Wheeeee!

Sorry, I'm sure that doesn't help. I'm not in the "wanna pig out" stage that I will be in a few weeks when the newness of my fill wears off, or when my TOM is here and I could eat anything in sight.

Your reward is the ONE HUNDRED POUNDS you've lost! You're doing awesome!

Stef - I am sorry you are having such drastic issues. If anyone can get through it you can. You truly have made the life style changes necessary to keep the weight off.

Suzzzie - I hear ya! I am tight again, not going to say too tight yet. I had a very stressful week at work and I think it is almost my TOM. My husband and I went to eat by ourselves on Friday - all I wanted was a Margarita and nachos. Well all I could eat was 3 chips and a couple of bites of steak from my nachos. I had about 3 sips of the margarita, then sat there and tried not to PB. I took the nachos home with me and didn't do any better later. All I can think about is all the things I want to pig out on and being pissed off that I can't!

I did hop on the scale this morning and saw the magic number 199.8! I did some retail therapy, buying size 16 jeans and a XL shirt, but I am still pissed off that I can't EAT! Dang why is food so important.

anyway, if I have the magic number again in the morning, I am going to take picture of it to post!

Stef am in a panic about you as I've only just read this! I had a similar problem but the band was still in place, fortunately.

I have put on a little weight since my unfill, which I'm finding hard to deal with. Why is it when I can eat more, I do? However, that is not even an issue compared to the pain of band problems. I honestly believe that too tight a fill is a slippery slope. I know you got an unfill not too long ago. Lucky you did or it might have been worse.

thanks Suzzie - I really hate the scale right now though. I got on this morning it said 199.4, so I went to get my camera to take a picture, stepped back on and it said 200.2! I stepped on it 3 times and couldn't get it to go back down to 199.4, so no picture today. I will leave my ticker the same and keep my fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Originally posted by mjsafari

I really hate the scale right now though. I got on this morning it said 199.4, so I went to get my camera to take a picture, stepped back on and it said 200.2! I stepped on it 3 times and couldn't get it to go back down to 199.4, so no picture today. I will leave my ticker the same and keep my fingers crossed for tomorrow!

I know what you mean! I am desperately trying to get under 200lbs. Yesterday morning I was 200.8 lbs and was sure thiat this morning I would be under the 200lbs, but I have gone up to 2001.6lbs. The worst of it is I was really careful not to exceed my calories for the day. It is what we call "sods law".

Good luck I will keep my fingers crossed that you get there sometime soon.

Lol. scales suck. I got down to 279 once... and been back up to 280/281 since then. Which still pus me at 100/101 lost... so I'll take it.

I hadn't even given that any thought! I guess we really should Celebrate, huh? It's been an amazing year for us all! Has anyone thought about this?

I had thought about it on a personal level. I plan on cutting my hair and getting a make-over, take pix. I'm going to post them (with my face) so that mt LBT friends can see me.....I guess it's a BIG REVEAL

I'll be at work... Lol. I hadn't thought about it at all really. I suppose I'll do pics, to prove to myself that everything I've been through has been worth it. Haha.

Ohh - BigBaby - can't wait to see the reveal!!!

I hadn't really thought about it. I get emotional thinking about where I was a year ago and how I felt.

I think I'm going to ditch the kids and take a nice weekend away with DH and maybe do a tad of shopping :rolleyes2:

We'll have to create a 1-yr pic thread!!

HUGS junies!!

Gen (wombat)