Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I put in for medical leave and my boss asked if it was my knee do to my accident and I stated no and then she asked again and I stated it's internal and left it like that. It was weird. I'm very private and don't like talking to others about it. I don't want others asking am I ok or watching what I eat and etc. I barely know any of them. I don't know if I'm thinking a lot into it due to me being anxious. Who knows.

You said the right answer. No one needs to know accept HR for FMLA purposes.

But, I would have said the same thing too.

You tell who YOU want. Noones business.Good luck

i dealt with the same struggle (and still do). i am going to be banded (god willing) on friday, once i am cleared from my pre-op apt. tomorrow. i have told a select few of people, but none of my coworkers know. no one needs to know, except for Human Resource Dept.

You will run into this again I am sure so be prepared. People tend to be nosy, we all know that, especially co-workers. Some will genuinely be concerned. Having read many posts here, one thing I read over and over, when you tell that ONE person, that person tells another, and then everyone knows. Good luck, this is such a personal choice and I am lucky I did not have to deal with this.

Only my parents, siblings and husband know..I told my manager I was having surgery and my doctor said I needed 4wks off (work in hospital)..manager didn't ask any questions. All she asked was if I started the process for FMLA. .not telling coworkers. .I hear how most feel about wls..we have a lot of patients that comes to our department post op for recovery. .I'm extremely a private person. I didn't even tel any of my friends. .sometimes I feel soooo guilty and like I'm hiding a secret life, not sharing surgery with anyone. Especially when at work 2 of my coworkers tell me private things about themselves. .I feel like, why can't I be open like them . Then again if someone tells me something I can keep secret. .I don't spread people's business. .I can't have that trust in others. .didn't know if would feel so hard keeping this wls a secret. .don't know how or what I will say when I return to work after 4wks off. .my surgery is 4/15..or what the hell I will tell friends when I start losing weight. .soooo confused. .wish I didn't give a DAMN!

Only my parents, siblings and husband know..I told my manager I was having surgery and my doctor said I needed 4wks off (work in hospital)..manager didn't ask any questions. All she asked was if I started the process for FMLA. .not telling coworkers. .I hear how most feel about wls..we have a lot of patients that comes to our department post op for recovery. .I'm extremely a private person. I didn't even tel any of my friends. .sometimes I feel soooo guilty and like I'm hiding a secret life, not sharing surgery with anyone. Especially when at work 2 of my coworkers tell me private things about themselves. .I feel like, why can't I be open like them . Then again if someone tells me something I can keep secret. .I don't spread people's business. .I can't have that trust in others. .didn't know if would feel so hard keeping this wls a secret. .don't know how or what I will say when I return to work after 4wks off. .my surgery is 4/15..or what the hell I will tell friends when I start losing weight. .soooo confused. .wish I didn't give a DAMN!

I wish I didn't care but I do. Who knows. I'm an honest person but don't like people who judge everything and everyone. I just don't feel like hearing anyone's mouth. It bad enough my dad told me I don't need the surgery. He knows I'm having it and that's it. I wish I didn't care so much. :/ When I lose the weight, who cares how I did it and which tool I used. I know my surgery will get out especially with my family. Blah

i dealt with the same struggle (and still do). i am going to be banded (god willing) on friday, once i am cleared from my pre-op apt. tomorrow. i have told a select few of people, but none of my coworkers know. no one needs to know, except for Human Resource Dept.

Exactly! I won't tell any of them. I barely know them and it's personal! That's why I said it's internal. I'm just over it. I feel like I'm hiding things. :/

Trust your instincts and leave it at that. It's no ones business but yours.

I will be so happy when I get approved that I will be telling the whole world!!!! I could care less what others think of it... It's my body and this is the right decision.

Seriously listen to me. You can do this. What you tell friends is that you are dieting. Truth. You are changing your life. Truth. You have a diet plan of no soda, carbs, sugar, alcohol. Truth. My husband and I did this. I too felt I was not being truthful but I know in my heart my husband was right in making me promise this was our business and no one elses. People love to talk and they would be talking about us if they knew. I have lived my life too much like an open book so this was hard for me. My husband has a 30 year old son who has not said a word about his dad losing 60 lbs. Hang in there, you can do this. Hey, you are getting healthy while you recover from that hernia (like we both had) surgery and losing weight. Best of luck!

Hi. I only told my family and my boss at first. Keeping it quiet. I'm 9 months out now and after a little while I started telling people. I was ok with that. I was happy with my progress felt I made the right decision for me so I just explained it like that when people asked me. They would say things like tell me your secrete what are you doing to loose weight. Well I told them I had surgery and that I did it for my health and my kids. They were curious and asked questions about the procedure some wanted to know how to start the process to get it done for themselves. In my experience I haven't run across any negativity.

I only told a very few people and who I did I explained how sensitive a subject it was. I told my daughters daycare and a few others I had a hernia repaired because I would find myself holding my stomach at the larger incision area.