Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery April 9 and afraid I'm going to back out. Encouragement please!

LATELY I CRY ABOUT EVERYTHING! I ARGUE CONSTANTLY WITH MY HUSBAND, I FEEL SO.ALONE IN THIS. I KEEP THINKING, WHAT IF I GET A BLOOD CLOT, WHAT IF THIS, WHAT IF THAT! I HAVE A ADOPTED 2 YEAR OLD THAT I CAN'T EVEN BE A MOM TOO BECAUSE I CRY WHEN I HOLD HIM. I DONT FEEL IT'S NORMAL TO.HAVE THIS MUCH FEAR? I DONT KNOW IF THE HOSPITAL WITH GIVE ME SOMETHING FOR MY NERVES ONCE I CHECK.IN? WHAT IF I WAKE UP.STARVING? PULMONARY EMBOLISM? WHAT IF I CANT OPEN MY EYES, BUT CAN.HEAR PEOPLE.TALKING? I KNOW I.SOUND LIKE A LUNATIC, BUT IM SO.AFRAID TO GO FORWARD, I WANT GOD TO RELEASE THIS FEAR......PLEASE TELL ME SOMETHING ENCOURAGING....PLEASE. THANKS IN ADVANCE TO ALL THAT RESPOND

Uhhhh,

Its ok to feel afraid..after all this is you're life…pray about this and ask god for guidance….this is a big deal…remember this is you're life and u want to be healthier….good luck!!!

THANKS PEPPER'123, I.FEEL.SILLY, I.WORK IN THE HOSPITAL AND EVERYONE IS SO SUPPORTIVE, BUT WHEN I.COME HOME, I HAVE NOBODY TO TALK TOO. I WANT TO TALK.ABOUT IT ALL DAY EVERYDAY LOL, THANKS AGAIN!

Melinda, calm down. There is not one of us that wasn't afraid at some level prior to surgery. We are all afraid of the unknown. Yes, complications can happen but thankfully they are very rare. I am assuming since you are in the Gastric Sleeve forum, you are planning on getting the sleeve. Everybody's surgery and progress is different but all I can say is, mine was pretty uneventful. When I got to the hospital, they put in the IV and gave me something to relax me...I fell right to sleep and the next thing I remember was my husband sitting next to me in my room. It happened so quickly. I was able to go back to work after the first week and I have progressed just like the doctor said I would. Have you done your research? Maybe you might feel better if you did some counseling with a therapist to get at some of the issues that are causing you to be so fretful. Have you been attending any of the support groups offered by your surgeon's clinic? I think that might be helpful for you. I wish you the best of luck with your decision, whatever that might be.

Janet

Melinda, calm down. There is not one of us that wasn't afraid at some level prior to surgery. We are all afraid of the unknown. Yes, complications can happen but thankfully they are very rare. I am assuming since you are in the Gastric Sleeve forum, you are planning on getting the sleeve. Everybody's surgery and progress is different but all I can say is, mine was pretty uneventful. When I got to the hospital, they put in the IV and gave me something to relax me...I fell right to sleep and the next thing I remember was my husband sitting next to me in my room. It happened so quickly. I was able to go back to work after the first week and I have progressed just like the doctor said I would. Have you done your research? Maybe you might feel better if you did some counseling with a therapist to get at some of the issues that are causing you to be so fretful. Have you been attending any of the support groups offered by your surgeon's clinic? I think that might be helpful for you. I wish you the best of luck with your decision, whatever that might be.

Janet

That made me feel a lot better, It also made me think about my hernia surgery and getting something to relax me, it worked and I felt soooo much better, I just remember waking up. I just needed to hear SOMETHING POSITIVE, ive rrsearched and I see patients allll the time, but im not allowed to question them, but I can tell by day 2 most of them live in the hallways walking. thx a lot

Melinda, you will do fine. Stay positive and focused and be realistic about the recovery. You got this.

Janet

That made me feel a lot better, It also made me think about my hernia surgery and getting something to relax me, it worked and I felt soooo much better, I just remember waking up. I just needed to hear SOMETHING POSITIVE, ive rrsearched and I see patients allll the time, but im not allowed to question them, but I can tell by day 2 most of them live in the hallways walking. thx a lot

U got this, everyone is different but i was sent home the day after surgery because everything went well. I was even up walking in the recovery room a hour after surgery. Give it to God and leave it there. Keep the faith u will be just fine.

This surgery has been around since the 1960's. they've perfected it now! Think how scary it was, even 30 years ago. The best thing you can do right now in preparation, to have confidence in the outcome is hydrate yourself and walk for good circulation. That said, I was scared too. I even cried a little on the day of surgery (6 days ago). I was so scared. But i think we need to be slightly fearful so we will be compliant with Dr orders. You'll do great! Now go love that baby...:-)

Really you might be nervous now but oh my you will love it this side of the losers' bench!!