Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Apr 23 im doing my sleeve excited and nervous heres my story ....,

Im 56 been obese forever. From 2-22 at 22 I did phen phen at lost 80 lds At last i was a normal weight 5ft 4 125. From 22-50. I managed to stay at a healthy wright under 15o. Felt good in my skin and was healthy. Then menopause hit. Her i am 5 years later at 186. Please no the decision to have the sleeve has not come easy i had am bmi of 3o last sept was 175 lds and decided to cx the surgery ,,i gave it more time well more time has gotten me now another 11 lds,,,and more health issues,,,ive made the choice this time,,,i will not be going to mexico.,im self pay and will be going to lake norman weight loss in NC ,,,yes its twice the price as mexico. But the travel is a 6 hour car ride,,and i have insurance if something goes wrong,,,i am so sick of living life of an obese person.,,i am to young to feel this short of breath ..have high cholesterol. And have such bad arthritus,,,i only pray i dont miss food..,i love to go out to eat have a glass of wine or 4 lol,,,,but my mind is made up. So guys encourage me..i start my preop 2 week medifast next week,,,,hope i can adhere to it.

Hi Sha, I am also in my 50s, had my surgery about 2 years ago. Like you, I struggled with my weight but was successful (like a yo-yo) in dieting. As you get older, I was just so tiiiiiiiiireed of doing that, and I felt if I really let myself go I could be 350 in no time flat. I had had enough.

I also opted for private pay here in the US. I am close to Mexico, but chose a center of excellence because I believe strongly in the success that follow-up after surgery brings. I am a band patient and currently at goal with my weight. I just wish I would have done this in my 30s!

As for missing food, that has not been a problem for me (I was afraid of that too). I believe I now eat like a "normal" person, and I'm satisfied ... Truly ... With those portions. It is the part that has made WLS surgery successful for me, where no amount of dieting ever was.

I wish you all the very best. The liquid diet is very temporary, so keep that in mind. It also makes you feel "lighter" and healthier very quickly, so that is a plus to hold on to. Again, it is temporary, so enjoy the the "cleanse."

Hi Sha0717!

I applaud you - you have made what I feel is a positive and productive decision to have WLS and change your life and your health for the better.

I'm 51 yrs old, had the lap band surgery in 2008. I lost 85 lbs in 14 months and then 'relaxed' a bit too much and gained a little back. I'm losing the regained weight now and am determined not to stop until I hit my goal.

You've got a great plus going for you - you've lived life at a normal weight! Revisit that time in your life, feel those feelings, remember what it felt like to be healthier and stronger, and hang on to those feelings when it gets tough. Congrats again on your decision, and I wish you nothing but the best!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches