Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd Thoughts- 3 days from surgery

I am scheduled for surgery 3/11, Tuesday. I started out at 250lbs. with a goal of losing 100 lbs to get to 150 lbs.

At this time I have lost 25 lbs. pre-surgery on liquid diet and now only have 75 lbs to lose. I am wondering if anyone had less than 75 lbs to lose.

I am thinking.. wow 25 lbs came off in 2 weeks. Maybe I should keep going with this and not have surgery. I see a lot of people having to lose a lot more than I do and wonder if 75 lbs is not worthy of having this surgery. I also do not want to lose more than 75 lbs post surgery.

Any thoughts or experiences you can share?

Hi there.. My surgery is on the 12th. That's awesome that u lost so much preop! I've lost 10lbs. About your reservations regarding your surgery.. Ask yourself a few questions... How have you been on diets before? Do you gain back once you stop? With me.. I've never had a problem losing weight on diets.. It's the fact that I gain back when getting off them. The yoyo thing is bad. Keep in mind also that you can't stay on that preop diet for too much of an extended time as it's only meant to be on a couple of weeks.

I'm having the same second thoughts. I don't even have a surgery date yet but I've changed my eating and began exercising and now have lost 25 pounds. I still have 100 to lose. But my family is saying that if I can lose weight without it then I should postpone and keep going on my own. Problem is I know myself. I know my weaknesses and my limits. I won't be able to keep this up. I can do it now bc I know the surgery is close. But if I don't do it I'll just gain the weight back and fail one more time.

It is a huge step to actually go through with it. But you really need to be 100% resolved to commit. I think if you're having second thoughts there is no harm in postponing. Your approval is there. But try some more on your own. Obviously don't continue the pre op but make better choices and exercise and see if you can commit to that with no problems. I really wish you luck! And keep us posted.

Hi there. My stats are similar to yours.

In my opinion, the way you're living right now is not sustainable for you to get to the 100 pound mark. Basically what you're talking about is living on a liquid diet (Optifast, Medifast, etc) until you get to your goal. Studies show that those types of diets allow you to lose a lot of weight quickly, however, once you start introducing foods back in, the weight comes back. You need lifestyle changes - I mean, that's how we all go to our high weights.

Hi there,

I wish you the best no matter what your decision...

I had my sleeve 12/11, with similar stats as you...McButterpants was in my original "Sleeve" group on Facebook, and I had second thoughts too...so much that postponed my sleeve from November to December.

I really wish I had not worried so...the surgery was a breeze, the recovery the first two days was sore and a bit painful, but not terribly so. And now I am down almost 50 lbs and feel SO much better about myself, my body, and my future.

I agree, the weight loss through shakes, etc., can be quick, but is very, very difficult to sustain. I know, Ive done it many times. The sleeve gives you a physical barrier to overeating, and for me, it has really helped with my hunger most of the time.

God bless...

Thanks for your posts. It is much appreciated. I would not go longer with a pre-op liquid diet. I was concerned at having surgery with 75 lbs to lose, and have the concern of losing too much weight with the sleeve. And wondering if 75 lbs, was even a number that I should be having surgery for now. I have a few more days and I will post again. Thanks

Hey Aileen!! Just wanted to see how you're doing and if you went through with it!!! Hope all went well. I'm sending you healing vibes!!! Let us know please!

I totally know what you mean! I lost 15 pounds on my pre op diet, which made me start to wonder if i tried to diet again and really stuck with it it would work this time. Of course, my situation is not the same because I still had a lot more weight to lose. I broke down crying the night before my surgery and called my mom saying I was worried I made a mistake. But I am so glad I went through with it! I am 3 weeks post op and I feel great- I am down almost 30 pounds! Surgery was a breeze too- I had a pretty easy recovery with not too much pain. Anyway, whatever you decide to do, good luck! Maybe your doctor can weigh in on this. And congrats for losing the 25 lbs!