Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insomnia-sleeping with a partner

I've had insomnia all of my life. sleep has always been a big problem in my life. I was on Serzone which is an anti depression medication which they took off the market. During the 10 years I took Serzone, I slept better. It causes liver failure. I have problems with my liver because of it.

Anyway, of course after spending so many years fat and alone, it's been hard for me to adjust to the sleeping part of having a bf. I really do not like sleeping with another person. I am trying to adjust. The littlest sound will keep me from fallling asleep. I've tried ear plugs. They don't even work. The only thing that works are sleeping pills. I keep telling him I don' t want to have to drug myself heavily just to make it through the night asleep in the same bed with another person.

Does anyone else have this problem? Can anyone relate?

For me, my insomnia significantly decreased with therapy. But, I was having night terrors and didn't realize it.

I also took a few different meds over the years until my body relearned how to sleep. Some drugs that helped me without being as strong as sleeping pills: magnesium/calcium supplements, calms forte, Benadryl, trazadone (Rx), and seroquel (Rx). sleeping meds (ambian, love you nests, etc) always left me filling hung over for hours and hours. I manipulated the combo of trazadone and seroquel until it put me to sleep and kept me asleep with no hangover. (For me it was 1/2 a trazadone and 1/4 seroquel)

Now I try to manage my sleep without drugs. The more I exercise, the easier that is for me. Still, if I'm anxious or excited or have had consecutive nights of rough sleep, I'll take a Benadryl.

I have always had insomnia too. It was really bad right after surgery and I was prescribed ambien which really helped. But my doc only prescribed a few pills. I also take Elavil (antidepressant), unisom, and melatonin at night. If I don't go to bed first and fall asleep before my partner comes to bed, I cannot fall asleep. It kinda sucks.... but we make it work.

Because my husband is an occasional insomniac, total light-sleeper, I enjoy the spring, summer, and fall when he will sleep in our sun-room instead of in bed with me. It makes me much happier since my sleep is not interrupted by his need to wake me at the slightest noise. We have been happily married for nearly 12 years, living together for 16, and I think sleeping apart from him is the best decision we have ever made. I bed down with a little doggie, a cat or 2, and an occasional child, and am happy as a bug in a rug! :)

It's still really hard for me. My bf really thinks we need to sleep in the same bed every night. I wish he would just settle for dating and not staying over. I guess that's the price to pay to have a man in my life.

I had some samples of Sarquel and it worked really well but they're all gone and I can't get more. Trazadone doesn't work unless I take so much, I can't get up in the morning. I hate this so much.

I think you need to do what's best for you. He will adjust to sleeping apart, may not like it, but will accept that is what is best for you.

I've been taking Seroquel for a few years now. It has literally changed my life. Before it, I NEVER slept.