Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just throwing this out there

Each day there are more and more newly banded people here who are questioning their weight loss. You think you should have lost more or be losing more then you have. A loss is a loss whether it be pounds or inches. You are not going to lose weight every day, every week or even every month in some cases. No one that is obese ever gained 100lbs over night or some even over a year. It was a gradual weight gain that will take time to get rid of. You're questioning what am I doing wrong. If you are following the plan that your doctor put in place for you to the T then you are doing nothing wrong. As the body loses weight it has to catch up if you initially lose a lot in the beginning. People have went months with no weight loss but as long as you are not gaining you will get there. 1 to 2lbs a week is normal for a lapband patient. If it's more then you're that much more ahead of the game. Be patient, stay off the scale. Weigh yourself once a week or every other so you won't suffer disappointment and question if you made the right decision. If you can't stop weighing yourself then you have to stop being disappointed every time you don't lose. Just hang in there it will happen if you are doing exactly what you are suppose to be doing. You can't eat ice cream, cake, Cookies, potato chips and all the other junk food and wonder why the scale is not moving. Drink your Water, eat your portion size and make sure most of that is Protein, make sure you get 8 hours of sleep at night because you lose weight when you are sleeping, make sure you are moving your bowels every day and stop stressing. You will get there.

I've always been aware of what it took to lose weight and if I could lose 2 lbs a week I was grateful. But when I was banded, I got this googley eyed notion I was going to lose 10 lbs every month. And you know what? I didn't?

So, if you're new or in a stall. Do the math. Every pound put on came from 3500 calories you consumed. So, every lb of fat you lose will require you burn off 3500 more calories than you consume(easy to get googley eyed and forget this)

So, if your body needs 1400 calories a day to function normally, and let's say you walk and burn off 300 calories a day through exercise, you're body needs 1700 calories/day to maintain. And if you consume 1000 calories/day your deficit will be 700 calories a day or 4900/week. That equals about 1.4 lbs a week you'll lose. Now throw in Water weight gains and losses it's going to be up and down but mostly down. Good luck.

I've always been aware of what it took to lose weight and if I could lose 2 lbs a week I was grateful. But when I was banded, I got this googley eyed notion I was going to lose 10 lbs every month. And you know what? I didn't? So, if you're new or in a stall. Do the math. Every pound put on came from 3500 calories you consumed. So, every lb of fat you lose will require you burn off 3500 more calories than you consume(easy to get googley eyed and forget this) So, if your body needs 1400 calories a day to function normally, and let's say you walk and burn off 300 calories a day through exercise, you're body needs 1700 calories/day to maintain. And if you consume 1000 calories/day your deficit will be 700 calories a day or 4900/week. That equals about 1.4 lbs a week you'll lose. Now throw in Water weight gains and losses it's going to be up and down but mostly down. Good luck.

Excellent post! Well said and very true. Thanks for your words of wisdom - I truly appreciate this site and the fact that I can learn from others who have traveled the path.

Awesome!!! Well said.

Words of wisdom received. Thank you. I am 3 weeks out and am down just over 30# but that includes weight from pre OP and just had the stomach flu. I was so scared I was going to hurt myself by vomiting. It hurt and sounded like nothing I've experienced before. I wanted to lose quick but not by stomach flu. WARNING FOR ALL JUST POST SURGICAL, PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM PUBLIC PLACES WHILE ALL THIS ILLNESS IS GOING AROUND.