Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Canadian Bandsters - what would have made it better?

I'm curious, and would like to know, what could your chosen clinic/doctor have done (or do) that would have made the whole experience better for you?

For me:

- better follow up, more than one call in the days following surgery would have been nice. (and I hear some people get several ?)

- a clinic that really looked like something we're paying to have surgery in (this has since been changed, so yay for the newbies!)

Anyone else? (lets please not try to turn it into "Well... MY clinic did THAT, therefore it's better." thing :) )

OMG... what would have made it better five years ago, lots of things.

The clinic TLBC now has would have made it better, the seminars, fill nurses, dietician, nutritionists and all the other programs they offer would have made it better. Not waiting 9 hours at Scarborough Grace to get a fill would have made it better.

But after 5 years I have decided that what the clinic offers will never make you a success, only you can do that. You either meet your personal goals or you don't and no amount of Drs visits and pretty clinics or great staff members will get you there only you will.

I think for myself so far, being an out of province patient, more contact with the nurses in regards to phone calls. Also some support from a dietician. I guess I just expected more "montioring" on the whole after spending 16k. If it wasn't for this site I would definately be lost! Thanks for being here guys!

I agree Becca, this site has been there to answer so many of the questions that the clinics don't tell you. I really really felt rushed out after surgery....or I think I did, I really dont remember getting back to the hotel and I think that is risky. Since I returned home,no one has contacted me unless I contacted them first and that is only via email, sometimes it's reassuing to hear a voice.

HI: Better consultation by telephone for outsiders. I recognize I was partially to blame. I did some research on the doctors what was a band, but I really didn't know the questions to ask when I telephoned to see about a banding date. I was asked "what questions to you have to ask of me". How would I know, all I know is I needed help and the band was the most plausible way to go. It would have been nice for someone to have said, OK this is what it will be like and this is what you can expect. I never heard of sliming until I read it on the post. Doddie

The other thing i feel is if fills are covered if you live near the clinic, then I believe they should be covered for those of us who live outside of Ontario.They could pay the fill provider directly.

Hi: Don't you wish. We are very lucky the fills are provided free at the clinic, cause if I had to fly back to To. and then pay the fill I couldn't do it. They are a busines to make money and I think it is only a matter of time before they start charging fees. Makes sense. However, paying for fills here (if you can find anyone) is a lot cheaper than flying to TO. My only WISH is that the TLBC would compile a list of fill nurses for Canada like Dr. Cobourne does. Hunting around asking is very difficult. Doddie

It doesn't matter though who compiles the list. Just because Dr. Cobourn's office compiles the list doesn't mean you can't use it or the people on that list if you weren't banded by Dr. C.

It actually might, though... according to the website, people who've been banded elsewhere, seeking aftercare with Cobourn/Mumford will only be accepted if they have Inamed/Allergen bands, because thats what they use and are trained with/for.

So... if they won't do fills on other bands, maaaaybe the fill dr's they've trained, won't either? Who knows, its prob. up to the fill dr's if they want to venture into other bands... its not like the ports are really different.. right?

yeah...cause regardless of the type of band used, the ports are the same and the fill is done in the exact same manner.

I have thought about this for a bit, and I agree with the comment about care after surgery.

I found the paperwork that they gave me at the clinic was often different from what the nurses told me after my surgery. As an example, the paperwork said liquids for 2 weeks post op, but only mentioned clear fluids. The nurse told me, and my wife, the day of my surgery that full liquids like Gardenney Soups was fine after 24 hours. I was confused, but opted to have the Gardenney Soups.

I also found the day before appointment to be a waste of time. I could have come in to TO a day later and saved hotels etc. to avoid sitting with Dr.C for 5 minutes and have him ask me if I had any questions.

I am a little miffed about fills as well. I dont mind paying for them here, because I dont want to go to TO, but maybe knock $500 off the price for out of province patients who will ahve to pay for fills at home.

Lately, I have had trouble getting a call into the clinic. Apparently they are having trouble with thier phone lines. I will chalk that up to the move, but it is frustrating when trying to get through.

Finally, booking my fill was a clusterf*ck. I called 3 weeks before I was due for my fill and told them I wanted to book it. They told me that it was too soon, and I told them that is what it is like in AB. I took thier advice and called back a week before I needed it, and they would book it for me. So I call back a week ahead of time, and the other person that I talked to said "Oh, just call the Dr. in Calgary and book a time". Not what I was told was the process, so I call in Calgary, and they say that the clinic has to book it and that they are now booking in to April 20:mad: . I convinced the receptionist in Calgary to hold me a time which was 5 days before I was allowed to have a fill, and then have to phone TO to get them to send the paperwork to my fill Dr. in Calgary. A different nurse tells me this is how not to book a fill, and I told her that the last person I talked to told me to do this. I also expalined that if you want a Dr. appt in Calgary, you better book it AT LEAST a month in advance. She said "oh".

Everything worked out fine, and I told them my concern, and they did listen, but I would have been livid if I had missed my forst fill by 3 weeks because I was damn hungry by that point.

I dont want to seem like I am griping about the clinic I used, as I have been really happy with my experience, I just think that there needs to be a little more attention given to instrustions and things like that. Also, a list of resource like a dietician would be nice to refer to if I needed.

Andrew

Hi: I contacted the fill nurse recommendeb by Dr. C and was refused flatly. She asked where I got her name so I told her the internet and there was no mention of having to be a Dr. C. patient. She replied "well there is". Doddie

Well I agree it would have been great if Dr. C had moved his office before the surgery (originally he was supposed to be moved into the new office before the date of my surgery) It is so nice now and I think my mom would have felt more comfortable leaving me at the new place than their old one.

I would have liked to have recieved a better diet plan or meeting with a dietician. Even an example of an ideal meal plan for a week would have been helpful. I find I am sort of following my old weight watchers, but then again I have run into problems with finding food that agrees with the band.

Anyway I am lucky enough to live in Toronto near to Dr. C so no issues with the post op care.

Andrew I agree with the phone business. Oh and on that note my mom did call one night after a really bad PB night and left a msg about me being in extreme pain and no one called the next day. It turns out I wasn't dying like my mom panicked and thought, but I thought for sure I would get a call to confirm if things were okay in the morning.

Anyway over all I am quite satisfied with my choice of clinic's and these are minor things in the larger picture :)

Okay, my story...

I love Dr. C.....and I loved Marie. That's why I am happy with my surgery and experience. I felt absolutely and totally trusting of both of them. Thats why I went there for my surgery. Having said that. I find that things get a little confusing around the office. I feel that they need to tell a couple of the secretaries to smile. The pre-op and post-op diets should be more specific and detailed in booklet form, or something to refer to 1000 times.

I am EXTREMELEY happy with my experience, and would recommend Dr. C to anyone. But, since you asked.........