Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 days post op question

I had RNY on Monday. I came home from the hospital last evening. Since I've been home, I've noticed every time I try to sip my Water, Protein Drink or take my medicine, it feels like it sticks in my throat. Or maybe it feels a little bit like reflux. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?

I think that is pretty normal, for just out of surgery. You have to remember that 1) you had a tube down your throat during surgery (anesthesia, etc.) and 2) you have swelling from the "invasion" into your body with the surgery. You will be adjusting to what you eat, how you eat it, etc. for some months to come. But, for the first few weeks (minimum), you will have times that stuff gets "stuck" or hurts to swallow (but shouldn't be severe pain)...it's normal. Just try to follow the doctor's recommendations on type/amount of Protein shakes, food and liquids...even if it doesn't seem like it's enough to sustain you...it is...and you'll heal so much better (without stretching out anything) if you hold to their guidelines STRICTLY. If you have true PAIN, not just discomfort, call them; otherwise, it sounds like you are just still in the healing phase. Best of luck on your journey!!!

Thank you for your quick response. I just wanted to make sure it was normal. I actually just got sick and vomited a little. I hope that is normal too.

Yes, it's pretty normal. BUT...you don't want to stretch your pouch, so try not to heave violently or anything. Obviously, there is only so much you can do about that, but try to keep input small and keep it down, rather than trying to do too much and throw up. Also, make sure your meds aren't too big...my MD said no bigger than an M&M, especially right after surgery. (Some say it needs to fall through a straw, but mine said a little bit bigger than that is okay...wouldn't you just figure they would use something like an M&M as a "model"????? LOL...I guess that's one size they know we will ALL be familiar with!!!????

If you feel things sticking then stop drinking or eating for 5 mins and then see if you can have a bit more.

I think I am drinking too fast. I called my nurse and she said to slow it down.

I have had this at different times even if I felt that I was going slow and or chewing well. If I continue then I will have to throw up. If I wait for it to settle then most times it goes down. It's like learning another language.

Sip, Sip, Sip. The surgeon described to me what the pouch looked like. Since you are so new and have a very young pouch it's very small. It is about the size of your thumb from the tip to the first joint. So, obviously not much room. Water and other liquids could very well fill you up very fast. Take small sips of the liquids, and take it slow. Only one every few minutes. Yes, it will take you awhile to "eat" your shake, but that's the idea. Follow their guidelines to a T. Do not deviate one little bit from them. Do not rush the process. It will eventually get better, but for now do exactly what they say to avoid complications.