Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Something is wrong, not sure what yet.

Okay, so for the past 8 months or so I've been having band issues. It got really bad about 4 months ago with vomiting up everything I ate some days (no nausea accompanying), able to eat anything I wanted and as much of it as I wanted other days, and severe heartburn. The heartburn had me puking up blood which the doctor said was likely an ulcer. Found out I was pregnant and decided to wait to go to my Dr for a scope etc. since it was likely pregnancy related. I get severe morning sickness so really thought this was the case.

Out of the first trimester now and I'm still down 5 pounds since finding out I was pregnant again. I've currently 17w4d. The nurse commented today how I looked like I'd been losing quite a bit of weight. I'm still in my regular clothes, but my abdomen is getting bigger, I can feel the top of my uterus growing etc. My OB isn't concerned about the weight loss because baby is growing and I'm still 178 pounds so not like I don't have weight to lose.

Anywho, here are my symptoms now - really can't keep much of anything down some days, even Water. Other days I can keep just about anything down and can eat large portions - not huge portions but what most consider 'normal adult male' portion. I have severe heartburn that I manage with prilosec, which some days does come up. I only have 4.5 cc in my band as I had a cc out during the last pregnancy and never had it put back in because the issue started.

I need to see my Dr but the baby is already going to cost so much I'm trying to hold off. Any ideas? Tips? Advice? Can I 'wait this out' or do I really need to be seen now?

You really need to see your bariatric doctor asap! Call asap!

Hot Butter Fly - Yes, LOL, it feels all over the place too. I can eat two enchiladas some sittings. Others, I get down a few bites and everything comes up within a few minutes. It's crazy, I don't understand the extremes happening or varying day to day.

You should see your Dr.....

having said that, I cannot even think about eating an enchilada....well maybe, but it is too risky for me so I will not try...

Just saying...there is a combination of things that must come into balance for the band to work successfully...

The foods we eat, (some foods are just not band friendly) HOW we eat (fast-slow, big-small, chew, etc) and of course having the band adjusted optimally....

We are obese because we have very bad eating habits, picked up from years of doing them over and over...

Getting WLS means we have to change those bad habits...or none of this is going to work....

And we cannot recognize what those bad habits are...part of being obese...DENIAL

If someone explained to me, before I had this surgery...How little food I would be eating daily, and what foods I would no longer be eating...ever...I would say they were crazy...NO ONE can live like that...it isn't normal....

And in the beginning, those first few months, I was constantly learning my lessons the hard way, numerous stuck episodes, sometimes 2-3 a day...I was thick headed...I was in denial....FINALLY I started to learn...and the way I am today could not have even been imagined 3-4 years ago....

NOT SAYING THIS IS YOU.....like someone said, you're all over the place...GO SEE A DR.!

Sounds very much like you have had a slip. You do need to see your bariatric doctor. Hopefull everything can be solved easliy. Congrats on you rpregnancy, and take care of both of you. Karen..aka.kll724

if something is wrong or not right and you cant eat or drink, please call the doctor

not only for yourself but for that healthy child growing inside....that is what is important.

Call the doc! Something serious could be very wrong.

You cannot wait this out. You need an unfill so that you can eat normally for your baby. I lost weight during my first trimester with my daughter and wasn't very concerned, but she was born at 31 weeks. Did the weightloss and lack of nutrition have something to do with it? It certainly didn't help. I should also remind you that your baby will take from your body what it needs to develop. So if you treasure your: hair, skin, nails, teeth, blood counts and vital nutrients, get unfilled and provide adequate nutrition for your baby. The weightloss can wait. Good luck to you.

I need to see your doctor maybe u had a slip

OK Kylee have you called your doctor?

We all understand the costs when it comes to finance but no amount of money is worth your life or that of your child. Most people from what I understand have their bands totally unfilled when they are pregnant so that their baby can get all the nutrition it needs.

Yes the baby will take from you what it needs, but you will suffer and the more you are depleted the harder your baby has to work to get what it needs and could soon become depleted as well in which case you could be at risk for all sorts of gestational abnormalities and complications you don't want.

If you have not called your bariatric doctor please do so today, you don't necessarily have to be scoped but he should know that you are pregnant and having these eating issues.

Hormones are going to cause you to have different eating patterns where you might be more hungry from day to day, some of us have issues during TOM where we are tighter and can't eat as much and then looser again. Being pregnant your hormones are all going to be up and down and all around this could affect your band depending on the level of fill you have which is why I think doctors like to un-fill the band during pregnancy.

As Pretty Thick said earlier weight loss can wait, now is time for you to take care of your health and that of your baby. Call your Dr. today!! (if you haven't already)

Congrats and Best wishes to you and your little one!!

Edited by lisacaron

Thabks for concern for little one. Actually had that appt yesterday and the jelly bean is doing awesome!

Called my Dr today and receptionist is working with insurance to get me in and she says from what I'm saying I likely need to have the band out and a revision.

I'll update more once I actually see my Dr.

Thabks guys!

I had similar complications with my band when I was pregnant with my son. I ended up having to have it unfilled completely. I was afraid with the vomiting if risk a slip. I gained almost all of my weight back, and I just got a fill Friday to start getting it back off again.

If I were in your shoes, I'd make an appt with your surgeon as soon as you can!

With my first pregnancy, I was sick the entire nine months, vomited blood, went from 141 lb to 112 lb by 24 weeks, 130 at term. The baby was born on his due date 7lb 13 oz. I weighed 117 when I was discharged.

He's a healthy 5' 11" 190 lb Executive VP of a major corporation. It's your body that sacrifices. My metabolism was never the same after that pregnancy.

I would get a bit of an unfill (recommended before the start go the third trimester). It will help you eat healthily and maintain your metabolism.

Congrats!