Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery tomorrow and nervous

Hi Everyone. My time has come. My surgery is tomorrow Jan 22. I'm sooooo nervous. I'm not nervous about the surgery so much. I'm nervous about the life changes in my near future. I'm nervous not knowing what I'll be able to eat. I'm nervous about getting stuck. I'm nervous learning how to eat properly. Please all you vets tell me why I'm doing this. Give me words or wisdom and confidence.

Ps I have a goal of losing 80 pounds. And I would love to make that happen within the first year.

I did it because "my mind out talks my body". A friend of mine said that to me about why she had surgery. I thought about those words over and over all the way into the O.R. It is SO true. I am no "vet", and I'm still in recovery (1-month post-op) but I can tell you I'm still happy with my decision. The first week I was happy, the 2nd week not so much, and each week I am working through the emotional more and more. Strangely enough, the closer I get to being on regular foods again, the more scared I am. This forum is a FANTASTIC resource - WAYYY better than watching YouTube! Before surgery, I was concerned about the caution foods...that's what they are, "caution" because some people can eat them and some can't. Now, those foods scare me enough that I don't want to find out. I haven't thrown up and I don't want to. I've taken getting to food VERY slowly so as to heal fully. Good luck! This is YOUR journey!!

Ok, Shelly! Here's your pep-talk. You researched this procedure. You know that you want to lose weight and... This is your chance!! You GOT THIS!

I'm hoping your doctor gave you a list of things that you can eat post-op!?

As far as mushies, watch your calories and work in your Protein first, then blend away. You can make just about anything mushie.

Hmmm! Knowing what you can and cannot eat? First all, stay away from your triggers, rather its sweet or salty. Look for healthy alternatives. Most of the bandsters go through the dreaded "band Hell". That's when you have your band in place but with no saline so its like there's nothing there... but just remember this too shall pass.

I struggle sometimes because I have 2 kids at home that I have to cook for and sometimes all I want is a little Protein and a popsicle. I've found my way...I cook healthier food for my entire family but that just happened in the last month or so.

Finally, when you do start eating regular food. Always remember protein first no more than a cup on your plate. Don't eyeball it until you've been doing it for awhile. Measure everything and watch your calories. As I'm sure you know, the more calories you eat and if you don't use those they turn into fat.

All that being said, I'm not a Dr. some would still call me a newbie, but I'm speaking from my own personal experience. Nice small healthy portions, use smaller plates and forks, chew until you cant chew anymore and you will have a good experience. And Oh! I've been stuck on some homemade chicken noodles. I know I'm being dramatic here but Oh Lordy I thought I was dying! It was my fault ate too quickly

Follow your doctors advice first and foremost... but girly I'll always be here to support you anyway I can.

Best Wishes on your surgery!

Shelly you'll do GREAT! The feelings you're having are completely normal, I felt the same way. The most solid advice I can give you is to LISTEN to your Dr. and LISTEN to your band. If you do this and follow their instructions to the T you WILL be successful!!!

Good luck! Let us know how you're doing:-)

You're doing this to feel better and look better...and to be able to maintain the weight loss. Everyone is/was nervous about the changes coming to our lives. You'll incorporate these changes, they will become your new norm at some point, and you will do great. Good luck!

Hi Shelly, congratulations on your surgery date tomorrow. Exciting times! Won't it be great to be able to keep up with your little cutie-pies and not to feel fatigued, old before your time and coping with an increasing number of other health issues. I'm 52 and oh, to have done this sooner! I was banded November 5th and my life is so much easier now. Before the surgery I was worried about making changes, like would I still be able to throw wonderful dinner parties and enjoy them, could I dine out in restaurants occasionally and be able to eat, would I do alright at other people's houses, etc. It's a breeze. And when I heard about the one cup portions I was pretty sure that would never ever work for me. Would I be the one person who couldn't make the band work for me? Well, it works beautifully. It's amazing how my brain is not asking for more food now. I feel relieved of that constant chatter -- like I've been released from food jail. Good luck tomorrow and we can't wait to hear how you're doing. Don't forget to walk like crazy! That really helps in every possible way. Best wishes!

Two years banded. So, I guess you'd call that a vet. I'm just shy of 100 lbs lost.

Remember this quote... "A year from now, you'll be glad you were banded today!" (LOL, or in your case, tomorrow).

I am a self-pay bandster. I forked out a lot of cash ($16K). I would do it again in a heartbeat. My life has changed in a million different ways... and I love it! So will you...

Good luck tomorrow!

Hi Shelly,

I had my lap band procedure done on 1/17 and I feel great! I did all my research and decided this was the tool to help me reach my goal. I have never had any surgical procedure before, so I was exceptionally nervous. Immediately post op the hardest thing is to move, but once you do you will feel so much better. I was up walking around the next day with moderate discomfort - thankful for the pain meds :)

My best advice is to make sure you have a lot of options on hand for liquids. I immediately was bored with Protein shakes. They are often too sweet and I am a savory food lover. I recommend double-straining broth based Soups so you get the flavor - chicken noodle, french onion, vegetable. Also, stay hydrated you will feel so much better.

Best of luck to you! You will do great!

Can't wait to hear about your progress!

Edited by MelC4489

Tomorrow I will be five weeks postop. I feel great. I'm doing great. Got my first fill today.

My appetite changed just from having the band even with no Fluid in it. Some people say it doesn't restrict them at all and they're still going out and eating a 6" sub and a bag of chips. I say DONT DO THAT. Learn to stop eating when you're not hungry. Don't wait till you're full. You don't need that much food. And eat healthier than that.

Also, don't be afraid to try foods. Everyone is different. I had a lady at work who had an unsucessful lapband experience who keeps trying to tell me, don't eat this, don't eat that. I just ignore her. I've been able to eat what I want. Reheated (dry) chicken did give me a couple of stuck episodes but I recognized it immediately (because I'm on here every day) and stopped eating. I have not PB'ed or slimed. And I don't plan on it. I have practiced every day, eating slower, chewing my food. Not to say that eating too fast hasn't given me some discomfort sometimes.

You will do great! Come here for support. Watch what you eat. Eat smaller, longer, and healthier and you will be a lapband success.

Best wishes on your surgery!

you are doing this because everything else has failed. you have fantazied for a while now what it would be like to lose weight. how good clothes would feel, how good it would feel to walk without huffing a puffing, how good it would feel to play, walk, exercise again. how good sex will be , how god it will feel to hold your head up high without feeling embarrsed about the way you look. and the most important is to look fantastic in front of all the skinny binnys that likely talked behind your back. one more thing that i thought about was going to my husbands work picnic wearing shorts or sundress and look great, somebody i know will have to say look at her at her age. yeah i cant wait. i want it so bad and so do you.

Just relax(easier said than done!) and know that this is the best decision you will ever make for yourself! I am 4 months and 1 week out and I just recently hit the 50lb mark of weight loss! I think 80lbs in 1 year is totally achievable but you have to work at it! I will admit, It has been hard work but it's so rewarding and easy to keep going knowing that working hard (with the help of my band) that these results are going to stay!

I was terrified and still am of eating the wrong things, too big of portions, getting stuck... etc which I will admit I do sometimes...not everyone is perfect. I don't beat myself up when I do something wrong I just look at it as yesterday!

I've had 1 stuck episode but it went down by just walking around for a while. I haven't PBd or thrown up yet and I hope I don't but hey it's part of the band sometimes and if it happens occasionally it's worth it if that means keeping weight off and maintaining :))

I am faithful with my fitness pal (username: laurengrayy) if you'd like to follow me on there.

Good luck you will rock this!!!

I'm not a vet yet, but I am down 65lbs in 8 months. I'm working on being at goal by my bandiversary in May. You got this. One day at a time. It's a journey not a trip. 1-2 lbs a week and you get there.