Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What causes regain?

In your experience, is it just part of the body finding its new set point; is it from eating more cuz you can? Is it returning to old habits cuz you're bored with the food plan restrictions? Is it a return of hunger after the stomach is acclimated to its new performance, and ghrelin increases, and why is it I read many vets wish the could lose "another 10-20#"? I am 5.5 months out, when I have WL starts slowing down.

A lot of times we forget to make losing the weight the first priority; many of us have been denied life fo so long that we eagerly dive in. I have noticed that the people who successfully made it to goal or even further, and did so relatively soon, were the onces who focus only on losing the weight in the first 12 months post-op. Not fitness, nutrition, exercise, or anything else, just Protein, carbs, calories.

A lot of times we forget to make losing the weight the first priority; many of us have been denied life fo so long that we eagerly dive in. I have noticed that the people who successfully made it to goal or even further, and did so relatively soon, were the onces who focus only on losing the weight in the first 12 months post-op. Not fitness, nutrition, exercise, or anything else, just Protein, carbs, calories.

. Not true for me

I made goal in 10 months. I always ate high carbs and fat. My focus was on doing what was/ is sustainable for me so there was no such thing has no-no foods unless it was simply because I didn't like the taste.

I rely heavily on Protein drinks in the mornings. I take my vits with juice because I get nauseated if I take them with Water. I do drink about a gallon of Water every day. I also have a meal with seafood and leafy veggies everyday. My main Snacks (because I'm a creature of habit) are peanuts and cole slaw.

I do exercise 6 days a week

Doesn't every woman want to lose another 10-15#? Alot of times we really are talking vanity pounds....

Why do people regain? Maintenance is work, takes focus and sometimes lacks the excitement of losing. So far I have treated maintaining much like losing phase and when I don't -the. pounds creep back.

Doesn't every woman want to lose another 10-15#? Alot of times we really are talking vanity pounds....

Why do people regain? Maintenance is work, takes focus and sometimes lacks the excitement of losing. So far I have treated maintaining much like losing phase and when I don't -the. pounds creep back.

I haven't reached goal yet but I have already decided that maintaining will not be any different than my life right now. We can never return to the people we used to be because it didn't work for us. I am going to continue with what has been working and be very conscious of what my patterns are. Being honest with ourselves it the best gift we can give ourselves. :)

In your experience, is it just part of the body finding its new set point; is it from eating more cuz you can? Is it returning to old habits cuz you're bored with the food plan restrictions? Is it a return of hunger after the stomach is acclimated to its new performance, and ghrelin increases, and why is it I read many vets wish the could lose "another 10-20#"? I am 5.5 months out, when I have WL starts slowing down.

Grazing will cause weight gain. My Dr. Says 3-4 meals a day and you only eat for 30 min. It's the in between snacking that will get you.

1. Yes, I believe our bodies DO have a set point and many times, it's higher than the goal weight we are striving for or have reached. For me, I found that I reached goal VERY easily in 8 months. 100 pounds gone. Boom. I IMMEDIATELY changed my eating patterns somewhat and for a while all was fine. But it's been proven you need to "hold" a weight for a certain period of time for your "setpoint" to really adjust to that weight 2. Not so much bored with eating plan, I think it is hard for some of us to realize that TRULY we WILL revert to old habits. Of bad eating easier than we ever believe possible. A little here, a little there and over a period of two and half years I regained 27 pounds. 3.I think most of the "vets" will agree (there are a few lucky ones) who will tell you that hunger does return and yes, the dreaded ghrelin can still be produced. Now, some of the actual hunger CAN be increased stomach acid which most don't realize it's that and keep eating to "fill" the hunger pangs. My PCP says he thinks everybody should probably take a small dose acid reducer like Prilosec daily. I have a prescription and use it sporadically because I HAVE found more acid reflux in the last few months. 4. Lose a few more pounds? I had to find a way of maintenance that WORKED for me and that I felt confident in doing. For me, I stumbled onto 5:2 lifestyle, lost the regain, back to original goal of 150, lost another ten and now down another pound on way to another 5 down. With that said, yes, some might be considered vanity but after looking at charts, my age, etc I decided to be at the bottom of my ideal weight range to have a true "bounce" of 3-4 pounds. So far, so good. I think my body has somewhat adjusted easier to this lower weight using 5:2 and Knowing that I Will be disciplined in my approach to eating. Like others have said, realistically, we will NEVER be able to just live as if we were never obese. Our bodies are somewhat metabolically altered. What it takes for a non-obese person to maintain is clearly different from a WLS person (go to research section and read some of the articles). I have been slack in the last couple of weeks and allowed less clean eating than in prior weeks but I know I will be fasting Tuesday and Thursday (500 cals) to help clean up my act! Hope that helps answer some questions.

Edited by Georgia

Metabolism. If you have a sensitive metabolism that is not yet injured by long years of dieting and abuse, you are more likely to be able to adjust, add back good carbs, and control your weight with portion and choice, plus exercise.

OTOH, if you have a resistant metabolism, you will find that only VLCD , no carbs, and exercise will allow you to maintain the loss. Eventually you will not be able to keep up this regimen. Injury, depression, life events, etc happen to all of us. Once the regain starts, it is hard to get the metabolism to lose or hold weight loss.

I tried to get the DS and was unsuccessful, with a total regain of 50#. Back On Track and working with a coach have helped me, at 4 years out, to lose an initial amount of weight. I hope it will eventually allow me to get back to my best weight which was -144#. Lots of emotional and headwork necessary for most people to make and maintain the change...{:>} rdc

Edited by RickyDSleever

Thank you for sharing this.

I am very carb sensitive - it has been the "rosetta stone" of figuring out how to get to a normal weight. I do eat carbs, but I find that restricting them is more important than restricting calories because carbs trigger hunger too!

I have a healthy fear/respect of regain. This is why I still weigh myself daily and maintain a tight "bounce" range. I am fairly sure that if I ever stop it, i will regain.

I am only 2 years and 3 months out from my sleeve surgery. My hunger initially returned after about 7/8 months but I have recently encountered yet another uptick in hunger. I think that for many of us that is something to be dealt with. It is STILL much better than the 24/7 all consuming hunger I felt pre op.

Metabolism. If you have a sensitive metabolism that is not yet injured by long years of dieting and abuse, you are more likely to be able to adjust, add back good carbs, and control your weight with portion and choice, plus exercise.

OTOH, if you have a resistant metabolism, you will find that only VLCD , no carbs, and exercise will allow you to maintain the loss. Eventually you will not be able to keep up this regimen. Injury, depression, life events, etc happen to all of us. Once the regain starts, it is hard to get the metabolism to lose or hold weight loss.

I tried to get the DS and was unsuccessful, with a total regain of 50#. Back On Track and working with a coach have helped me, at 4 years out, to lose an initial amount of weight. I hope it will eventually allow me to get back to my best weight which was -144#. Lots of emotional and headwork necessary for most people to make and maintain the change...{:>} rdc

If I'm honest with myself, I know that for me, maintenance is going to require hard work and discipline for the rest of my life. I'm extremely sensitive to sugar, and somewhat to other carbs. Early trials with "in moderation" eating led me right back into the old binge eating habits I thought I'd conquered, and I put back on more weight than I really like to admit out loud. Last year I started off back on track and made it six weeks before falling back into sugar habits, fought them all year and ended the year yet another 10 pounds heavier than I'd started it. This year I'm doing better, I've got half my regain off and am hoping to get back to my happy weight. I know that to achieve that FOR ME will require staying off sugar. I envy those of you who can handle it in moderation, but I've learned where that approach takes me - to a closet full of clothes I can't fit into.

I think we all have to figure out what works for us, what our triggers and challenges are, and what will work. I also suspect many of us will need to continue to adjust along the way if we want to maintain. Life happens, motivation flags, injuries can sideline our fitness routines, and aging will change our metabolisms. It is what it is. I always liked Dr. Sharma's urging to live the healthiest life you can enjoy. It's a balance.

Ricky, I hope you are successful in finding the new paths that will work for you.

1. Yes, I believe our bodies DO have a set point and many times, it's higher than the goal weight we are striving for or have reached. For me, I found that I reached goal VERY easily in 8 months. 100 pounds gone. Boom. I IMMEDIATELY changed my eating patterns somewhat and for a while all was fine. But it's been proven you need to "hold" a weight for a certain period of time for your "setpoint" to really adjust to that weight 2. Not so much bored with eating plan, I think it is hard for some of us to realize that TRULY we WILL revert to old habits. Of bad eating easier than we ever believe possible. A little here, a little there and over a period of two and half years I regained 27 pounds. 3.I think most of the "vets" will agree (there are a few lucky ones) who will tell you that hunger does return and yes, the dreaded ghrelin can still be produced. Now, some of the actual hunger CAN be increased stomach acid which most don't realize it's that and keep eating to "fill" the hunger pangs. My PCP says he thinks everybody should probably take a small dose acid reducer like Prilosec daily. I have a prescription and use it sporadically because I HAVE found more acid reflux in the last few months. 4. Lose a few more pounds? I had to find a way of maintenance that WORKED for me and that I felt confident in doing. For me, I stumbled onto 5:2 lifestyle, lost the regain, back to original goal of 150, lost another ten and now down another pound on way to another 5 down. With that said, yes, some might be considered vanity but after looking at charts, my age, etc I decided to be at the bottom of my ideal weight range to have a true "bounce" of 3-4 pounds. So far, so good. I think my body has somewhat adjusted easier to this lower weight using 5:2 and Knowing that I Will be disciplined in my approach to eating. Like others have said, realistically, we will NEVER be able to just live as if we were never obese. Our bodies are somewhat metabolically altered. What it takes for a non-obese person to maintain is clearly different from a WLS person (go to research section and read some of the articles). I have been slack in the last couple of weeks and allowed less clean eating than in prior weeks but I know I will be fasting Tuesday and Thursday (500 cals) to help clean up my act! Hope that helps answer some questions.

Whats the 5:2 diet?

Whats the 5:2 diet?

There is a post stickied on the top of the Veterans Forum, but here is a link:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/291240-52-links-and-info/

On the original topic, I am sure I am over simplifying things, but for me, this has worked for the past 2 years that I have been maintaining. I still basically follow the original guidelines for the VSG patient:

• I don't drink with my meals
  • I eat my lean Protein first
  • I chew really well and put my utensil down in between bites assessing how I feel before taking the next bite
  • Exercise. I don't exercise anywhere NEAR what I did when I was in the losing phase as I have had a couple back surgeries, but I still do SOMETHING to get moving
  • Have nutritionally relevant, balanced meals

I just posted this in another thread where someone was asking how to get back on track. Here is my reply:

Every time I put something into my mouth, I ask, "Why am I doing this?"

If it is a treat, I ask if I have had a nutritionally balanced day so far. If the answer is "No", then I ask another question, "Am I feeling the symptoms of HALT? (Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired) If I am hungry and the food is what I call nutritionally relevant, then I eat it. If it isn't, then I get something that has nutritional value. If I am wanting to eat to satisfy one of the other symptoms, then I focus on that and do some root cause analysis. For me, this is when the real work to address my poor relationship with food take place. This is the reason why I was morbidly obese to begin with. I ate not to feed my body, but to feed something else.

I am a work in progress. As we say, the sleeve is but a tool. I still need to do the work.

I still eat crap, but only after I have satisfied everything else. I have a huge chocolate chip cookie after lunch just about every day. But only after I have done everything else I have described above. I know tonight for dinner I have a pot roast with vegetables waiting for me. That will round out my day nutritionally. Will I have a cookie later on? I doubt it, but I might, if I go for a long walk and my head is in the right place.

Edited by PdxMan

Hi K33, thanks for the great question, I am going to move it to a non-vets only forum, where vets and others can answer. This forum is for 12 month or more out vets only to post.

I think it was a complex of different things that started my regain... more hunger, long term company, vacation eating and an injury... and not keeping my eye on the ball every day so to speak. Bam, 22 pounds up. It took a while to get it off, using the 5:2, I am at goal now... but still acting like I am in the losing phase to just stay here. I weigh, log and keep track of exercise every day now.... no mater what... if I eat like crap I write it down. At three+ years this is working for now!

Wow! Reading through this post has been so helpful. I just had my surgery (sleeve) 5 days ago and I'm grateful for the information and experiences you all have shared. Like Escape_Pod I have always struggled with sugar. For me it is an addictive drug and having a little just makes me want more. I believe to be successful I will have to completely cut it out.