Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone regret having WLS?

I'm not really asking about folks who experience significant complications that lead to regret. I am wondering if I will regret that I didn't just tough it out and lose on my own.

I have low 100 pounds already, albiet over ten years, and I don't want to keep that pace going -- it's up and down up and down, losing, regaining some but not all, beating myself up and then losing again.

My surgery is Thursday and if I cancel, not a big deal, I have to pay a $50 fine but I am thinking of canceling.

I have lost 25 pounds since September without surgery, 100 overall. So I know I can lose without surgery. So why am I having the surgery?

Is it really much easier to lose with a RnY?

What say anyone?

HELL NO! Next question?

you can loose the weight, we all can...BUT can you KEEP IT OFF????? that is most people's problem......

good luck w whatever you decide!

My weight has went up and Dow my entire life. I'm 5' 1" I'm usually 135 2 yrs later 175, then 150 then 200. Its been like that forever. I have been told more than once I have an eating disorder. Up and down is bad for our bodies. I had my surgery to stop the times I over eat... and it has, I encourage you to do it, you will be glad to beat this addiction once and for all. Don't cancel

I too know that I can lose all the weight without surgery, I have done it... But I cannot maintain it. Once you are obese those fat cells never go away, they just shrink and they are so quick to expand again! I wanted the tool mostly for maintenance, the extra weight loss is just an added bonus for me. Plus the sooner I get off the excess weight the better off i will be and the less opportunity for other weight related issues to arise.

Loosening weight is not an issue. The issue of concern is after the surgery. Maintaining low weight is hard, specially if you love to eat. Workout benefits in those cases.

Thanks for all the sharing.

I have lost 100 pounds already. I have dipped 20 pounds lower than I was and, yes, I have the ups and downs, although they aren't wild swings. Lose 30, regain 10, lose 30 more, regain 10 .. .

I am well aware of the up and down weight issue, having lived it. I just wanted to know if anyone regrets the surgery.

What bothers me is rerouting the way my body converts food to life fuel. A million years of evolution and we trust a few doctors -- men for the most part who invented the procedures and who are very judgmental about fat females (I know fat men have the surgery too) . . I don't trust modern medicine at all and it took about a million years for our digestive tracts to evolve to where they are and then in four decades docs come up with a better plan, incentivised to make money, push meds and suppls with their ressearch paid for by drug corporations . . I don't trust the system.

I know fat cells fight hard to regain weight.

I also know something not all reading know: I have Type I diabetes, diagnosed last year after being told for 10 years I was JType II. If I was Tpe II, I'd have the surgery in a heartbeat for it definitely improves Type II but it does not improve Type I, which is about the pancreas no longer being able to make insulin. My motivations for the surgery changed and I was already deeply skeptical.

I don't really expect to find spuport in a forum of happy WLS patients but I'd sure like some opinoins other than pro-surgery.

I was supposed to have the RnY this Thurs Jan 16 and I just got off the phone postponting. Every corner of my being says 'don't do it'. Do I listen to my inner voice or surgeons who want to cut? I don't know.

My primary care doc initially pushed when she thought I was Type II -- 'type I changes things. My endocrinologist was adamantly against it.

And I am not a compoulsive overeater. I got fat from a drug regimen I was on for 12 years that make me blow up 200 pounds in the blink of an eye. Another reason not to trust medicine, allopathic medicine.

Where do I go for help deciding? Not a rah rah surgery forum like this . . but where?

I have lost 100 pounds already. I have dipped 20 pounds lower than I was and, yes, I have the ups and downs, although they aren't wild swings. Lose 30, regain 10, lose 30 more, regain 10 .. .

I am well aware of the up and down weight issue, having lived it. I just wanted to know if anyone regrets the surgery.

What bothers me is rerouting the way my body converts food to life fuel. A million years of evolution and we trust a few doctors -- men for the most part who invented the procedures and who are very judgmental about fat females (I know fat men have the surgery too) . . I don't trust modern medicine at all and it took about a million years for our digestive tracts to evolve to where they are and then in four decades docs come up with a better plan, incentivised to make money, push meds and suppls with their ressearch paid for by drug corporations . . I don't trust the system.

I also know something not all reading know: I have Type I diabetes, diagnosed last year after being told for 10 years I was JType II. If I was Tpe II, I'd have the surgery in a heartbeat for it definitely improves Type II but it does not improve Type I, which is about the pancreas no longer being able to make insulin. My motivations for the surgery changed and I was already deeply skeptical.

I don't really expect to find spuport in a forum of happy WLS patients but I'd sure like some opinoins other than pro-surgery.

I was supposed to have the RnY this Thurs Jan 16 and I just got off the phone postponting. Every corner of my being says 'don't do it'. Do I listen to my inner voice or surgeons who want to cut? I don't know.

My primary care doc initially pushed when she thought I was Type II -- 'type I changes things. My endocrinologist was adamantly against it.

And I am not a compoulsive overeater. I got fat from a drug regimen I was on for 12 years that make me blow up 200 pounds in the blink of an eye. Another reason not to trust medicine, allopathic medicine.

Where do I go for help deciding? Not a rah rah surgery forum like this . . but where?

I think you've answered your own questions. Clearly this isn't the right choice for you and I personally applaud you for doing a deeper dive into what is right for you. I don't have any regrets as I believe the surgery saved my life and has provided me a tool I can work with. With that said, it isn't for everyone and being as in tune with your body as you seem is great. Follow whatever path that works for you. :)

I agree, you answered your own question.I don't regret it yet. I know where your coming from on what the doctors think is best one minute and change the next.. good luck to u

It sounds like you are looking for people to convince you not to have the surgery since you specifically stated you wanted opinions of people who are not pro-WLS. You will find negative experiences if that's what your looking for and you will find positive if that's what your looking for. There is a support group that is anti weight loss surgery, maybe you will find the answers you are looking for there. It sounds to me as if you have already made up your mind though, goodluck on your journey.

I cancelled my surgery for vsg scheduled jan.23rd.2014. My friend had her vsg surgery on dec 27 th 2013. She was doing ok the first two weeks. This past Sunday she ended up back in the hospital in severe pain. She ended up very very sick. She is on life support. The surgeon went back in and found she was bleeding everywhere. They told her family to say goodbye. She is still on life support. They had to revive her three times and had no pulse for ten min. I know it is very rare to have such severe complications, but it can happen. She is young and healthy. Has a family and just wanted to try and lose weight. God bless you whatever you may decide.

I struggled with this same concept. I chose to have the sleeve because I wanted ONE internal wound with ONE staple line to heal. I didn't want to re-route anything and I didn't want t deal with absorption issues (I take antivirals for HIV and that's a big no no).

The decision is if you are ready to make this commitment. Yeah you lose weight, but it's an entire lifestyle change. For me, I have loved ever second of it and I've only just begun.

Like you, I CAN lose weight, and have many times, but I ALWAYS put it back on and then some. But, I am ready for stability in my life. I am ready to only be able to eat so much yet be content. I too put on most of my weight with meds, mine were psych meds. Once upon a time I said I'd rather be fat than sad all the time, then realized I CAN be healthy, at a healthy weight, AND happy.

There is not place other than a list of pros and cons that can help you decide. It doesn't sound like you're convinced it's for you. I wasn't ready for a long time and put it off, but once I was ready and did it I love it. You may need more time to make the decision for yourself. DOn't let anyone say you are or aren't ready. That's your decision.

I will say the one thing that nudged me towards surgery were all the regret postings on this website. 99% of people on here, even people who endured SERIOUS LIFE-THREATNING COMPLICATIONS, all say the same thing. "My only regret is that I waited this long."

Best of luck. Ask as many questions as you can. Educate yourself. Know why you want to do it. Know what you are scared of and face them all. After surgery is too late to second guess.

I hope you find your answer and have peace with it.

-J

It's a personal decision. Maybe it's not the right choice for you... or maybe it is. Only you can say for sure. For me, surgery was the right choice. I was overweight for close to 30 years, losing and gaining over and over again, each time gaining more. It was affecting my joints, my back, my health, and my quality of life. It was necessary for my health and well-being. I don't regret it for a second. Whatever you do, do it because it's what YOU want to do. God luck with with your choice, whatever out may be. :-)

Definitely if you are having the doubts still..do not do it. No way I could have went forward with surgery if I wasn't sure it was 100% the best option for me. I'm so thankful I did this for myself but it had to be the right thing, right time, and right way. Good luck!!

I thought about surgery for many years. Yes, no, yes, no

Then one day out of the blue I woke up with a feeling of calmness.

Yes, today I will call to get the ball rolling. This is something I had to do. No other way. I had my Thyroid destroyed due to Graves Disease and hurt my knee at work. I gained so much weight after my injury I had no where to turn.

I couldn't do it myself. Even the Doctor said conventional diets won't work for me. And they didnt.

If they work for you don't do it. At least once in awhile you can have a favorite meal. If you don't feel at peace about it don't do it. But make a decision. In or out. Don't let this suck the life out of you.

Good Luck with your decision.