Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone so I'm back at it again.. For those of you who don't know me I'm Nate I'm 16 I'm 6'2 and I weigh about 375 I planned having surgery may 13th of last year and I backed out ): but now in back and ready to go I'm hoping for April now so I'm wondering a few things.. I'm currently a 3x/4x shirts and 46 jeans what should I expect at the end of this journey? Also I am asking anyone to give me any tips or secrets about getting through all of this? Thanks guys!! - Nate

Nate, you'll get as small as your will and body permits! At 6'2", likely a waist of 36, nexk of 14 and you'll wear medium or large (depending on the cut).

Tips? The board is FULL of tips. Secrets?? No secret. Just remember that WLS is a tool.. YOU will need to manage your brain, food and activity. If you do, you'll succeed!!!

Nate

Good to see you back. Best piece of advice? Whatever happens, stay focused, don't give up and keep posting and reading here. There will be someone who's been where you are, no matter what you are experiencing. You can take or leave the advice offered but it is all here.

Being sleeved isn't always be easy but if something is worth having, it usually involves hard work :-))))) But it will be life changing for the better.... and you have your whole life ahead, how exciting!

Good luck, keep posting!

Here are a few things I wished I had known before surgery. Buy Protein Powder after your surgery not before, because your taste buds may change for a while. I spent a wad of cash on Protein powder before my surgery and it was way too sweet after my surgery. Invest or borrow a recliner the first few days after your surgery, that is where I slept for a few days because my belly-button hurt so bad.

Find good recipes for stock (Clear Liquids) before your surgery. Some foods once you get to the puree stage do not puree very well, chili is disgusting. I was also very sensitive to salt. Some Soups like potato cheese tasted like someone had dumped a cup of salt in them. The first couple of weeks are miserable, but know that you will get through this. Take time off from work if you can after your surgery. You will be very weak because of the small amount of calories you will be taking in, it took me a couple of weeks to feel like myself again. Do not worry about taking in the required amount of protein they want you to take in at first concentrate on the Water intake. The protein will come in time. Find an all natural Water Enhancer like Stur to add to you water. Buy Jello that has light flavors like peach. Some of the flavors are really too stong for your tastebuds. Do not buy a lot of soups at one time buy a few to try because sometimes you think you want a particular flavor and you start to eat it and it makes you gag. Be careful for your tolerance to dairy. I thought it would be a good idea to drink a small milkshake from McDonald's not knowing that I could not tolerate full fat milk anymore I barely made it to the bathroom before it came back up. Buy lots of frozen ice pops sugar free of course. Once you can eat regular meals avoid really dense meats like pork. Stay away from really dry foods like French fries they seem to scrape all the way down. Make good food choices stay to the outside of the store and avoid all of the processed foods. When I eat processed foods like cheeseit's it makes me crave carbs. I could eat an entire box over the period of a day. Avoid all of the artificial sweeteners you can. I prefer KAL stevia for my sweetner. Shop for clothes at second hand stores because you will be loosing weight so quickly. Invest in a leather punch so you can put holes in your belt. Do not buy quality belts when you have to buy a new one because you will under-grow those really quickly. I started in a size 3x and a 46 in jeans and at almost one year out I am wearing a 36 in jeans and a large in stretchy fabric shirts and a xl in a dress shirt. Make sure you have the proper shoes to exercise in, you will loose weight in your feet as well. I used to wear Nike, but now my feet flop around in them. I prefer Reebok zigtechs. You will at some point have a stall, mine happened at week three, know that this is normal , and up your protein to break a stall (usually). There will be lots of people telling you not to do this, value their opinion, but this is somthing you have to do for yourself. This is kind of a long post, but I hope this helps.You have got this and know that you will beat back this obstacle that has been holding you back from having a enjoyable and healthy life.

Edited by fp9107

Everything everyone said is true but since you are 16...I think peers and the social side of things will be the biggest challenge for you. I assume your family supports you in this journey and hopefully you have a group of friends that will too.

As a teenager, I think you will really need to recruit some friends to help. For those that close to you that you feel comfortable with, share with them what you are supposed to be eating at each phase so they can help.

The 1st few weeks are the hardest so hopefully you can plan to do the surgery around your school schedule...maybe over a holiday break??? Might be easier for you then trying to rush back to school and deal with falling behind with schoolwork.

I think there is a forum either here or on www.obesityhelp.com for teenagers. That will probably be a great source of support as well.

You are young and male and if you keep your eye on the prize, you are likely to do very well. I suspect some of the challenges that some of us face will be a little easier for you given your age...especially as you start to lose the weight.

That said, I would encourage you to seek professional help too through this journey. You are setting yourself up for a great life but at only 16...it might be too easy not to keep it that way down the road. You are receiving the best tool for success and you want to make sure you develop the tools and personal growth to keep it that way!

I think you are brave! I didnt have a weight issue at 16 but that also meant that when I started putting on weight slowly in college, I was used to being able to eat whatever I wanted. I think every age has its challenges but I commend you on taking charge now!

I hope you continue to report in!

Thank you all for sooo much support I do online school so it will be easier for me to stay caught up! I'm so excited to have a long and healthy life! & I will continue to post and update everyone!!

Here are a few things I wished I had known before surgery. Buy Protein powder after your surgery not before, because your taste buds may change for a while. I spent a wad of cash on Protein Powder before my surgery and it was way too sweet after my surgery. Invest or borrow a recliner the first few days after your surgery, that is where I slept for a few days because my belly-button hurt so bad. Find good recipes for stock (Clear Liquids) before your surgery. Some foods once you get to the puree stage do not puree very well, chili is disgusting. I was also very sensitive to salt. Some Soups like potato cheese tasted like someone had dumped a cup of salt in them. The first couple of weeks are miserable, but know that you will get through this. Take time off from work if you can after your surgery. You will be very weak because of the small amount of calories you will be taking in, it took me a couple of weeks to feel like myself again. Do not worry about taking in the required amount of Protein they want you to take in at first concentrate on the Water intake. The protein will come in time. Find an all natural Water Enhancer like Stur to add to you Water. Buy Jello that has light flavors like peach. Some of the flavors are really too stong for your tastebuds. Do not buy a lot of soups at one time buy a few to try because sometimes you think you want a particular flavor and you start to eat it and it makes you gag. Be careful for your tolerance to dairy. I thought it would be a good idea to drink a small milkshake from McDonald's not knowing that I could not tolerate full fat milk anymore I barely made it to the bathroom before it came back up. Buy lots of frozen ice pops sugar free of course. Once you can eat regular meals avoid really dense meats like pork. Stay away from really dry foods like French fries they seem to scrape all the way down. Make good food choices stay to the outside of the store and avoid all of the processed foods. When I eat processed foods like cheeseit's it makes me crave carbs. I could eat an entire box over the period of a day. Avoid all of the artificial sweeteners you can. I prefer KAL stevia for my sweetner. Shop for clothes at second hand stores because you will be loosing weight so quickly. Invest in a leather punch so you can put holes in your belt. Do not buy quality belts when you have to buy a new one because you will under-grow those really quickly. I started in a size 3x and a 46 in jeans and at almost one year out I am wearing a 36 in jeans and a large in stretchy fabric shirts and a xl in a dress shirt. Make sure you have the proper shoes to exercise in, you will loose weight in your feet as well. I used to wear Nike, but now my feet flop around in them. I prefer Reebok zigtechs. You will at some point have a stall, mine happened at week three, know that this is normal , and up your protein to break a stall (usually). There will be lots of people telling you not to do this, value their opinion, but this is somthing you have to do for yourself. This is kind of a long post, but I hope this helps.You have got this and know that you will beat back this obstacle that has been holding you back from having a enjoyable and healthy life.

This is excellent advice Nate....very accurate and concise.....

Shelby

Nate-as a mom and a person 9 days post sleeve I am so proud of you! This is a huge decision that you have obviously put a lot of thought into! I struggled with my weight in High School but never put forth a real effort to address it. You are pretty awesome!

As a newbie to my sleeve, I only have a few pieces of advice. Stay off the scale post surgery.... You will hear this over and over but it can play with your head. The weight will come off. In the beginning it is to early to analyze every bite you take because your body is going through so many adjustments.

Walk, walk walk.... I had read that over and over and took it to heart. There were times in the hospital I did not feel like walking but I forced myself to get up and move. I was off pain meds quick and feeling great when I left the hospital. I walked the halls every 2 hours which was easy in the hospital since they are always waking you. 9 days post op I feel great and even with the cold I have hot the mall or somewhere that I could walk.

The last thing, which may be personal but I have a teenager so I feel like an expert, communicate with those taking care of you. If you are having pain or feeling sick let people know. Most of all, communicate about bowel habits. It's more than most want to know but many people battle Constipation and it can get serious. Pain meds, low Fluid intake and high Protein set the stage. It's not a big deal as long as you are proactive. Talk to your dr about their expectations and recommendations, just in case!

Hope that wasn't TMI but I want you to succeed! Again, I am so proud!!

Cyn

Nate-as a mom and a person 9 days post sleeve I am so proud of you! This is a huge decision that you have obviously put a lot of thought into! I struggled with my weight in High School but never put forth a real effort to address it. You are pretty awesome! As a newbie to my sleeve, I only have a few pieces of advice. Stay off the scale post surgery.... You will hear this over and over but it can play with your head. The weight will come off. In the beginning it is to early to analyze every bite you take because your body is going through so many adjustments. Walk, walk walk.... I had read that over and over and took it to heart. There were times in the hospital I did not feel like walking but I forced myself to get up and move. I was off pain meds quick and feeling great when I left the hospital. I walked the halls every 2 hours which was easy in the hospital since they are always waking you. 9 days post op I feel great and even with the cold I have hot the mall or somewhere that I could walk. The last thing, which may be personal but I have a teenager so I feel like an expert, communicate with those taking care of you. If you are having pain or feeling sick let people know. Most of all, communicate about bowel habits. It's more than most want to know but many people battle Constipation and it can get serious. Pain meds, low Fluid intake and high Protein set the stage. It's not a big deal as long as you are proactive. Talk to your dr about their expectations and recommendations, just in case! Hope that wasn't TMI but I want you to succeed! Again, I am so proud!! Cyn

Thank you so much I will defiantly let everyone know what's going on and keep you guys posted as well I'm so excited!