Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eight Weeks Out and a New Year!

Happy New Year all! I want to thank every one for their input and support. When I landed on this site last June I was just beginning my research and had never participated in an on-line forum. Nor did I know much about the LapBand or the process I was beginning that would ultimately take five months. That was time-to-surgery, and of course that process is continuing each day as I now learn what banded life will mean for me. I'm very glad to have the voices of so many people here who share their insights and experiences. I'm tempted to single out some who have really contributed to my success so far, but then I'd be afraid of leaving some one out. A community is about the whole.

I have been in something of a slump during the holidays. Not a mental slump (well, perhaps a bit), but band-wise. I am in the process of working with my surgeon to get small fills toward the goal we all desire, the Green Zone. Meanwhile, of course, it is basically just a matter of working hard to keep from gaining. And that's not easy during the holidays. I am a good dieter. An expert! Well, of course if I was that great at it I wouldn't need a band. As with all diets, somewhere at two to three months I just can't do it anymore and I feel so hungry. This is where I am now. The elation of pre-surgery preparations and the surgery itself, the initial loss, etc. have all worn off and now I am hovering around the same few pounds going up, up, and down, down. I am holding strong -- exercising all I can and making good choices -- but there's a part of me that worries that the band won't work, that I'll be stuck in this mode forever. Well, I won't. I will get to the Green Zone and experience what I had just out of surgery. I was one of the lucky people who felt no hunger in the beginning, but then of course came the return of appetite. Having glimpsed that feeling of no appetite, however, I really look forward to getting there again when my band is adjusted properly.

To all of you out there who are in the same place, we will get there! And again, happy new year and many thanks to each of you for your part in this forum.

I am so happy to be reading this and knowing that I am not the only person out there feeling this way. I had my band placed on Sept 27th and I am still working with my surgeon to reach that green zone which I am getting close to but I still feel like I should have accomplished so much more. I will keep a positive attitude and make this year the best yet, happy new year and good luck on your journey!!

I am so happy to be reading this and knowing that I am not the only person out there feeling this way. I had my band placed on Sept 27th and I am still working with my surgeon to reach that green zone which I am getting close to but I still feel like I should have accomplished so much more. I will keep a positive attitude and make this year the best yet, happy new year and good luck on your journey!!

Hi Erica, 9/27 is my real-life birthday -- happy band day! Even though I knew it would take a while to get into sync with the fills, I'm feeling the length of the journey now. Maybe it's the whole holiday thing, too. I don't even know how much I have in my band (three fills so far) and I suppose it doesn't matter as it's just a number. The surgeon mentioned it was a small fill last time, and the band was not primed (I asked that at my previous visit), and I missed an appointment due to snow. I think I will be more forthcoming at my next appointment -- Monday -- to let him know I'm having a hard time and I'm feeling impatient to get there. Meanwhile we keep the faith. Thanks so much for posting 927 Bandit -- good luck to you in these coming months. 2014 is going to be a brilliant year for health and happiness!

Happy New Years Bandista.

Hi Sandy -- you have been a wonderful cheerleader for me. Thanks for all the support and here's to the upcoming year! Best wishes to you........

Happy New Year all! I want to thank every one for their input and support. When I landed on this site last June I was just beginning my research and had never participated in an on-line forum. Nor did I know much about the LapBand or the process I was beginning that would ultimately take five months. That was time-to-surgery, and of course that process is continuing each day as I now learn what banded life will mean for me. I'm very glad to have the voices of so many people here who share their insights and experiences. I'm tempted to single out some who have really contributed to my success so far, but then I'd be afraid of leaving some one out. A community is about the whole.

I have been in something of a slump during the holidays. Not a mental slump (well, perhaps a bit), but band-wise. I am in the process of working with my surgeon to get small fills toward the goal we all desire, the Green Zone. Meanwhile, of course, it is basically just a matter of working hard to keep from gaining. And that's not easy during the holidays. I am a good dieter. An expert! Well, of course if I was that great at it I wouldn't need a band. As with all diets, somewhere at two to three months I just can't do it anymore and I feel so hungry. This is where I am now. The elation of pre-surgery preparations and the surgery itself, the initial loss, etc. have all worn off and now I am hovering around the same few pounds going up, up, and down, down. I am holding strong -- exercising all I can and making good choices -- but there's a part of me that worries that the band won't work, that I'll be stuck in this mode forever. Well, I won't. I will get to the Green Zone and experience what I had just out of surgery. I was one of the lucky people who felt no hunger in the beginning, but then of course came the return of appetite. Having glimpsed that feeling of no appetite, however, I really look forward to getting there again when my band is adjusted properly.

To all of you out there who are in the same place, we will get there! And again, happy new year and many thanks to each of you for your part in this forum.

Hi Bandista

You will do fine and will be a success banded , I have no doubt about it , that happen to me too sometimes I go up a pound and the other I am down 2 , what is important at this moment for me is to keep choosing the right food just think how good we will look on summer we need to post pictures and laugh about all our worries !!happy new year my friend !!!!

Happy new year and continued success. You will get there.

Bandista.... I have been reading YOUR comments and insight for the past three months. In so many ways, you remind me of ME.... We're close to the same age. You have a son graduating from high school in May, I had one graduate from high school this past May... ( I also have a ninth grade son, a 22 year old daughter who will graduate from LSU's grad school this May, and a 24 year old daughter who is a nurse at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore). You also remind me of ME in how you are working on your relationship with food and with your new found joy of exercising..... Same things here! I, too, am waiting to get into that Green Zone. I am not hungry in between meals and I don't feel the need to always eat. My problem is with the amount if food I can still eat before feeling satiated. I have a feeling our Green Zone is just around the corner. I am glad that I gave up my scale and my obsession of weighing everyday. Weighing once a month to every six weeks is helping me out quite a bit. Good luck and stay strong..... GREEN in just around the corner !

Well I have had a bad problem also, I nearly fell off the diet. I got my first fill last Monday and I had gained 1 pound. I don't feel any difference from before. The nurse told me 2 days liquids and 2 days softies and then can go to regular foods. Well I have never been given regular food list I have no clue. You would think they would have worked on that before now. I have so much to learn that I am not being taught, Especially food values, carbs and Protein. I thought I new it all, until the nurse told me a lousy banana is all Carbs and 1 banana could be my whole days amount of carbs.

Yes, now you will need to start reading the nutrition labels. After awhile you just kind of get it. Also you'll develop your go to food list. I think we all have one

i know exactly how you are feeling. i promise you that when you get the fill that puts you near or at the green zone you will be elated. i finally know what the vet's have been talking about. wahoo!!!! i had a small pb and my husband looked at me and said i am so sorry you are going through this. i told him no this is exactly where i'm susposed to be at. my band is working. this makes me happy. i swear i think he is ready to call the loony bin. tonight was the first night i had dinner and i ate without a problem. so happy. i actually did a little jig in the living room, so hang in there, i know you already know the how to's. happy new years to you too! and heres to a slimmer, healthy 2014

Thanks, Terry -- I think my husband thinks I'm ready for the loony bin, too. He's watched me all these years on various diets and now this surgery and new lifestyle that I don't really have down yet......

So glad you got to the Green Zone -- yippee! That is great news.

Green zone is truly amazing but it can be tough to find but in time you will. It took me nearly 6 months to finally get into the green zone. My last fill was Jan 29, 2012 and the weight and inches have been coming off ever since and the portions are small and the head hunger is practically non existent. I love my band and it is amazing the life this little device has given back to me.

Stay the course and it can happen for you as well. There will be tough times and perhaps discouragement and times when patience is thin but one thing you must do above all else and that is keep going! Keep your eye on the prize and keep going. Remember even if the scale is not moving you could still be losing inches. Look for NSV's to help motivate you. For me it was about jeans feeling loser or more slack in my belt.

Good luck all!

I'm having a little of the same problem bandiista. Got my first fill yesterday. A small one. I don't feel a lot of restriction. I think I am comparing it to the post surgery swollen restriction ( that was the bomb lol! ). I had only lost a few pounds since surgery, but my doctor seemed pleased. I hope to lose a couple more this month. I guess slow and steady loss until green zone is reasonable :)

Coming from the worlds slowest loser...

Bandista,

Welcome to your bandster hell, my friend...you have arrived just about as scheduled.

You have been on here cheering/encouraging folks since day one. Always supportive with your "yippies"!, etc. Now its your turn to give yourself that same encouragement and support. And you know from reading, bandster hell is REAL for lots of us. Some of us are in it for a long time....too long IMO.

For me, that desire and willpower of dieting, following some portion size requirements, only eating when you're truly hungry, etc, only last for so long. ( Hence we needed this surgery in the first place ) At some point, the band has to do something different for us....AND IT WILL.

Until then, avoid the discouragment at all costs.

Don't skip even one Dr. appt. ( I didn't go for almost a year :( )

Don't allow yourself to even consider "the band won't work" and you'll be stuck here forever.

It will work, you just gotta get there.

Unfortunately, I speak from experience when I say....NEVER, EVER give up.

I almost did.

post-56581-0-40117100-1388908975_thumb.png

This little attachment shows the reason. Copied and pasted from my surgeons notes.

Edited by catfish87