Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week since banded 12/16

I am down 15 lbs! I was only "uncomfortable" for 2-3 days post op. It's very hard during the holidays. I don't know what to do with my hands at holiday eating events! Habits die hard! I just want to pick up the food and put it in my mouth, like everyone else. I have to stop myself and redirect MY HANDS. There is more thinking to this during the holidays, I think. Maybe I timed my surgery wrong? Maybe I should have waited? Either way, I am making the best out of it. My kitchen has been spotless for an entire week! That's something to be proud of! My first fill will be 1/7. What should I expect? What does pb mean? I haven't vomited once since surgery. Not even in recovery. I don't want to vomit. I hear its pretty much a done deal once the fills start. Any advice?

I am down 15 lbs! I was only "uncomfortable" for 2-3 days post op. It's very hard during the holidays. I don't know what to do with my hands at holiday eating events! Habits die hard! I just want to pick up the food and put it in my mouth, like everyone else. I have to stop myself and redirect MY HANDS. There is more thinking to this during the holidays, I think. Maybe I timed my surgery wrong? Maybe I should have waited? Either way, I am making the best out of it. My kitchen has been spotless for an entire week! That's something to be proud of! My first fill will be 1/7. What should I expect? What does pb mean? I haven't vomited once since surgery. Not even in recovery. I don't want to vomit. I hear its pretty much a done deal once the fills start. Any advice?

Congrats on being off to a great start!

As far as what to expect for the upcoming fill... This was my experience.

I was on Clear liquids for a week post op, then a week of full liquids, then a week of mushies, then progress to some solids as ok'd by my surgical team. For the first week, I wasn't hungry AT ALL. Just lots of sipping of the Clear Liquids, etc.

About the middle of the second week, HUNGER set in...I thought I was starving! Obviously, I didn't starve to death and die, lol. I thought, man this is BS....did I even get a band installed....something must be wrong. Then week three.....MUSHIES! I still remember like it was yesterday, the first bite of mashed potatoes I had. About 1 tablespoon and I was sure something was different....felt them and that sensation of "pressure" I call it. Ok....so I really did have a band! Whew! As the days went by, trying a few of the other mushies that were ok'd for me to have, that hunger monster started coming back. I thought I must call my doctors office and get a fill! I couldn't possibly go until they told me to like this....Hungry. But they just told me....NOPE...theres a reason we don't fill early, to allow everything to heal properly.

So I just did the best I could with limiting my portions until that magical date of my first fill.....

Here's how mine went back then. Get to the office, weigh, talk with the surgeon, lay down on a table, surgeon located the port, inserted a needle, and added some saline. A VERY, VERY painless and simple procedure...took about two minutes! Stood up, and they gave me a litle cup of Water to sip to make sure I could drink it with no problems....and there were none. Off to home with instructions of liquids for 24 hours, then progress back to regular food as tolerated.

PB, FOR ME, means when I eat something too fast or don't chew properly, the food kinda get lodged ABOVE my band. It may cause a sliming episode, which evidently is the body's natural reaction according to what I've heard. It helps the food go one way or the other....either it passes on through the band....or back up it comes! It seemed strange/uncomfortable the first time for sure. But that was my reminder to slow down, chew better. You'll learn....just like most who eventually will expericene it. Some of us are slower learners....like me! :)

I've been banded for 4+ years now....and have NEVER vomited once since being banded. That would be a bad thing...such as stomach virus or something.

Best of luck on your new life! Trust your surgical team....and Trust your band. Never, ever give up. :)

Thanks for all the great advice. I feel like I'm starving! Seriously! I felt this way day 2. It's been a week, and I started puréed Soups yesterday. That's a little bit better since I am so sick of artificially sweetened chocolate Protein drinks! Yuck! I'm adding canned chicken breast to the puréed soups to add more protein so I don't have to drink anything chocolate. Ok, so I will feel starving until the fill, correct?

I was hungry from about day 6....or so. Then I actually did ok after I started on mushies for several days...I think it was the mental idea that I was getting to EAT finally after 3 weeks. (One week clear liquids preop, and the two weeks of liquids postop.)

I wouldn't suggest you expect it to be like a magical switch they're gonna flip when you get your first adjustment either.....just sayin'. Some surgeons are VERY conservative with adjustments. Each has their own way, and timeline, to get you to what you'll hear referred to the "green zone". This is where you want to be!! Thats the magic spot.

Some use a VERY useful tool, in my opinion, its called Fluoroscopy. They can actually SEE what your restriction level is. And some just add a certain amount per adjustment....I call that old school, blind fills. Its just an educated guess at best....providing everything is correct on the inside.....but thats a different story. ;)

PS...heres a link to the thread showing what MY restriction looks like....this IS MY green zone.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/168149-heres-what-my-restriction-level-looks-like/

Edited by catfish87

How much have you lost?

I started at 324 and am at 188. So, 136 lbs lost... :)

I still have one pair of my 46" waist jeans as a reminder....Thursday I bought some new 33" waist jeans...could have used a 32", but they didn't have that size! They were snazzy, $150 jeans too.....I think I must have had lapse in judgement to spend so much on a pair of jeans! But, acutally, I had just left my surgeons office....he said everything was "Perfect"...that'll give you a boost for sure.

It's not just the scale though.....its the new life!!

Always spoil yourself! I fully believe in rewards! I can't wait to buy my first pair of $300 jeans and tuck my shirt in! I started at 245. Down 15. Can't wait to buy jeans! I made myself a promise, not to buy clothes until I reach 199.

Always spoil yourself! I fully believe in rewards! I can't wait to buy my first pair of $300 jeans and tuck my shirt in! I started at 245. Down 15. Can't wait to buy jeans! I made myself a promise, not to buy clothes until I reach 199.

Omg I said same thing!!! Banded 2 days ago started at 218... I can't wait to try on some Hudsons! Yeah!

How are you doing on your second day?

How are you doing on your second day?

Oh I feel sooo much better today! I'm able to moce around much easier and the gas finally started releasing!

I was on clear liquids and Protein Shakes for the majority of the first week. I'm now on thick puréed Soups and I even took part of my fiancées dinner tonight and put it in the blender with fat free chicken broth. It's baby food consistency. It wasn't bad. Got full very quickly. 4 bites.

I was banded November 22nd, I didn't start having the real hungry feeling until about 2 weeks after. I was just filled this past thursday but if your surgeon is like mine he will start off slow. I had 2.5ccs put in and im still hungry, not as bad as I was but I text my surgeon tonight and he said he will make it perfect for me (in time) I go for another fill which will put me at 4cc's I started at 378 when I went for my first appt with my surgeon thats what I weighed and day before surgery I was 328. Now im 325 I lost 32 lbs on my own then 18 on thw slim fast and 3 since surgery. The fill really isn't bad at all, I can't stand the sight of needles but wasnt bad at all, Quick and easy. Good luck with everything.

You have lost 3 lbs since 11/22? Is that correct?

You have lost 3 lbs since 11/22? Is that correct?

Yes I lost 3 between surgery and my first fill but I have lost 8 or so now. My surgeon wants about 2 lbs a week. So I lost a total of 58 lbs, 26 from pre op till now.