Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you know if your band has slipped? Also when is too soon for fill #2?

Most people don't know when their band slips. If you think your band slipped because you can still eat a lot of food that's normal.

You wont feel the band working its magic till you have the adjustment that gives you restriction. Till then its just another diet.

You can get another fill when your doc allows it. No real definitive timeframe for fills.

tmf

Edited by 2muchfun

I have never had this happen so I do not have the slightest idea how one would know....best I was ever told was that, if it does, I would know it....

From a personal view...I feel there is a little hysteria - paranoia about slippages...in other words people are obsessed with it happening rather than getting on with their weight loss...etc. Sure it happens, so does falling down the stairs I suppose....

What causes band slippage? You read enough posts here and you would think EVERYTHING causes band slippage...

Don't do this or your band will slip...don't do that because it causes slippage....

"YOU'LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT KID"

I got into trouble once because someone kept saying doing a certain something will cause your band to slip....thinking about it, I asked "Really? Just HOW does that cause a band to slip??? PLEASE explain it to me"

I immediately got attacked for being a wise guy....still don't understand how this certain behavior can cause a band to slip....which incidentally I do all the time and never had any problems....

i agree, many reason it could slip...only your dr would know for sure

that being said, following ones doctors eating allotted portion sizes def helps (prevent) this

Edited by ☠carolinagirl☠

My surgeon seems to have a pretty aggressive post-op fill schedule. My first one was at a month out then scheduled weekly for assessment for four more appointments then every other week. They feel most people do not have restriction for four or five fills but of course every one is different. My band had nothing in it when it was installed -- no primer. I went for the first and second fills but then skipped the following week as I just didn't feel like I needed it. I had some bruising and the bandaid had caused a rash, etc. There was an increase in hunger frequency and amount for me just a few days ago. I'm thinking I may have just been swollen from getting those first fills and when that went away there is less restriction? Hard to assess as this is also a stressful time for me. Anyway, I'm going in tomorrow for fill #3 as I want to be in the green zone.

My dr. told me in the early years of the band it was a little more common for the band to slip, due to the way it was stitched in place. Now days it isn't as common because they have gotten better at it.

A lady at work,her band slipped, (after being in for 10 years and also not using it for 10 years). She said it was extremely painful. So painful,she had it taken out right away.

My surgeon seems to have a pretty aggressive post-op fill schedule. My first one was at a month out then scheduled weekly for assessment for four more appointments then every other week. They feel most people do not have restriction for four or five fills but of course every one is different. My band had nothing in it when it was installed -- no primer. I went for the first and second fills but then skipped the following week as I just didn't feel like I needed it. I had some bruising and the bandaid had caused a rash, etc. There was an increase in hunger frequency and amount for me just a few days ago. I'm thinking I may have just been swollen from getting those first fills and when that went away there is less restriction? Hard to assess as this is also a stressful time for me. Anyway, I'm going in tomorrow for fill #3 as I want to be in the green zone.

Sounds pretty much common to me...my Dr. is also aggressive...he had no qualms stating that first he installs the band, then he gets it working...took me 3 fills, the last one was a doozie...alsmost got it taken out but he talked me into hanging in there for another week or so....

Sounds pretty much common to me...my Dr. is also aggressive...he had no qualms stating that first he installs the band, then he gets it working...took me 3 fills, the last one was a doozie...alsmost got it taken out but he talked me into hanging in there for another week or so....

Thanks B-52, great info. Do you have a protocol for post-fill? I was surprised my surgeon just said "take it easy today" but no restrictions like just liquids for a few days, etc. as some others have. I realize I need to figure out what's best for me -- I like my surgeon a lot but it's my body, my band. I know you do band maintenance by going all liquids for a few days here and there. I like that idea a lot. Maybe I should do that today in preparation for the fill then a couple days after? Puzzling this out. Plenty of time to think about this for today as I rarely eat before noon these days. Just not hungry and am following that logic -- if I'm not hungry I don't eat. This of course goes against years of diet talk in my head (unsuccessful diets, obviously) -- starvation mode, metabolism issues, etc. Just at six weeks + so trying to figure out a mode. I do love shakes and smoothies, juicing, etc. so all liquids is no problem for me. Welcome input!

Well, I have had a slip! Usually they are caused by being too tight and foods getting stuck, so that you have to have many episodes of pb'ing, which causes swelling! You might not know you have a slip, but you would know that something is not right! Best wishes, and welcome to our site! Karen..aka.kll724

How do you know if your band has slipped? Also when is too soon for fill #2?

Although I have not had a slipped band, (I've had a dilated pouch with my old band which is a precursor to band slippage) .

Over 7 years ago, my dilated pouch was caused by my surgeon filling me too tightly and I traveled unknowingly and I suffered horrible tightness, chest pains, reflux, severe burning that acid reducers barely helped.

I have never know ANY one to suffer band slippage with a "loose band" everyone that I've known that suffered band slippage had the SAME issues:

1. Too tight band for too long (longer than 6 months)

2. Vomiting daily (pbing) several times a day due to being too tight

3. Reflux due to the band too tight.

So basically a too tight band too long will cause band slippage and other issues. When the band slips you will know it because you will be in SEVERE pain, burning, accompanied by chest pains, and frequent vomiting, different than your regular Pbing and getting food stuck.

It does NOT matter how well your band is stitched, type of band, old or new, a too tight band too long will cause problems. Sometimes it take a few years before problems start and you suffer issues from frequent Pbing, I've known MANY to have issues after 5-7 years when initially every thing was ok.

So to minimize issues with the band is not keep the band too tight, avoid frequent vomiting (Pbing) and eating too much on a very tight band and purging.

Most people get their first fill at around 6 weeks post op, and each subsequent fill 4 weeks apart to prevent piggybacking, which means, sometimes it takes up to 3 weeks before a fill settles in and you feel it, and this way you can avoid getting too tight with subsequent fills.

Good luck