Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 1 month out today and had the scare of my life. I had about 1/2 cup or little less at 6 pm last night of crockpot cooked diced chicken in mushroom sauce. Apparently I ate too fast. At 10 pm began feeling "sick" and woke up still feeling sick. At 3 pm today cancelled our evening plans and decided to eat a little yogurt and lie down. After 3 teaspoons yogurt I had excruciating pain between my breasts and could hardly breathe, ran to my husband, could not talk, and thought I was having a heart attack. The pain was horrific. After 5 minutes of me gasping and running around, I felt a slight release of something in my chest, and assume the yogurt slid on down.

Nutritionist happened to call and said I should eat 1/2 cup 6 months after surgery, not 1 month. Obviously I ate a little too fast. And did not chew as well as I usually do. That I probably have irritation and swelling and should go back on liquids. Doctor's office returned my call and agreed.

I have felt so great that I wondered if I really had surgery, and found out today that I did. I have almost felt no restriction eating and got a little too comfortable.

I wanted to share this with you Newbies, because you can see what could happen. One poster said she went to a restaurant with friends and ended up on the floor. Now I know why. That pain and feeling you cannot breathe will get you on the floor. Be smart my friends, be smart. Don't jump to new foods too quickly. This was my first chicken dish, and I had eaten a little bit for 3 nights and the 3rd night was not the charm!

Merry Christmas all! Linda

Wow, what an experience! Glad you made it through.

Baby your stomach now, give it lots of time. Be overly cautious. Pays off later.

Glad you're better now. I too made myself sick learning my new stomach and it only took one time to learn what not to do. :)

Wow, thanks for letting us know. I'm two weeks out and SO ANXIOUS to get to real food! I'm sure I would have done something similar without your warning. My doc requires full liquids the first three weeks, then purees and soft for the next 9. No grilled chicken until 3+ months out.

We are told to crockpot the chicken til super tender, which I did, with the cream of mushroom Soup, it must be moist. I thought I could smush the chicken and chew very well rather than puree. I will regroup. Take care!

2 days out and I'm not keeping anything down yet. Not even Water. Had a hernia repaired too which I was not expecting.

My husband and I both had hernias, very common, but hardly any pain. No pain meds once we were home, 1 day after surgery. I am assuming you are in contact with your doctor about the vomiting???????? Best wishes and get better soon.

I had my sleeve n hernia surgery Tuesday n tolerating liquids but have stomach cramping n diarrhea n pain is about 6-8. Anyone with diarrhea too? N what helped.

I had my sleeve n hernia surgery Tuesday n tolerating liquids but have stomach cramping n diarrhea n pain is about 6-8. Anyone with diarrhea too? N what helped.

Surg date dec12 ... Diarrhea started dec 16 (3x) and then each day after including today still have it but so far only 1x a day luckily ... I want to take a walk outside despite snow and cold temps cause I'm getting cabin fever

Haven't taken anything for it yet but I'm starting Protein shakes today and will see how that goes .. Have my 1st week follow up with surgeon and nut tomorrow dec 20 for their recommendations

Thank you so much for sharing this! I am just over a week post-op, and started puree foods for the first time yesterday. I was SHOCKED when I realized (and found out the hard way), that I could only eat about a teaspoon comfortably.

vsg2803, You are welcome. I don't think everything should be shared to scare people, but this was something I felt strongly should be shared. BTW, our doctor today said we should be eating once a day. Some things say eat 6 small meals a day. I was sleeved Nov.18th, my husband 12/2. I stayed on liquids to let him catch up. I had the 3 teaspoons of yogurt yesterday, 1 coffee and 1 tea today, and not even hungry. I wanted to make sure I slowed down a little. I have not been hungry one bit. I think in my mind I thought we were to try and at least 3 times a day eat a little something. We are regrouping lol. Best wishes!! Be cautious during the holidays.

Thanks for sharing Linda!

We are all in here to learn the good, bad, and the ugly, and your post is a good warning to keep in mind when something is just so delicious that nothing else matters. Haha. Like just about everything for me right now, in my liquid phase.

I swear I could lick the tv screen some days with these holiday food commercials.

Weirdly enough, this is kind of reassuring to me. . .I'm also about one month out and have been wonderingly (jokingly!) if I actually had the surgery too, because I haven't felt any pain, haven't had trouble swallowing or ANYTHING! Was worried maybe the surgery didn't "take." Glad to know that I am not alone, there. In all seriousness, I can't imagine how terrifying that must have been for you. I'm glad you're okay now, though! And thanks for sharing this - I will remember not to get too comfortable in thinking that my pouch is healed.

We are told to crockpot the chicken til super tender, which I did, with the cream of mushroom Soup, it must be moist. I thought I could smush the chicken and chew very well rather than puree. I will regroup. Take care!

Linda -- do you think you ate too close to bedtime? My NUT said to eat no closer than 2 hours to bedtime or misery will ensue. Wonder if that might be part of this. Your chicken sounds moist and delish. Hope it soon becomes tolerable!

Edited by VSG AJH

Actually I ate the less than 1/2 cup chicken/soup mixture at 6 pm Tuesday. Bedtime was 11 pm. Ate the yogurt 3pm next day, when I had the problem.

At a peer to peer group meeting tonight at our Medical Center, our leader said it is very common for this to happen. I think if we are alert and forewarned we will pay attention more to how we eat and chew, if you know the consequences. No more cooking LOL we are sticking to shakes and creamed Soups, and the popsicles and yogurt, till January. Bottom line, I discovered I was eating too much today, and I am on a better path!!!!