Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 35, 5'4 240 lbs and am in the authorization process with my insurance company. I have already done my homework with my insurance company so I know I will be approved but I'm scared out of my mind and excited for what's to come. I have heard so many conflicting stories regarding LB and the GB... I am leaning toward the LB and I am well aware that my weight loss will be slower than that of whom has GB.. I just want to hear people with LB tell me their success stories to motivate me even more. One way I have made myself more accepting of going the slower route is telling myself that any weight loss is good weight loss. I just need advice on what to expect, post surgury, pre surgury, band maintenance, foods that are comfortable to eat, foods that aren't, your motivation, your starting and current weight. Just tell me everything you know and have gone through!

Hi there, I am newly-banded -- it will be two weeks tomorrow. I am 52 and spent two decades seriously struggling with weight issues. So debilitating in every way! I was 248 and am down 20 pounds, some from the pre-op diet. A pound or so a week is not slow to me, that seems very healthy. I'm in this for the long run. Chose the band because I need assistance I dimming my appetite. Did not want something as drastic as a sleeve, etc. -- I like the idea that if it is ever necessary my band can be removed. And it's adjustable so I can keep working with my surgeon to get it tweaked so it's just right for me at a given time. Very happy! Good luck on your journey. I learned so much here reading posts, asking questions, etc. Best wishes for your healthy future!

Hi There!

I had a whole response written up and I accidentally erased it. Must be too early in the morning for me to think clearly! I just finished writing a blog about how I've been feel with the band. I've lost around 40 lbs and I'm 3 months out from my surgery. This site is perfect for reading what's up with people and how the band is working or has worked for them. You will even read people talk about their negative experiences with the band. I think it's good to get both sides of the coin so people who are trying to decide what to do can get all the information they need to make their decision. For me, the band was the best thing I've done for myself. Don't misunderstand the band requires hard work and dedication. The band requires lots of follow-up and communication with your surgeon and his team to make sure you are where you need to be. When you first get the band it requires a lot of will power to stay on track because the band isn't really helping you yet.

I've had two fills and I'm calling today to see if I can come in early to get my third. I can tell my band is still not in the green. Make sure you find good Protein shakes that you like and Soups that you like because when you do your pre op diet and after fills you will need things that you think are yummy. I use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury and also the cheap stuff from Wal-Mart called Body Fortress. There are better ones that have no sugar and low or no carbs if that's what you are into. I just like mine with a little no sugar added frozen fruit, soy milk and vanilla Body Fortress. There are tons of sites you can find for recipes for bariatric patients that have very creative recipes for shakes and regular food.

Exercise is important to help you as you move along to lose faster, and to help with plateaus. I have back injuries that are making exercise very difficult but I'm keeping my chin up and I'm still losing so I'm happy. I have over 100 lbs. to go but I'm determined and there are plenty of people on this site to prove it can be done. Read and listen to there advice they know what they are talking about. Ask questions, but remember if it doesn't jive with what you believe or with what your surgeon has told you remember that your SURGEON is always right! LOL!! I wish you the best of luck in your journey and look forward to hearing what you decide to do!

Best Wishes!

Jump on it! I love/hate my band daily. The loss is reported to be slower but...most of this is up to you and how well you follow the rules. I chose the band because of some of the side effects of GB. I wanted to have some control and I really didn't want to give up all the foods I love, just the amount I consume. I was able to lose most of my 70 odd pounds without much(very little) exercise; so the portions of food is my key. Many things impact my daily life with the band. Allergies...the post nasal drip will stop me from eating. I am full all the time (ha) and just can't eat solids. At these times I sip lots of hot tea. Eating early in the day never works for me and and bad weather makes me feel tight. eggs are my enemy almost always, I can eat most foods without problem as long as I chew it as I should. I honestly haven't had any problems with my band, almost 5 years. Although I didn't reach the goal my doctor set, I have been able to keep it off. 163 lbs. is so much better than 240 lbs. I am a size 10/12 and I love it. In late Aug. I started walking and I am now up to 3 plus miles 3 o 4 times a week. I feel great, get antsy if I can't get to it and I am mad that I didn't start this earlier. I also haven't had very many fills, and I'm not sure I ever found my green zone, so I still eat more that the recommended amount. If I stick my neck out, get a fill and continue my power walks, I'm sure I would easily get another 15-20 lbs. off. However, at 56 I don't need to be a size 6, and I think my DH might lose his mind. The band gave me my life back. I feel better, don't have the issues my two friends who had GB face daily and I don't regret a minuet of it.

Thank you so much everyone for your personal stories! I am really excited but nervous at the same time. Like I keep thinking of the "what ifs." Like what if I got some reason loose my job and health insurance and then can't maintain my band?! Or what if it makes me anxious to the point of being agoraphobic again? I guess I should ask myself, "what if I don't do it?"

Guest imperfect1974

I remember that moment when the ins approved me and my surg was scheduled...................Im a mom of 2 lil girls and I wanted to be healthy for them.....................and I have no regrets.................make good decisions after your surgery and listen to your body...................when your full stop eating - dont keep eating.................best advice I can give ya :) GOOD LUCK!!!!

I started my LB process in June and am newly-banded. This is such a great place for information and support. I learned far more here than in the materials provided by the hospital or my office visits, etc. There are some very knowledgable people willing to share their individual experiences.

I was not able to consider a permanent surgery to my stomach -- that was too drastic for me. I like the idea that all my organs are still intact and should it ever become necessary the band can be removed easily. I like it that the band is adjustable, that the tightness can be increased and decreased to find just the right place for my optimal weight loss. I will be seeing my surgeon weekly to assess whether I need a fill, and although that is a little time-consuming I like it that I have this partnership. The accountability. I believe that many hospitals and surgeons prefer other surgeries because this followup time with the surgeon is reduced, and thus the expense. I'm so happy my surgeon is in this not just for performing surgery but my for my long-term weight loss.

I am 52 and have struggled with weight issues for 22+ years. I have been hovering in the 240s for a long time and had to hit 250 to qualify for the surgery (a BMI of 40 was my insurance company's only requirement and even though I have high BP and sleep apnea they would not consider co-morbidities). The day of surgery I was 243 (lost some on a pre-op diet) and this morning I am 232. I expect it is going to take quite a bit of time to get down to my goal weight but I am committed to a healthy weight loss.

When I started my process I began a journal. First I listed all the things I want to be able to do -- all my reasons for getting surgery. It's been helpful for me to have one place to record office visit info, my own thoughts, research tidbits, guidelines, etc. Also I got a therapist. Over the summer it was helpful to meet with some one to talk over the process and help me make sure I was ready. Even though I've done so much work around my food issues and dieting, self-image, etc., I got a lot out of this because the emphasis was different. I was ready to let go of personal failure. Being unsuccessful at so many attempts to lose weight over the years is so disheartening. I feel like the band is just the aid I need to fight off the hunger and help me get back in sync with my body.

Wishing you the very best. What's important is that you have decided to take charge of your health and your future. You are choosing yourself.