Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I am writing this so some of you won't be disappointed. I went in for my band to bypass revision yesterday (Monday) and I was so excited. When I was in recovery they told me the bypass didn't happen. When they went to remove the band there was a lot of scar tissue an tears so they removed the band and closed me up. It would have been dangerous for them to do it cause they needed to cut where the band was, of course I started crying.:(

I can have it in 6 weeks but my surgeon will be on Christmas vacation and she is talking January. With Obama care I have to reapply for insurance and I may have to start the process all over again. Good luck yo all of you.

Oh no......I am so very sorry...I would have been crushed too...I have to believe there is a higher power here and you weren't suppose to have the surgery now...hang in there, i am sure it will happen for you soon and this will be a distant memory..*HUGS*

Oh no......I am so very sorry...I would have been crushed too...I have to believe there is a higher power here and you weren't suppose to have the surgery now...hang in there' date=' i am sure it will happen for you soon and this will be a distant memory..*HUGS*[/quote']

Thank you Vicki I said the same thing . I had a talk with God before my surgery and he answered in his way. So I have to shake it off and hope if I have to change insurance company's that the new one will approve it.

Wow, I would be pleading with my doctor to please put me in before they leave for vacation. But on the other hand, stay safe. God Bless.

My doctor wouldn't even consider removing the band and doing the bypass. So had the band removed, and ten weeks later had the bypass. Never had to have pain meds (even though I had a script) when the band was removed on a Thursday, went to work the following Tuesday. Then when I had bypass on a Wednesday only took pain meds until Sunday and was ready to go back to work on Monday (but had to get a doctor release) so stayed out for two weeks. Your doctor did the right thing, let the stomach heal, this way you probably won't have any leaks because the staples will hold. Where as, they couldn't have torn away from weakened area of the stomach and you would have complications. God works in mysterious ways and when he is in your life you are in good hands. Very sorry you have to wait but think it is the right thing.

I had to wait 6 months between...I spent the first month mad and crying because, like you, woke up and was told no RNY. You'll get there :) and it's so worth it!!!!

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 198

My doctor wouldn't even consider removing the band and doing the bypass. So had the band removed' date=' and ten weeks later had the bypass. Never had to have pain meds (even though I had a script) when the band was removed on a Thursday, went to work the following Tuesday. Then when I had bypass on a Wednesday only took pain meds until Sunday and was ready to go back to work on Monday (but had to get a doctor release) so stayed out for two weeks. Your doctor did the right thing, let the stomach heal, this way you probably won't have any leaks because the staples will hold. Where as, they couldn't have torn away from weakened area of the stomach and you would have complications. God works in mysterious ways and when he is in your life you are in good hands. Very sorry you have to wait but think it is the right thing.[/quote']

Thank you so much for you kind and encouraging words.

I had to wait 6 months between...I spent the first month mad and crying because' date=' like you, woke up and was told no RNY. You'll get there :) and it's so worth it!!!!

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 198[/quote']

It will be worth it in the end I know. Can't wait. Afraid to gain weight back but will def try to stay on a healthy path till then.

I actually lost weight when my band was removed, dropped 7 lbs in ten weeks. Just stayed eating what I ate when I had the band. It can be done, and I was afraid that I would gain, but continued like I still had the band and was taught to eat with it. But I might add I was at a stall with the band for over a year not losing anything. Since bypass have dropped a total of 25 lbs since surgery. You are going to love your journey.

I actually lost weight when my band was removed' date=' dropped 7 lbs in ten weeks. Just stayed eating what I ate when I had the band. It can be done, and I was afraid that I would gain, but continued like I still had the band and was taught to eat with it. But I might add I was at a stall with the band for over a year not losing anything. Since bypass have dropped a total of 25 lbs since surgery. You are going to love your journey.[/quote'] Thank you I plan on doing the same. I'm sure I will be fine you know how it is. They cut me in 6 places and they are sore 2 are about 2" long where the port and band were. Those are the area's on my belly that are swollen and the most tender. I know it's because they had to cut the band and port away. Husband and I are going to Disney in February so I hope I can get this done so I will be healed enough to go on the rides. Lol

I could imagine that it would be disappointing, my surgery center lost two surgeons in 2 years and is no longer practicing bariatric surgery at all. I've located another surgeon and since I have to have the band removed and revise to RNY, I now have to start the whole process all over again too. after 4 years and now starting anew. I feel so far behind. My Dr. said that we will revise 6 weeks after band removal. I don't want to be put under twice but I was told that they know what they're doing by the medical assistant when I asked the question " DOES MY BAND NEED TO BE UNFILLED BEFORE it's removed?" I just wanted to know b/c they had never mentioned that.

I could imagine that it would be disappointing' date=' my surgery center lost two surgeons in 2 years and is no longer practicing bariatric surgery at all. I've located another surgeon and since I have to have the band removed and revise to RNY, I now have to start the whole process all over again too. after 4 years and now starting anew. I feel so far behind. My Dr. said that we will revise 6 weeks after band removal. I don't want to be put under twice but I was told that they know what they're doing by the medical assistant when I asked the question " DOES MY BAND NEED TO BE UNFILLED BEFORE it's removed?" I just wanted to know b/c they had never mentioned that.[/quote']

My Dr unfilled mine because she said it is safer for surgery. There is a lot of scar tissue under the band so they have to wait to do the bypass because the scar tissue is where they need to cut and if they do it above it could be very dangerous for us, and if they cut below the pouch would be too big and we wouldn't lose weight. I'd rather be safe then sorry cause I don't want to make a third trip to the hospital. Good luck on your journey.

The same thing happened to me and I was devastated... Until I went in for my post op from gastric bypass about 12 weeks after I had my band removed (8 weeks in between band and bypass then post op was a few after that). My surgeon said in 8 short weeks, my stomach had transformed from a paper thin, unhealthy looking, pinched up, scarred organ to a normal looking stomach. She said even just a few weeks makes all the difference in the world when it comes to healing the stomach. In the end, I was SO glad my surgeon made the decision she did because I had NO complications and healed very well! I could have had many complications had she gone ahead and did it all in one day.

The same thing happened to me and I was devastated... Until I went in for my post op from gastric bypass about 12 weeks after I had my band removed (8 weeks in between band and bypass then post op was a few after that). My surgeon said in 8 short weeks, my stomach had transformed from a paper thin, unhealthy looking, pinched up, scarred organ to a normal looking stomach. She said even just a few weeks makes all the difference in the world when it comes to healing the stomach. In the end, I was SO glad my surgeon made the decision she did because I had NO complications and healed very well! I could have had many complications had she gone ahead and did it all in one day.

Thank you I believe the same about my surgeon, she's the expert.