Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Describe after diet

Can anyone tell me specifics about the after diet? I understand it's liquid for awhile- how do you graduate up? Is the hardest part craving foods you can't eat or are you simply hungry a lot?

Does anyone use protien drinks? I just clicked a link for one called powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury? anyone tried it?

Can anyone tell me specifics about the after diet? I understand it's liquid for awhile- how do you graduate up? Is the hardest part craving foods you can't eat or are you simply hungry a lot?

Does anyone use protien drinks? I just clicked a link for one called unjury? anyone tried it?

I was on liquids for 2 days pre surgery

then liquids for 1 week after surgery

then mushies like yogurt, egg salad, apple sauce etc for 2 more weeks

I am almost 4 months out and still drink Protein drinks in the morning

My doctor gave me a binder with food guidelines

I think I scanned it on my computer so I will post it for you

I was on liquids for 2 days pre surgery

then liquids for 1 week after surgery

then mushies like yogurt, egg salad, apple sauce etc for 2 more weeks

I am almost 4 months out and still drink Protein drinks in the morning

My doctor gave me a binder with food guidelines

I think I scanned it on my computer so I will post it for you

I was on liquids for 2 weeks post surgery, and surprisingly was just fine with it. I didn't miss real food during that time...guess the healing kept me from wanting to eat anything more than that. I just used the ensure high Protein shakes, along with make my own smoothies with when Protein powder. I was also able to have yogurt during that time. Now I am having soft food (for the last two weeks)...but a lot of things qualify as soft according to what my doc gave me on the food list...as long as you chew them about thirty times before swallowing. I've had tuna, chicken, mashed potatoes, cottage cheese,heavily cooked veggies, Soups, etc...just mostly Protein foods and not a lot of carbs. Occasionally I will still have a Protein shake, but I find I am usually able to get my protein in the 50-70 grams stage without it each day. White breads and salads are ok at about the 4 months stage, rice is not allowed until 6 months.

I forgot to mention that I used Unjury unflavored Protein Powder quite a bit in the beginning months. I added it to yogurt, cottage cheese, mashed potatoes, etc. It is a good way to get in extra Protein. It's not flavorless so I only used small quantities. If you go on their website, you can order samples so I recommend doing that so you can try a variety of powders.< /span>

Also, I don't really get hungry but I have more of an empty feeling. I never feel voraciously hungry like I did before surgery, even when I was banded I would get very hungry. I am actually a bit emptier in the morning and like to drink 1/2 a Protein Shake in the morning on my way to work. This is very new to me, because when I was banded, I could never eat in the morning - so I'm enjoying eating a bit of protein in the morning! :)

I also wanted to add that I really don't have very many cravings anymore. I was a big sweets eater before WLS and even after being banded, however, after plication my tastes have changed a bit. For example, when my children wanted cupcakes I bought them some Hostess cupcakes, which I used to love, and I took 1 bite of my daughter's cupcake and it tasted horrible!!! It just tasted fake and nasty - bleck! :/ not sure what happened there, but my tastes are definitely changing. I still like chocolate (a lot!) but hardly ever eat it. I bought some 100 calorie packs of Cookies and will have 1/2 a pack of those every once in awhile. I think because I track my calories and my exercise that I am very aware of how much I have to wog (walk-jog) to compensate for "junk" food ;)

The only other thing I would add would be to make sure that you measure your food especially in the beginning. It is hard to eyeball 2-4 oz. of food especially when prior to WLS we probably tended to fill our plates with food. I also bought some smaller fancy plates and always ate off of those in the first couple months. I'd put 1/2 a stick of low fat string cheese and 2 thinly cut slices of turkey on a fancy plate and enjoy my food so much more!!!

Good luck to you!

The first week post op I was on Clear Liquids. Week 2 was full liquids (basically anything you can drink through a straw). Week 3 was mushies (anything as long as it was mush).

I've never used Protein Shakes (I'm intolerant to powdered milk). I was told to get in 60 grams of Protein a day, which I guess varies with your weight/calorie intake (I started at a BMI of 30).

I follow the guidelines of eating protein first, then veggies and carbs if you have space.

I didn't have a pre-op diet because my BMI was 30 and they won't operate below that weight.

BTW I've never been told that rice is off limits.

The first week post op I was on clear liquids. Week 2 was full liquids (basically anything you can drink through a straw). Week 3 was mushies (anything as long as it was mush).

I've never used Protein shakes (I'm intolerant to powdered milk). I was told to get in 60 grams of Protein a day, which I guess varies with your weight/calorie intake (I started at a BMI of 30).

I follow the guidelines of eating protein first, then veggies and carbs if you have space.

I didn't have a pre-op diet because my BMI was 30 and they won't operate below that weight.

BTW I've never been told that rice is off limits.

My doc just said wait 6 months on the rice because it can swell in the stomach and cause lots of pain (or early on could pop a stitch). That is good to know if you are not having any problems with it. I don't eat bread, but I do like brown rice occasionally!

My restriction for rice was to wait 12 weeks - i eat it about once per week and have had no problems

My restriction for rice was to wait 12 weeks - i eat it about once per week and have had no problems

This is good to know as well! Six months seemed like an awfully long time!

Again, not that I am a big bread fan, but for comparison purposes, at what point did everyone start eating bread? What about raw veggies, like salads?

Again, not that I am a big bread fan, but for comparison purposes, at what point did everyone start eating bread? What about raw veggies, like salads?

bread I ate toasted around 10 weeks. Couldnt wait for salads but waited till 12 weeks. I eat veggies that r mushy not raw.

I was liquid for 2 days after surgery, then shakes for 3 days, then soft foods for 2 days, then real food at day 7. I was hungry on my second day, but craving have gone away now (2 wks post op). I eat when I'm hungry, and it's no longer a struggle to fight food. I am band plication and when i'm full, i'm not eating more! I get INSTANT negative feedback (pain) in my band if I take one bite too much. It's amazingly helpful, and I thought i'd REALLY struggle with emotional/impulse eating. Can't eat it. Just physically can't eat it, and not having that control is amazingly wonderful. I can't praise my procedure enough! And my band's not even filled yet!