Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you REALLY full?

So, I'm sure I'm not the only one but, I really like my food. It just plain tastes good. So, I keep picturing this turning out that (when I'm able) I'm going to eat a couple bites of something I love and just want more. So my question is, if I were to take those few bites, would I REALLY feel full and actually NOT want anymore? I just find that hard to believe. I mean, is it not as much a matter of will power to not eat it or do you really not want anymore?

Yup 2 bites extra can leave you miserable for an hour while the food passes....it's essentially aversion training. After you do it a few times you start to remember how bad it feels so you don't do it (usually)

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 204.2

Well one of two things will happen

1. You take that extra bite and you throw up

2. You take the extra bite and your pouch hurts because you ate too much.

I tell people it is like eating thanksgiving everyday. You know that over stuffed feeling you get after thanksgiving that is the feeling you get.

Is it a full stomach feeling, or up high like you have heartburn? I have a band now, so I know that full pouch feeling, but my stomach down below can still be growling and hungry....I pray it feels like thanksgiving every day otherwise I may fail!

Is it a full stomach feeling' date=' or up high like you have heartburn? I have a band now, so I know that full pouch feeling, but my stomach down below can still be growling and hungry....I pray it feels like thanksgiving every day otherwise I may fail![/quote']

Totally different then the band. I'd eat and still be starving with my band. Not its eat til you've eaten enough, you're satisfied and comfortable. It's awesome! When I do get that 'starving' feeling, 3 or 4 bites settles it down, instead of,you know, 12 Cookies :) I think you'll be pleased! And never do I get that nasty chest pressure that used to p,ague me all the time with the band!

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 204.2

I am only 6 weekes out and I am testing the waters with foods daily. I have a list of thingd I can't tolerate right now and will try later. I get the same feeling when I eat dry meat as I dob if I take a bite too many. It is a miserable feeling. Throwing up is great compared to the pain in your chest. I personally have zero appetite and and even if it is really good food I struggle making sure I eat enough. I "overate"one time and im not even sure it wasnt more of a texture thing than too much food. Anothe biggoe is not drinking for atleast 30min-1hr after you eat so you dont stretch your stoma out and can have a full feeling after you eat.

So' date=' I'm sure I'm not the only one but, I really like my food. It just plain tastes good. So, I keep picturing this turning out that (when I'm able) I'm going to eat a couple bites of something I love and just want more. So my question is, if I were to take those few bites, would I REALLY feel full and actually NOT want anymore? I just find that hard to believe. I mean, is it not as much a matter of will power to not eat it or do you really not want anymore?[/quote']

If you over eat even of you don't feel full you will know it. It hurts bad!! So I have learned to not over eat. You won't want to eat that extra bit cuz you know it will hurt. -

At least that is it for me. I. 3 mos out now.

Is it a full stomach feeling' date=' or up high like you have heartburn? I have a band now, so I know that full pouch feeling, but my stomach down below can still be growling and hungry....I pray it feels like thanksgiving every day otherwise I may fail![/quote']

If you over eat it will hurt! You will know it! It took me 4 times to realize when I'm full. I don't do it anymore!!

I really like food too and thought the same as you. But you seriously can not eat like you used too. I would eat 3 eggs, hashbrowns, pancakes, and sausage beforehand with no problems. After surgery, one little egg filled me up. It is the craziest thing to feel and so awesome!

I am only 6 weekes out and I am testing the waters with foods daily. I have a list of thingd I can't tolerate right now and will try later. I get the same feeling when I eat dry meat as I dob if I take a bite too many. It is a miserable feeling. Throwing up is great compared to the pain in your chest. I personally have zero appetite and and even if it is really good food I struggle making sure I eat enough. I "overate"one time and im not even sure it wasnt more of a texture thing than too much food. Anothe biggoe is not drinking for atleast 30min-1hr after you eat so you dont stretch your stoma out and can have a full feeling after you eat.

Eating only one bite too many is absolutely the worst feeling! As is eating something too dry or too fast and having it get 'stuck'. When it happens I feel if only I could throw up I would feel better. It has to be better than 1 - 2+ hours of pain, nausea, and gurgling saliva in my throat. The other day I did throw up for the first time and it wasn't really any better. I was mildly nauseous for quite a while afterwards, I couldn't drink, and I lost the Protein I ate. I couldn't eat again when the feelings subsided because by then it was bedtime.

Most of the time I can tell when I'm full. I start to get a tight, mildly painful feeling just below and between my breasts. When I feel that it means STOP RIGHT NOW! Put the fork/spoon down and walk away. :-) That last bite can mean the difference between satisfaction and misery.

I really don't think the holidays will be an issue for me. It is physically impossible for me to eat anything close to the amount I used to. And there is the 'aversion' factor - suffering pain over eating too much or eating forbidden food that is not good for me anyway. I am at the point where I am totally indifferent to food. I just feed the machine. I can cook food for others (I like to cook but I LOVE to bake) and I can be around food at parties with no problem, as long as I have my planned meals and snack with me. I carry my little lunch bag with me everywhere. I keep non-perishable healthy Snacks in my car and purse.

I don't want to eat what and how I used to. I loved food but it didn't love me. I was carb sensitive and sugar-addicted. It was making me sick and possibly leading me to an early death. I'm moving on to what is good for me and I feel great, physically and mentally. I don't want that misery back. For me, continued success will depend on making these changes in eating and activity a permanent lifestyle change. I hear that it will be harder someday but I think learning self-control now will help me then.