Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats the biggest weight loss myth you have ever heard?

I was just in the store and saw the headline on First for women magazine and it said LOSE 21 LBS THIS WEEK!

Ya Right!!!

The diet myths that always drove me crazy came from thin people who had never been on a diet. My mother was always around 110lbs and she said that all she ever had to do to stay slim was to tuck in her shirt and that reminded her not to eat. Hmmm No wonder I'm fat!

I think my mother is finally starting to understand me. She said all she had to do to lose weight when she was younger was think "I want to lose weight." Now she has gone through menopause and is close to hypothyroidism. She works out all the time and eats pretty well and can't lose a pound!

With Xenical- I had to wear a pad and I kept checking my seat at work to make sure there wasn't an oil slick. How embarassing!:)

How about Diet Center....CHICKEN BREASTS GALORE!!!! I remember my mom doing this and I was 11. I wanted to do it too. I remember going EVERY SINGLE DAY to get weighed, and taking those humongous pills. Oh boy, what a time that was!!

I think someone mentioned this earlier. The one that nearly killed me -- LITERALLY, I'll die from the after affects if I don't get banded and soon! -- was THE T-FACTOR DIET!

The 'anti-Atkins', if you will.

Their big pitch was, "You can eat 47 baked potatoes with nothing on them for the fat that's in one hamburger".

Aye carumba, when I think of all the nasty baked potatoes I ate WITH NOTHING ON THEM.....!??!?!?:) And Pasta and rice with nothing on it!!!

I could've been eating HAAGEN-DAAS and I wouldn't have gained as much!

If we'd known back then (late 80s, early 90s) that my mother was diabetic, I would've done a little research and realized that all those carbs were NOT a good idea. But by the time she was diagnosed I'd gained over 100 lbs eating bland, tasteless carbs!!:faint:

Oh, well, live and learn!! I've been screeching ever since I found out that that stupid food pyramid is a death-sentence to pre-diabetics. Thank goodness there's finally some reform happening!!

When I was in something like the 5th grade (and the 2nd heaviest kid in my grade SCHOOL), my Mom had the two of us join a gym called "Slenderbolic". The three things I remember there were (and I am showing my age here folks!) (1) the belt around your butt or waist that hooked on the machine and jiggled the hell out of you, (2) this cage kindof contraption that you climbed into and it hyad metal rollers that rolled up and down you from your knees to your armpits and (3) the roller machine thingys that had rows of rounded and nubby wooden and you sat on it or leaned your stomach against it (but it MUST be rolling TOWARDS the heart, now don't forget!). All any of them did was make you itch. I always liked those best because I didn't have to DO anything but stand there. Gee, I wonder why I didn't lose anything......

Glad you guys bumped this thread, I never saw it before!

A lot of great laughs for sure!!

No one has ever told me they think I'm taking the easy way out with the lap-band.. they do ask how much I've lost more than I'd like to hear, but c'est la vie (or whatever!).

I've tried a lot of things through the years..

Took every legal form of speed in the 90's and 2000's.. Metabolife, Yellow Jackets, etc. etc. Then when they banned ephedra, I was getting it smuggled style... then they made it legal again.

Cabbage diet, tried that.. I love cabbage Soup, but this diet didn't last with me.

I've tried some diet my granny got from the hospital, they made her go on it to lose weight for heart surgery.. Similar to the other version of cabbage soup someone listed here.. eat all fruits day 1, except bananas...etc..

Well my DH was trying to be supportive, we were on day 1.. nothing but fruits! I made a nice fruit salad to keep on hand.. we ate several oranges and pears.. That night we were fighting over our 1 toilet. In fact, he went in his pants without even realizing it till it happened. Talk about flushing your system out! BLEH! So we stopped that diet.

Atkins did work for me, but I could not stick to it for life--like you're suppose to. And of course, the minute I was off Atkins.. over the next 12 months I gained all 70lbs back plus 30 more for good measure.

I've tried countless other diet pills too.. Carb blockers, Trimspa (pff..), smartslim, etc.. The way I saw it--and I knew it when buying this junk.. if they ever actually MADE A PILL THAT MADE YOU LOSE ALL THE WEIGHT THEY ADVERTISE.. it would be in the newspapers.. and not in a paid advertisement.

Also tried slimfast, my aunt actually did really well on that and has maintained her weightloss... didn't work for me.

I've heard of just about everything already mentioned. I've done the grapefruit diet several times. You couldn't pay me to do the weinie diet though, gag!

I finally told a good friend of mine about me wanting the lap-band, and her response was "Why don't you just diet and excersize like the rest of the world?" Gee, why didn't I think of that? Hell, I've been on a diet since I was 15 years practically! :phanvan I'm not saying anything else about it to her, I need support not cynicisim.

Here's my studip teenage diet. I was on the track team and every week before the big meet we would go out to load up on carbs, for energy in the morning. The problem was I wasn't a runner, I threw shotput. Anyway a friend on the team said to eat whatever you want but then flush your system with shredded wheat, lots and lots of Water and then take a laxative. I followed that plan all the way through my first two years in college. As a result, freshman 15 was more like freshman 50.

Does anyone remember the diet cookie. They used to sell them in the health-food stores. The thing was about the size of a hockey puck and had Fiber from every known fruit source known to man. I can remember the add from the guy who invented them saying "If you see me eating anything but my Cookies, you can punch me in the face". Or some stupid thing like that. The guy claimed he had lost over 100 pounds on them.

Does anyone remember the diet cookie. They used to sell them in the health-food stores. The thing was about the size of a hockey puck and had fiber from every known fruit source known to man. I can remember the add from the guy who invented them saying "If you see me eating anything but my Cookies, you can punch me in the face". Or some stupid thing like that. The guy claimed he had lost over 100 pounds on them.

A diet of fiber cookies.... Eat and poop, what a way to live! :)

And if I'm hungry I'm hungry, drinking Water doesnt solve the problem. And I dont know about anyone else, but my body is evolved enough to tell me that its thirsty. It doesnt mix its signals and tell me its hungry when really its thirsty!

Jachut

I just found this tread (trying not to eat so surfing our board) and I agree with you 100% - on the Water issue and total food issue

Thanks for reminding me of all the crazy things I have sone thru the years.. lol...

I just read somewhere that you should eat normally one day, nothing the next, to keep your metabolism at its highest all the time.

Also, the moon diet. Just drink Water during full moons and eat whatever you want on the other moons.

Boy, for an intelligent lady I have certainly done my share of stupid diets!