Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What surprised you?

I know we can never be fully prepared no matter how much we research, read forums, and talk to people. But, I'm wondering what you didn't know before surgery? What didn't the docs tell you? What surprised you?

How much pulling the drainage tube out hurt. how much energy I would have in a few weeks. How different my hands would look. And how people who know you had the surgery always look your stomach when you walk in the room. still no matter what negative things may have happened the good things far out weight the bad.

How much pulling the drainage tube out hurt. how much energy I would have in a few weeks. How different my hands would look. And how people who know you had the surgery always look your stomach when you walk in the room. still no matter what negative things may have happened the good things far out weight the bad.

That dam drainage tube !!! I knew it hurt because my Mom had one in after she had surgery on her lung. I was standing right next to her when the dr. pulled it out and she screamed so loud and my Mom could take a lot of pain too. So when the dr. told me he was going to take it out I was totally prepaired for it and it hurt like hell. But it was only for a few seconds.

I was surprised as how fast I recovered from surgery I was back to work in a week.

I am surprised by how hard it really is to drink all that Water.< /span>

I am surprised that I thought I would be farther along in weight loss already but I am forgetting that this is 'my' body.

I am surprised that I can easily eat most foods.

I am surprised that I really don't miss sweets but crave salt now.

I am surprised that I have gained some confidence. I want to put a bag over my head less.

I am surprised that no one has noticed my weight loss. How vain is that?

I am surprised that my thighs are smaller.

I am surprised at how hard it is for me to give away clothes that I had.

I was REALLY surprised at the hormone rollercoaster after surgery. Crying, oily hair, zits, period from hell, etc.

I was surprised at how caring strangers can be. This board has been amazing!!! Thank you

what surprised me the most, how affraid i would be to take a swallow. How when they did my swallow study i was so affraid to take a swallow that the radiologist had to ask me 5 times to take a BIG swallow. I had it so engrained that i had to sip sip sip sip sip that i was really sipping tooo small. A small swallow is a good sip but i was sipping like a little kid on a cup of hot cocoa and that was not enough to stay hydrated.

I'm not quite a week out but I've had a few surprises already:

•Giving myself the levonox shots isn't so bad.

•It's hard to get the Water, Protein and meds in.

•I still feel bloated/swollen from the gas, painful.

•The head hunger-that I still "want" to eat and drink all the things I did before-it was like pulling teeth to get my hubby to drink or eat after his surgery.

•That I would panic not knowing what to eat other than what I had at the hospital (water broth and sf jello).

•Seemed like I was taking in too many "sweet" things such as the Protein drinks, Jello, pudding, etc. and not hating it. I wanted my taste for sweets to GO AWAY!!

•that I didn't get Migraines from lack of caffeine.

•That after all these years I would feel so confused about food.

i am surprised how fast you can get up and moving after surgery,

... how nasty the the swollowing xr is after the wls

... how quck it comes off the first, month but stalls will happen often

... how hard it can be to swallow a pill

... how hard head hunger is... that you think ur hungry but ur not.

.... to get all the liquids in

... how constipated you will be lol!

Wow this is a loaded question as there was so much that surprised me.

Positives

My confidence.

My feeling of being sexy

Enjoying buying sexy underwear

Sex with my husband - wow it is like we are newlyweds again, but it is 10X better

Realizing people are looking at me because I look good, and because I am fat

Negatives

Head hunger

Being sick the first two months - nothing stayed down

Emotions - being out of control and crying at the drop of a hat

Family dinners - hard to watch family eat when you can not eat much

What surprised me? I didn't know I'd be having surgery not once, but twice. First time was bypass, 2 days later it was corrective surgery because there was a kink in the small intestine causing me to throw up, have reflux, and not be able to hold anything down. Nothing could prepare me for this. I was concerned I was going to have a nervous breakdown and cried hysterically when I found out during my swallow study that something got messed up. God, it was tough. Tomorrow I do another swallow study. I'm a healthy 27 year old who in a million years never thought something like this would happen. I took the surgery very lightly and I took the pain and recovery lightly. There are millions of things you will see and feel that you simply CANNOT research or read about to understand fully. You will be tested. Emotionally, physically, mentally. You may even regret it. After years of preparing, none of that really helped lol. It's all very individual.

What surprised me? I didn't know I'd be having surgery not once' date=' but twice. First time was bypass, 2 days later it was corrective surgery because there was a kink in the small intestine causing me to throw up, have reflux, and not be able to hold anything down. Nothing could prepare me for this. I was concerned I was going to have a nervous breakdown and cried hysterically when I found out during my swallow study that something got messed up. God, it was tough. Tomorrow I do another swallow study. I'm a healthy 27 year old who in a million years never thought something like this would happen. I took the surgery very lightly and I took the pain and recovery lightly. There are millions of things you will see and feel that you simply CANNOT research or read about to understand fully. You will be tested. Emotionally, physically, mentally. You may even regret it. After years of preparing, none of that really helped lol. It's all very individual.[/quote']

When was your original surgery and how are you doing now? I hope all is well.

Original surgery was Jan 15 and cprrective emergency surgery 2 days later. Feeling SO much better, no comparison! After swallow test, I am allowed Clear Liquids and will probably go home from the hospital today. Feeling muchhh better. These things happen, but are talked about much less often lol

Original surgery was Jan 15 and cprrective emergency surgery 2 days later. Feeling SO much better' date=' no comparison! After swallow test, I am allowed clear liquids and will probably go home from the hospital today. Feeling muchhh better. These things happen, but are talked about much less often lol[/quote']

Good luck!!! Hope you're heading home

I was surprised that I felt so much pain after surgery. BUT, I would do it all over again 10 times to be where I am today. I was surprised that I actually lost so much weight! ha ha ha I knew I was going to but, it was more of a faraway dream. Now I'm living my dream.