Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My name is Ashley, I am a wife and mother living in Southeast georgia. I just turned 30 years old, a few weeks ago. I have NAFLD, which is a fatty liver. I was suggested to have Bariatric surgery in April of 2012, it was a total shock to me. As a very confident person in my own shoes, I never thought I was a canidate for such surgery. Since that day, I have learned ALOT about myself. I was in denile of needing it at first, eventually, in September, I decided to go to the siminar. Since attending it, I have became very comfortable with the process and am now in my 2 week pre-op liquid diet. I have gastric bypass January 9th, 2013.

Good luck with your journey, I alwasy thought that you had to be like 600 lbs. to be a candidate for RNY.. boy was I wrong. As soon as I found out that I fit into the requirements for surgery I jumpend on the bandwagon and had surgery. It was the best thing I ever did !!!!

Good Luck Ashley! The 2 week pre op diet is no joke, but so worth it. I lost 22 pounds before surgery on the 2 week liquid diet. Now post op the weight continues to melt away. I am looking forward to more energy so I can keep up with my son. Good Luck with all, Ashley!

Ashley welcome and wishing you the very best these two weeks and beyond. Seven years ago when A Doc told me I needed barbaric surgery I thought he had grown a third eye or something. But I did check into it after a bit and ended up being very stubborn and thinking I knew everything and I got the lap band. Well that is not what kind of surgery that Doc was talking about he meant the gastric bypass, but I thought no way that is way to aggressive and I don't have that much weight to lose. But that very wise Doc knew that the Gastric Bypass would help my diabetes not just weight loss. But I wouldn't listen. Seven years later with losing and gaining the same 30 pounds over and over and no improvement in my diabetes, only worsening, I sought out having a revision. And I am three weeks out from having my lap band removed and gastric bypass performed. And my diabetes is improving little by little everyday. I wasted seven years of being close to a shut in all because I thought I knew it all. You have made a wise decision, all be it a hard one, but one you should be very proud of yourself for making. This forum is a very special place with people who have so much compassion and knowledge. You will find so much support, Again Welcome and wishing you the very very best,

Welcome

We are all guilty of procrastination. I wish I had done this years ago when my doctor first made reference to it. But I did not listen.

Good luck on your journey it's worth all the effort

And the worst part is almost over the 2 week pre-op diet called Hell week

Another January 9th RnYer here. On day three of the pre-op liquid diet, which is going so-so. (Causing some stomach upset.) Had some broth tonight for a change--who knew fat free, reduced sodium chicken broth would ever taste so good??!!

That is awesome to find 2 people with the same date of surgery!! AWESOME! Are you both doin 2 week liquids only? Ducky07 - I am also having stomache upset, I think for me its the Protein Shakes, but upset stomach is not uncommon for me, every since I had my gall bladder out, its pretty normal for me. Teka2011 - I have been doing okay with the liquids... its not easy, but I have to say its not as hard as I was thinking, not yet atleast. The worst part for me is preparing foods for my family while I can not eat them... but its the start of a new life and if I cant suck it up and handle it now, how will I later... so thats what keeps me strong! I was dreading the Protein shakes a lot, but they have turned out not to be soo bad, I know for sure they are what keep me from getting hungry. The first few days I had a headache, but today I do not, maybe my body is adjusting. I had to go for my presurgical testing on Thursday, which was day 2 of liquids for me, and that was hard, cause I had to fast, I was already on liquids only but then had to fast from midnight til 11am, while waiting for my testing, I had crazy fat girl thoughts... "i could just drive thru mcdonalds after this and no one would know" THANKFULLY, I fought that urge. I kept telling myself What good would that do?! Since I already have a fatty liver, its really dangerous for me to even condiser cheating the 2 weeks liquids cause I need my liver to shrink, LOTS! What are yalls stats right now? I cant find one of those cute ticker things, or how to insdtall it on my blog/signature, do yall know how?

NicoleK- How is your post op going so far since 12/17?

Can anyone tell me how to do the weight tracker ticker thing?

I had crazy fat girl thoughts... "i could just drive thru mcdonalds after this and no one would know"

I hear you! The first night of liquids, when I was driving home, I swear every sign on the road was for one restaurant/fast food joint/pizza place or another. And I found myself thinking, "How would they ever know?" BUT...over the summer during the pre-testing/jumping through insurance hoops stage, I went through a very big "@$% it all, I'm having surgery soon so I'm gonna eat what I want" phase...and gained 9-10 lbs. When I went back in for a visit with my surgeon, he wouldn't schedule surgery until I started losing again. I definitely don't want to get to the hospital the day of and have him cancel because I gained again!

As for the weight tracker--I just figured it out, we'll see if works when I post this. On the web-based boards (not the iPad app) at the very top of the page on the right, there's a blue header that has an envelope, your avatar and your profile name. If you click on the down arrow next to your name, a pull-down menu with a bunch of different options appears. Go to "My Tickers" and follow the directions. (BTW, I didn't know either until I saw your question and started investigating :))

Oh--also--I spoke to the surgeon's nurse, and she told me stomach upset is not uncommon when you start the shakes. According to her, it's either the body adjusting to the high-protein, low-carb deal, or a possible lactose intolerance (which runs in my family). If I'm still having issues on Monday, they'll switch me to a different brand. Never thought to ask if it could be gallbladder-related, mine's been out for more than five years.

That is awesome to find 2 people with the same date of surgery!! AWESOME! Are you both doin 2 week liquids only? Ducky07 - I am also having stomache upset' date=' I think for me its the Protein shakes, but upset stomach is not uncommon for me, every since I had my gall bladder out, its pretty normal for me. Teka2011 - I have been doing okay with the liquids... its not easy, but I have to say its not as hard as I was thinking, not yet atleast. The worst part for me is preparing foods for my family while I can not eat them... but its the start of a new life and if I cant suck it up and handle it now, how will I later... so thats what keeps me strong! I was dreading the Protein Shakes a lot, but they have turned out not to be soo bad, I know for sure they are what keep me from getting hungry. The first few days I had a headache, but today I do not, maybe my body is adjusting. I had to go for my presurgical testing on Thursday, which was day 2 of liquids for me, and that was hard, cause I had to fast, I was already on liquids only but then had to fast from midnight til 11am, while waiting for my testing, I had crazy fat girl thoughts... "i could just drive thru mcdonalds after this and no one would know" THANKFULLY, I fought that urge. I kept telling myself What good would that do?! Since I already have a fatty liver, its really dangerous for me to even condiser cheating the 2 weeks liquids cause I need my liver to shrink, LOTS! What are yalls stats right now? I cant find one of those cute ticker things, or how to insdtall it on my blog/signature, do yall know how?[/quote']

Def feel like that! Who would know but your right, fatty liver is no joke. I have it too it's getting easier, the cpap isn't though! Ugh I feel like darth vader lol. I don't know about the ticker thing. I commend you because I live alone and my cabinets are empty! I couldn't prepare food for anyone at this point.

Welcome to the group & hope for the best in this journey