Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who are you telling before surgery?

I've told my dad and my husband. The closest friend I told' date=' we we are no longer friends. :•\

I'm not telling anyone else until this summer and after some weight has come off and I've gotten into a good routine with working out. I want only positive stuff, not the crazy unsupported stuff, I know I will deal better later with it after I've gotten into my new long term lifestyle![/quote']

I'm sorry you lost a friend...sometimes those closest to us don't know how to react- because of fear, jealousy, etc...you'll be surprised by being open, how many people sympathize with you or just cheer you on in general. Everyone likes to be a part of someone's success. Hopefully your friend comes around!

I've only told a handfull of people ( my hubby, mom, aunt cause she had it 7 years ago, bro in law and his wife cause she and I are doing it together we have the same surgon so she was bound to find out). I kind of regret her finding out.. its been nothing but negative because she is getting the sleeve and I the bypass.... I will tell everyone else either when I get a date or after..

I'm having a hard time deciding how to do this also. My family knows, but I told a few of my co-workers and I had really negative feedback. I can't decide if it's better to tell everyone upfront and deal with the chance of negativity, or if its best to keep it a secret and chance having people get mad and think I'm hiding something or lying.

Ughh. So difficult.

I told everyone. Family, friends and co-workers.

I've told everyone too, for the most part. Family, friends, co-workers, classmates. I've not received one negative comment from those I've told...at least not to my face hahaha. I've got nothing to hide with this surgery :)

I'm not hising just don't want to deal wirh The bs some of my in law family would start. They don't believe in wls. I see how they are acting to my sis in law and they like her...

Well I've told my wife who told her mom & dad, and sister & bro-in-law, and I have told my mom & dad, and my boss obviously to get the time off work. My Boss is very supportive, as I have known him for 10yrs so that was awesome. I feel I need to tell my siblings, 2 brothers & my sister. But not sure when or how.

I have also told my best friend he's been around since I was 2, so he was super supportive.

I have my doubts every now and then for a few seconds, and then I remind myself of why, and I'm good to go. I have a surgery date, but just waiting on approval which I should get next week, and then I will tell the rest of my family. And maybe my other best friend(he lives far away, so hardly have the chance to see him).

I'm hearing that a lot of people are quite hush hush about people knowing that they are having surgery. I don't mind telling my friends and family at all.

My Mom had surgery 2 years ago and didn't tell anyone-- including me-- until like 2 weeks after surgery. I don't mind telling people because I feel it opens a line of communication and gives me the opportunity to address misconceptions about it.

Don't get me wrong' date=' I'm not wearing a neon sign and singing from the hilltops, but people who have been supporting me on my weight loss journey all know.

Are you telling people, or reserving it as a personal, private decision?[/quote']

I have been too except people at work ask why Im off work or why Im not eating..... I made a Facebook announcement and told people either be supportive or be deleted... anyways told my family but otherwise was hush hush until last minute

Neek----->DOS: 1/22/13