Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok so I spoke to my Dr to clarify some rumors I heard about his pain control procedures and he did indeed tell me he does not use narcotic pain killers after the bypass surgery. Has anyone here had the surgery and not needed them? Really worried about being in horrific amounts of pain

My opionion yes yer doctor is insane. I would clarify with him if he doesn't perscribe narcotics as a standard order or at all. Because the no option of narcotics I wouldn't get it done. I was in a lot of pain after surgery and I have had 2 c-section and found this surgery to be more painful.

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing I have had my gallbladder and appendix out and really cant imagine not having anything. I asked him and he is pretty firm with his no narcotic stance....I just don't see toradol or whatever he is using as being effective here.

Thats crazy.... I hate taking any kind of pain medication and actually tried to avoid them after my surgery but i found the pain intolerable and HAD to take them a for a few days after surgery.....i couldnt imagine not having them available, i also had two c sections and the rny surgery was 10x more painful.

Thank you ladies!! I wasn't sure if I was being dramatic about it. I just emailed his coordinator letting them know if we can't work out an agreement I will need to go elsewhere so we will see what he says.

I took Advil after my surgery and, since I had it 12 years ago, I had the full incision form my sternum to my belly button! I don't know how I did it but I know that I took one percocet and it made me feel so horrible that I just relied on Advil.

Ok I think your doc is insane first tordol is an NSAID which causes thinning of the stomach lining even if given IV and increases your chances of ulcers. Second pain is very individual and while some people can tolerate abdominal surgery with Tylenol a vast majority need stronger meds. I had a diluadid pca in hospital and diluadid pills for at home. I really needed them that first week and weaned from daytime use the second week.

I used the morphine pump one time right after surgery, after that Tylenol. I never used any pain medication after the first day anyway. I think it should be an option as everyone's tolerance level is different.

I had the morphine pump, I only used it a couple of times because it made me really sick. I was also in a blind study for a tylenol pump which the doctor and nurses fiquered I was getting it because I didn't have a lot of pain. He sent me home with Loaratab elixer which I did have to use for a few days. I still have 11/2 large bottles left. I think I was really lucky, He should give you the option on what you want for pain.

there us no way the first 3 days advil or just tylenol would have worked. I had dilaudid and roxicontin in hospital and loritab for home. I am a week out and still need at least 1 a day

This is absurd. I'm in nursing school and know patient's rights. You have a legal RIGHT to proper pain relief.