Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Traditional Bypass Vs. Sleeve

I had originally opted for the sleeve procedure, but my insurance may not cover. Can you give me your experiences with the bypass? Successes and complications so I can make a good decision? Thanks. Christi

I had originally opted for the sleeve procedure' date=' but my insurance may not cover. Can you give me your experiences with the bypass? Successes and complications so I can make a good decision? Thanks. Christi[/quote']

I have had not 1 complication from my by pass and I am 2years out

I had chosen the sleeve but my insurance wouldn't cover so I had to have the bypass but honestly I'm happier that I had the bypass because it has a higher success rate and is more restrictive and I need that to be successful

- Kaylee Ann ~ Surgerversary: 6/11/12

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. After reading more, I have decided that the bypass is the best option. Looking to have surgery in August. Thanks again! Christi

I also thought about the sleeve then went to RNY and now again am feeling like the sleeve. Only on the thought of malabsorption

I just feel like I don't want to seriously always see my doctors for the rest of my life. And I want to absorb my Protein and other important benefits from food.

Did I make the right choice with the RNY I hope so but it's too late to change it now.

Also question I have is when could you chug Water like normal?

RNY and sleeve both have their advantages and disadvantages. Some factors to consider:

• Sleeve is still relatively new - about 15 years. RNY has been done in various forms since the 1950's.
  • RNY is by far the most common bariatric surgery. Approximately 80% of all bariatric surgeries worldwide are RNY.
  • Becuse of the two factors above, there is a great deal more experience and long term statistical information on the outcomes of RNY surgeries compared to sleeve. This may be part of the reason that some insurance companies are still hesitant to cover the sleeve.
  • RNY is more invasive than sleeve but average weight loss for RNY patients is substantially higher than it is for sleeve patients. That may change as more experience is gained with sleeve and better procedures and techniques are developed.
  • RNY is widely acknowledged as the single most effective "treatment" for type 2 diabetes currently available to medical science.
  • RNY has a greater risk of malnutrition than sleeve because RNY involves both restriction and malabsorption while sleeve is restrictive only.
  • Both surgeries appear to be equally safe as far as mortality goes. However, non life-threatening post-op complications such as infections are more common for the more invasive RNY than they are for sleeve.

Thank you so much DLCoggin. I have decided on the bypass. Now to get insurance approval!

You're certainly welcome Butterfly. Welcome to the forum of big losers!

I have decided on the RNY but after learning more about the sleeve, I was considering it. Only because of being able to have my excedrin (well the other types now). I get lots of headaches. But on other hand I'm counting on having many less after weight loss. So may not be a problem after.

Guess I've become dependant on it....scared to NOT be able to have the ability, if needed....

Everything else points me to RNY so will go with it but that's the one thing that gives me pause.

Sorry, think I'm just rambling here...

I have decided on the RNY but after learning more about the sleeve' date=' I was considering it. Only because of being able to have my excedrin (well the other types now). I get lots of headaches. But on other hand I'm counting on having many less after weight loss. So may not be a problem after.

Guess I've become dependant on it....scared to NOT be able to have the ability, if needed....

Everything else points me to RNY so will go with it but that's the one thing that gives me pause.

Sorry, think I'm just rambling here...[/quote']

I have heard that your headaches will go away due to the weight loss and that leads to less pressure on your brain. So this will help you.

And your not rambling at all we are all here to support you

Well, I should have listened to this very informative info 3 yrs ago when I chose the band instead. I was type 2 diabetic and still is. I have another 35 lbs to lose and I dont see myself getting there with the band. I've had my issues with it and have been this same weight for two yrs. My Dr. says I can still have RNY done. I'm 5'3" and 205lbs. I'm afraid of losing too much but dont want the possible complications of diabetes either. I have lost 45 lbs with the band. Open for any ideas or suggestions.

Well' date=' I should have listened to this very informative info 3 yrs ago when I chose the band instead. I was type 2 diabetic and still is. I have another 35 lbs to lose and I dont see myself getting there with the band. I've had my issues with it and have been this same weight for two yrs. My Dr. says I can still have RNY done. I'm 5'3" and 205lbs. I'm afraid of losing too much but dont want the possible complications of diabetes either. I have lost 45 lbs with the band. Open for any ideas or suggestions.[/quote']

If You can do it then do it. I've never seen or heard anyone regret wls.