Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New body but same body image

I lost almost 70 pounds since my surgery back in June. I am a size 12 a little on the loose side but not a size 10 yet. I went clothes shopping I fit Into everything but walked out with nothing. Why? Because I still see the old me from three months ago, and I feel like despite everything fit, in my mind it looks horrible. My brain is still trying to process what I'm looking at in the mirror.

My question is....if you went through this how did you over come it? How long did it take for you to see yourself as you really are?

Thanks in advance :)

Wow you lost that very quick! I think time will help heal that lousy self image some.

But the fact of matter is we all need to work on self love through this journey.

We need to love our imperfect selves. something I think a lot of us didn't do in the past, and possibly lead us to the weight gain..

Love your imperfect self take joy in moving, breathing easier and Celebrate the journey that you are on :)

I don't have an answer, but I feel the same way. I had surgery in July, and I'm 63ish lbs down, but I still see the same old me. I went from a size 26 to a 17/18, but I can't see it :(

Wow you lost that very quick! I think time will help heal that lousy self image some. But the fact of matter is we all need to work on self love through this journey. We need to love our imperfect selves. something I think a lot of us didn't do in the past' date=' and possibly lead us to the weight gain.. Love your imperfect self take joy in moving, breathing easier and Celebrate the journey that you are on :)[/quote']

Thank you! That was beautifully put! You are so right. Definitely something I am going to have to work on.

not sure why 70 pounds came off so quick but it didn't even give me anytime to process and people I run Into think I'm sick or something.

I love the above response. I think therapy may help too, I fully expect to be where you are, and I've got my (food-centered) therapist on speed-dial! That being said, I am working hard to trust in the process...for me, still waiting for surgery.

I don't have an answer' date=' but I feel the same way. I had surgery in July, and I'm 63ish lbs down, but I still see the same old me. I went from a size 26 to a 17/18, but I can't see it :([/quote']

JessicaAnn I'm sorry you are going through it as well. Just good to know we are not the only ones that feel this way. It's helps hearing others express what they are going through.

I lost almost 70 pounds since my surgery back in June. I am a size 12 a little on the loose side but not a size 10 yet. I went clothes shopping I fit Into everything but walked out with nothing. Why? Because I still see the old me from three months ago, and I feel like despite everything fit, in my mind it looks horrible. My brain is still trying to process what I'm looking at in the mirror.

My question is....if you went through this how did you over come it? How long did it take for you to see yourself as you really are?

Thanks in advance :)

I hear ya Ruthie. I have no confidence issue in any area of my life other than how I look. Just this weekend, I was wearing a pair of "regular" pants ( a first for me in my adult life) from the Gap. No wide leg, no Plus. And I tugged at them all day. No they didn't' feel tight, but I thought for sure I was rolling out of them. I asked my sister - we have a total honest pact thing going- if she felt they were too tight. She shook her head at me. Told me to get a grip and or a better mirror. I ONLY see a difference in pictures and because I all but hid from a camera before I have no good full body shots to really see. This struggle to see the new body will be ongoing, but it is getting better slowly. I'm not done losing yet, like Laura said, I'm embracing the imperfect me. Thankfully I get now get my arms around her.

I ONLY see a difference in pictures and because I all but hid from a camera before I have no good full body shots to really see. This struggle to see the new body will be ongoing, but it is getting better slowly. I'm not done losing yet, like Laura said, I'm embracing the imperfect me. Thankfully I get now get my arms around her.

Wish i could see the difference in pictures. Took my daughter apple picking over the weekend and my sister in law snapped a photo of me while i wasnt looking. :angry: After seeing it, my entire confidence level shot straight to the floor. I've lost about 30 pounds and was happy with my progress until i saw that darn photo. I still saw the me 30 lbs ago. It kind of felt like i'm working so hard and its not even paying off even though i KNOW that it is... . think its time to work on the negative self images and stop being my own worst critic.

Fantastic on your 70 lbs!

Did you follow the diet and exercise program or make your own, I'm newly sleeved and would love to achieve numbers like that.

As for self image, do you attend your post surgery group classes or no. I wonder if those would help you see that what you feel is normal, that people who have lost large amounts of weight have a problem seeing the thinner new person. If seeing pictures helps you see this, then maybe you should post pictures of you thinner everywhere so you train your mind to say, see I am this person now and help with the current self image you have. No one is perfect and we are all unique. Great job you are an inspiration now.

Fantastic on your 70 lbs! Did you follow the diet and exercise program or make your own' date=' I'm newly sleeved and would love to achieve numbers like that. As for self image, do you attend your post surgery group classes or no. I wonder if those would help you see that what you feel is normal, that people who have lost large amounts of weight have a problem seeing the thinner new person. If seeing pictures helps you see this, then maybe you should post pictures of you thinner everywhere so you train your mind to say, see I am this person now and help with the current self image you have. No one is perfect and we are all unique. Great job you are an inspiration now.[/quote']

I followed the docs diet until he gave me the go ahead to eat regular food which was about a month after my surgery. I strictly eat nutritious Proteins such as chicken lots of fish and veggies and fruits. I eat low carb low sugar BUT I do treat myself often to frozen yogurt and I are 1 slice of my favorite pizza. One slice is all I could fit. I avoid red meat because it makes my tummy hurt.

As for exercise I try to walk as much as possible I have a fitbit Bracelet to motivate me but I haven't seriously committed to an exercise program yet. I need to because my rear end is looking a mess!

L

Wish i could see the difference in pictures. Took my daughter apple picking over the weekend and my sister in law snapped a photo of me while i wasnt looking. :angry: After seeing it' date=' my entire confidence level shot straight to the floor. I've lost about 30 pounds and was happy with my progress until i saw that darn photo. I still saw the me 30 lbs ago. It kind of felt like i'm working so hard and its not even paying off even though i KNOW that it is... . think its time to work on the negative self images and stop being my own worst critic.[/quote']

Pictures for me I try to avoid as well! I don't mind profile pics but full body pics are a no go for me as well. I seriously think our mind is projecting the image we used to see!

I too went through the same thing! We see results but not the results that we desperatly want to see. We want to see us near our goal, no back fat no stomach rolls, nothing! lol...I use to complain meanwhile people are like "wowww look at you!" and im thinkin, yeahh look at me! :-( lol...Im happier now bc im focusin on strength training and I feel the muscle and less fat, and I know for sure I've changed drastically..Once u are near ur goal u will see the difference :D