Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hard Time With Pre Op Diet

Just Wondering If Anyone Else Had A Hard Time With The Pre Op Diet. I Cant Seem To Stick To It As Well As I Should And Am Wondering If This Will Mean No Success After The Surgery Or Problems With The Surgery. I'm Being Banded 1/31. Help!?

I am on my pre op diet, I started Fri, 01/19 and I am scheduled to be banded Fri, 02/02....the weekend was a lil tricky and I have to admit I didn't stick to it as strictly as I should have but today since I am back at work I haven't had a problem....I work M-F and have weekends off....what is your pre op diet, I am to have one "normal/low fat" meal a day and Protein Shakes for the other two meals and Snacks, but I know all doctors are different. Good Luck!

Hi Cindy,

I also started my pre-op diet 01/19 and am scheduled to be banded 02/02/07. My diet is that same as yours and I am having problems not snacking. I'm a little concerned about the post-op liquid diet. Have you felt hungry while on this diet, what Protein Shakes are you using? Good luck to you!!! :)

Dori,

Jeez, have I felt hungry, that is a big 10-4.....but I am trying to fight it.

The doctor also said I could supplement my hunger if it got really bad with very lean, sliced turkey and/or string cheese, because they both have alot of protein....and I can't wait to go home and snack on some!

The shakes I am using are Slim Fast, but it must be the Low Carb kind, they have the lowest amount of sugar and the highest amount of Protein (19-20 grams, I think). I also like the Carb Solutions shakes, they have even fewer calories than Slim Fast and 21 grams of Protein.< /p>

Hang in there and keep in touch, I need all the Band buddies I can get!!!

Cindy,

Thanks for the information on the shakes. I am also trying the slim fast shakes, and also the EAS chocolate one is pretty good. When I do cheat I try to only eat meats so I stick to the Proteins, but at night I swear the sweats in the pantry call my name!!!:hungry: I will keep in touch, I need all the support I can get...:clap2:

dont listen to your head hunger and you will be ok .. look at the outcome and you will be happy :) congrats for your desision and good luck in your journey .

i was on Optifast shakes and Clear Liquids otherwise for 2 weeks. was advised a serving of almonds once a day if it gets bad well it got bad and the almonds helped a serving isnt much but it helped. well it got really bad nutritionists say eat grilled chicken 3 oz serving or light string cheese and make sure your drinking alot of Water good luck i lost 22 lbs in 2 weeks pre op

Dori,

Ohmigosh....ya gotta clean out that pantry....I did yesterday and thank goodness or I would've been chowing down after I got home from work today. Also, they said I could have sugar free Jello to (maybe) help with the sweet tooth. I am finding that some of my "hunger" is just a habit, like this evening I was home alone and if that junk food had still been in the pantry I would've chowed down out of boredom....HANG IN THERE, we can do it!!!

I started my "liquid" pre-op diet on Wed. Jan. 17 and am to be banded Jan. 31. My options are protien/glucose control drinks (boost, etc.), broth, diet drinks, Water (can be flavored like Propel), sugar free Jello, pudding and popsicles, and lowfat yogurt. The choices don't seem bad but I felt so bad the first few days I didn't want to eat. Sugar withdrawal? Then the choices were so unappealing that I would rather not eat at all. Some problems with drinks causing...well...diarrhea...so added to disinterest in drinking them.

Today I forced down 2 Boosts, a pudding, a broth and water. Maybe 600 calories. I would rather go to bed than eat this stuff. I have dropped a dozen pounds quickly but between this drastic diet change and the concerns I have over not freaking out over this choice I am making my moods are being effected.

I will make it. I have past the birthday party, graduation party and buffet meal with a group of friends with only a jello and a pudding, so I know I can do this but I cannot believe that for weeks after banding it will be even more of less of this!

Is there anyone else out there who went through this. I am not a moody person, pretty much the same day in and out and usually laughing too much! It has even made me not want food!!! I have developed quite a swing this week!

I just joined the forum today. I am up here in Gainesville! I'm scheduled to have my lap band on 2/5/07 at No. Fl Regional Hosp by Dr. Timothy Hipp. It sounds like you are doing very well. I so enjoy reading all these threads. They are encouraging and I think I will need a lot of encouragement. I plan on going to all the support group meetings that are offered. It is nice talking to you.

Beckymit

I am also finding this 2 week liquid diet so hard!!! And what's worse..my husband would kill me if I even tried to cheat. I'm mad, I'm grumpy and this face hasn't smiled at all since!! I'm not hungry, I'm not full, but I just want food. I know it's just boredom, but I still want it. I can't stop thinking about it. I keep having the urges to call the doctor and postponing just one more week. I wish I could have had a week of all my favorite meals. I went to my consult on the 17th..he put me on Optifast starting that afternoon. I know one last meal wouldn't have made me THAT happy, but I really wish I would have had it. I know I don't need it..I've enjoyed food for way too long and it's time to change. My mind thinks differently of course. I'm hoping this withdrawl and mourning stage will end soon. I feel like everyday I go back and forth ..should I or shouldn't I have this surgery? I even cried today while I was heating my broth and cooking the rest of the family a yummy dinner. And talk about creative?? I always hated cooking!! NOW I'm making up the yummiest recipes and everyone is loving me! UGHHHH Things just seem really boring now..no meals to look forward to, nothing to snack on at night..I've got to find something to fill my time I guess. I refuse to let ME talk ME out of having this surgery. I need the help!! The best thing for me is to look at the before and after pics when I feel like I'm starving to death. It helps sooo much! It's just really tough going through with a liquid diet for 2 weeks when I've never done it before. I will do it...I'll just be a little crazy while I'm doing it. teehee!!

Sorry for the whine.

All you can do is your best. Remember nobody is perfect. I too, had the pre-op diet for 2 weeks before surgery. Surprisingly, I was able to stick to it. Alot of people don't have to do a pre-op diet. Different doctors, different opinions. I still experience the head hunger and often am not able to control myself from overeating. The head hunger is the worst. Again, all we can do is our best. "Good Luck Everyone"

I'M ALOTTED 5 CARNATION INSTANT Breakfast A DAY (SUGAR FREE) AND 2-3 VEGGIES 64OZ Clear Liquids (NO CAFFEINE, CARBONATION,CALORIES). I FIND THAT I'M BINGING AT TIMES AT NIGHT ON STUFF I SHOULDNT HAVE..I'M SO ASHAMED BUT I KNOW YOU GUYS WONT PASS JUDGEMENT. I'M VERY STRESSED AND SCARED THIS WILL AFFECT THE SURGERY BUT I SWEAR I TURN INTO A MADWOMAN AT 6 0CLOCK AFTER DOING WELL ALL DAY! MY HUSBAND TRIES TO HELP BUT IF I SNEAK SOME CHIPS..HE CANT HELP IF HE DOESNT KNOW. :cry MY PRE OP IS TOMORROW, AND I WILL TALK TO THE MD. BUT I'M SCARED NOW HE WILL DELAY THE SURGERY...:help:

JVONHANDORF....Don't worry. I still sneak things I shouldn't have. I have the problems at night also. He definately won't delay your surgery for a few goofs. We all have them even after surgery. GOOD LUCK TOMORROW.

I am being banded on 2/3 in Mexico and I thought I was suppose to do the preop diet for one week but just realized it is 2 weeks and I haven't been following it!!!!!!! Does anyone know if 4 days is just going to totally screw it all up??