Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am curious how long after surgery your big incision hurt? I have 5 incisions, 4 are tiny (1/4") 1 is larger (started around 1.5") obviously I know the larger one was a little more traumatized from stomach removal etc... But two of my tiny incisions were healed in days, the other 2 maybe 1-2 weeks and the big one is slowly healing and about half its size, it is not infected and looks like a normal healing incision. Anyway immediately post op the whole area was numb, after a couple weeks the feeling started coming back and at times that incision would be painful (if bumped or twisting etc...) I am now 4 weeks 5 days and it is still tender at times (not always) this seem like the norm? I figured I could call Monday and just let them know but I am curious how others have done.

My surgery was through the single incision through the belly button (not hidden like they advertised) and weeped for about 6 weeks from the base of my belly button. The cut measures an inch below and another 1.5 inches above. The total length is about 4 inches because of the way the cut dips into my belly button.

I am not complaining about the incision, I am glad I agreed to the single incision (just didn't realized I was the first the surgeon tried this on and the line is not exactly straight.

Anyway, the answer to you concern, yes I had a long healing but now at 16 weeks post op the incision is healed and smaller than right after the surgery.

I am also wondering this same thing. My surgery date was Aug. 26th. At first I thought mine was infected because it still hurt, was really red, and had what looked like puss showing up around the edges of the scab. When the scab came off the "puss" was actually this rubbery glue. It is so grose. It is still sore. I have to keep it covered with a very large band-aid to prevent my pants from hurting it further. When I am walking I tend to have to hold my belly in that location because of the movement makes it hurt too.

Mine were pretty much healed in a week. Even my large incision wasn't all that big. Did you have the stitches or staples?

My large incision hurt like crazy for three weeks- felt like a knife in my side- but by week four, it was much better and I was just feeling twinges of pain every now and then. When I went to my one-month post-op visit, my surgeon told me that it was completely healed and what I was feeling was the nerves on the inside repairing themselves. I had the same thing when I had by gallbladder out- my main incision hurt really bad for about two weeks, but it still hurts every now and then now at six weeks, and there are certain types of sit-ups that still bother me. Again I was told this was normal, and that it is healed as far as the abdominal muscle is concerned, but the nerves on the inside can sometimes take a few months to heal completely.

I am curious how long after surgery your big incision hurt? I have 5 incisions' date=' 4 are tiny (1/4") 1 is larger (started around 1.5") obviously I know the larger one was a little more traumatized from stomach removal etc... But two of my tiny incisions were healed in days, the other 2 maybe 1-2 weeks and the big one is slowly healing and about half its size, it is not infected and looks like a normal healing incision. Anyway immediately post op the whole area was numb, after a couple weeks the feeling started coming back and at times that incision would be painful (if bumped or twisting etc...) I am now 4 weeks 5 days and it is still tender at times (not always) this seem like the norm? I figured I could call Monday and just let them know but I am curious how others have done.[/quote']

I believe it is normal... I'm having the same feeling. It makes sleeping difficult... I have the numbness as well... I started sleeping with a pillow pressed to that side and it has helped... I've read from a few people on here that the soreness often takes the full six weeks to disappear...

Mine were pretty much healed in a week. Even my large incision wasn't all that big. Did you have the stitches or staples?

The clear glue.

My surgery was done on October 3rd and I was going along without much pain until 4 days after my surgery. That is when I felt like a hot knife was stuck into the muscle under my large incision (when I used that ab muscle). It is a little better but I can't pick up anything low down or put on my own shoes. Pressure on the area as I bend or twist helps somewhat but sleeping is difficult as you use those muscles to turn over. Something I can live with for a couple of weeks. :wacko: Hopefully it will be gone by then. Great to have this group and to know that all these things are normal for some.

Pink :rolleyes: :wub:

My surgery was done on October 3rd and I was going along without much pain until 4 days after my surgery. That is when I felt like a hot knife was stuck into the muscle under my large incision (when I used that ab muscle). It is a little better but I can't pick up anything low down or put on my own shoes. Pressure on the area as I bend or twist helps somewhat but sleeping is difficult as you use those muscles to turn over. Something I can live with for a couple of weeks. :wacko: Hopefully it will be gone by then. Great to have this group and to know that all these things are normal for some.

Pink :rolleyes: :wub:

Don't lift or push anything over 10 lbs until your 1 month appt because a hernia msy occur very easily.

This is exactly what I am going through at almost 3 weeks post op. It fell like a knife in my ribs and it radiates into my back. Glad I'm not the only one. Heal fast guys!!!