Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will The Sleeve Help Us Keep It Off?

Do you really think the sleeve will help us keep it off? I mean, it's still such a relatively new procedure without much data to fall back on. I have read about people gaining the weight back but then I do understand that earlier procedures left the stomach much bigger and that could account for some people's regain. I KNOW that I can lose weight, I've done it enough times. I lost 126lb last year - but I never keep it off. Will the sleeve help us to do that? Lx

The sleeve helps us lose, but we have to be mindful of sliders and nutritionally void foods.

It is possible to gain back with any bariatric surgery. But just like losing takes work, so does gaining it back.

Complacency is not something that we can really afford.

I'm relatively new in the process, as I was sleeved on August 5th. I think this is the ultimate tool for weight loss, but I can't say that it is a "cure all." At the end of the day, successful weight loss and (more importantly) maintenance is all on the individual. As poster above me stated, you can lose all the weight, but if you get into bad habits (constant grazing; terrible food/drink decisions, etc.), you will gain it back.

The sleeve is an outstanding tool, but like any other tool, you have to use it correctly for it to work. You can have all the tools in the world, but those tools won't build a house by themselves. I guess what I'm trying to say is that ultimate success or failure does not lie w/ the sleeve, it lies with you.

It's very important to remember that the sleeve is only an aide to help us loose weight...we also need to retrain our minds of what to eat along with adopting a exercise routine to help us achieve our ultimate goal of being healthy.

If you continue your healthy living, you'll be able to keep off the weight.

I think it can help. I think we have to do the work, but the sleeve makes it much easier. Having said that - I think we can all gain significant weight even with the sleeve if we make bad choices. It's up to us to take advantage of the benefits of being sleeved.

To all the answers above: AMEN!

Thanks everyone for your replies. My only doubt really is self-doubt. I haven't managed to maintain my weight with diet and exercise in the past; hence looking for help from a sleeve. If diet and exercise are key, aren't I just doomed to put it all back on again? Feeling despondent today but off to see the Surgeon's Psych lady soon so maybe that'll help. Lx

I agree with everyone. I also understand your trepidation. Having been sleeved for almost two years I am proud to day I have not gained any of the weight back. I believe the sleeve was the tool that helped me maintain my surgery weight loss of 75 pounds. The sleeve gives me restriction and a reminder not to eat too much. My portion sizes at one time are a bit larger than at the beginning, but still smaller than pre-surgery and still smaller than most everyone in my family. I think the smaller stomach is always there to remind me of the journey. It's there to remind me to stay in control. Having said that. In almost two years, I've not reached my goal weight and am still trying to lose more weight. The surgery doesn't change our brains (wish it did). We must still be mindful of what we eat, when we eat, how often etc. Our bodies still have the ability to gain weight. We are in control. binge eating, grazing, too many bad carbs (in my case), sweets etc not controlled will cause us to gain weight. I think, like the others have said. the sleeve is the tool that should help you in your desire to get to and maintain a healthy weight as long as you add it to a true desire, plan and implement a healthy way of eating. Good Luck!!

Being sleeved isn't easy, despite that being the view of some outsiders. It is life changing and is a great starting point for supporting new behaviours and attitudes.

At only 5 months out, who knows what I will be saying a year out? But so far, I have worked hard to get here - harder than losing weight any other way - and been through so much that I don't want to do anything that jeopardises my new life, which is beyond anything I could have imagined.

So every day, I stick to the plan, I reinforce the good habits the sleeve has encouraged me to adopt. Have had a couple of tough things happen in the last week but I didn't reach for food- that is a first. And its because I now have something to lose - the new me, who's healthy, slim and happy.

Like most things in life, it is what you make it. The only person who can blow this now is me. I feel I have been given a last chance and so its up to me to rise to that challenge. I didn't feel like this pre-sleeve (felt pretty hopeless) as I couldn't really envisage what life could be like, especially as a serial dieter - but it just keeps getting better, lol ! Good luck, hope you get the information and support you need to make a decision.

Thanks for all your replies guys. They have made me feel a lot more positive and I had a lovely long chat with the Psych lady today who was really helpful. Day two of cottage cheese diet almost completed :-) 12 days til operation!

Read "The Sleeved Life". It's a great book. I think whether you keep it off depends on the amount of work you do to take it off and keep it off after you're sleeved. You'll hear a million times that it's a tool. It's up to a person who has it in how you use it. That's the same with RNY as well.