Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Encouraging NSV: What's a "normal" portion size?

We have a friend visiting and he's very intrigued by our tiny portion sizes. He just can't get over it.

Unfortunately the poor man is also probably starving.

We think we're making him a huge portion--and compared to our food we are--but I suspect it is not nearly enough. After lunch yesterday, I offered to make him a Peanut Butter sandwich, and he didn't say no.

Oops.

Funny how quickly we forget what a normal portion size looks like. I mean, we've all eaten normal-to-large portion sizes all our lives! I'm very encouraged to see that even as early as 7 weeks post-op, we're now clueless as to what a normal portion size for an unsleeved person looks like. I can however, cast a critical eye over my husband's plate and know that he's put more than 4 oz on his plate, that he won't finish it, that he will be uncomfortable afterwards and will complain :) My own two ounce portion is getting equally easy to judge.

For all those wondering if you'll be able to reduce your eating, I hope this is encouraging to see how quickly our bodies, minds, and eyes adapt to our new reality. Our new reality now is what our sleeve holds. I still measure and weigh every meal, but I'm learning fast.

Love my sleeve. <3

Yep, I had a friend visit who has always been thin. We were eating and I was noticing that the amount of food on his plate looked absurd. I was thinking "wow, he must be extremely hungry, look at all that food!" In reality, it was probably less than I would have historically eaten in one meal. Certainly nothing that a "normal" person couldn't handle.

What used to appear as a perfectly normal plate of food now looks like the giant buffet from stomach-pain hell. Amazing how our minds adapt and change.

I know! Yesterday I had lunch with a co-worker who is maybe 170 or so. But for lunch she had a cup of chicken salad with 10 saltines, a hard boiled egg and a whole orange. While I enjoyed my grilled chicken strip that I made and a quarter cup of diced carrots and peas. It was an eye opener. before I would of had what she had, probably plus more!

The other night I ate 2 ounces of salmon and 1/8 cup of black Beans (got full before eating the entire 1/4 cup I served myself). Couldn't even touch the steamed veggies. My 5 year old ate more than double that in salmon, about 3/4 cup of black beans and for sure more than a cup of veggies! And she ate with gusto. I looked around at my whole family and their plates looked positively laden with food. I'm sure they weren't really but compared to my ramekin, it just seemed that way! Yesterday at the kids' pep rally two friends ate the hot dog meal plus a slice of pizza and a bag of popcorn. I ate 1/2 cup of cottage cheese (that I brought along) and a1 oz. bag of Protein chips. I know a couple of months ago I could have easily joined my friends in eating all the junk they did but last night the idea of that just felt ridiculous to me. I feel like my mind and stomach have been recalibrated..

I continue to be amazed at how little we need to eat to survive. How are we not completely malnourished?!

We have a friend visiting and he's very intrigued by our tiny portion sizes. He just can't get over it.

Unfortunately the poor man is also probably starving.

We think we're making him a huge portion--and compared to our food we are--but I suspect it is not nearly enough. After lunch yesterday' date=' I offered to make him a Peanut Butter sandwich, and he didn't say no.

Oops.

Funny how quickly we forget what a normal portion size looks like. I mean, we've all eaten normal-to-large portion sizes all our lives! I'm very encouraged to see that even as early as 7 weeks post-op, we're now clueless as to what a normal portion size for an unsleeved person looks like. I can however, cast a critical eye over my husband's plate and know that he's put more than 4 oz on his plate, that he won't finish it, that he will be uncomfortable afterwards and will complain :) My own two ounce portion is getting equally easy to judge.

For all those wondering if you'll be able to reduce your eating, I hope this is encouraging to see how quickly our bodies, minds, and eyes adapt to our new reality. Our new reality now is what our sleeve holds. I still measure and weigh every meal, but I'm learning fast.

Love my sleeve. <3[/quote']

Exactly why I know the sleeve is going to work for me!

This is all SO true!!! I am on soft foods now... And went to a baby shower last eve... They had chicken chili... Avacado...cheese ...olives bread butter ...wine etc... I LOVE chicken chili... Usually I would have scarfed down a big ol bowl and pondered if I had enough cals for the day for more... I asked my coworker hosting it if I could use a coffee cup to better gauge portion... They all know I had surgery and are totally supportive!! I couldn't even FINISH my lil' portion.. Had one olive skin removed.. 2 lil bites of cheese and avacado.. And a tiny peice the crusty part of the baked French bread and was stuffed. I didn't find myself thinking more about the food because i couldn't even finish my little bit! They giggled when I pulled out my baby spoon to eat too ;) yes... There are challenges... But in so many ways.. I think this tool is going to make life better. No more obsessing over food like I used to. Still enjoy things but in such moderation it's great! I bought myself tiny spice bowls and some fruit bowls to help my eyes adjust. And that small coffee cup was maybe 1/4 to 1/3 full and that mostly the broth... Soooo wierd! But awesome!

I continue to be amazed at how little we need to eat to survive. How are we not completely malnourished?!

Me too! I've only been on soft foods for 3 days now, but I don't feel awful- in fact I feel really decent. I am a little curious as to how my entire life people have been onto me when I was on my 800 calorie diets, but now it's totally acceptable to have even less than that. I don't quite know where the cut off is between acceptable and starving.

I think it just proves how excessive the American diet has become. I was talking to my Nut and she and I were talking about portion sizes. The average meal is something like 40% larger than it was 40 years ago. 40 bleeping %!!!

No wonder obesity is on the rise!! I hope we can save our children from this horrible path we gave been on and get it corrected!!!

Thanksgiving is going to be REALLY interesting this year!

No doubt! I'm getting sleeved on Halloween and will be on soft foods for Thanksgiving and it's going to be so much different than any other Thanksgiving dinner I've ever had!

I know! Yesterday I had lunch with a co-worker who is maybe 170 or so. But for lunch she had a cup of chicken salad with 10 saltines, a hard boiled egg and a whole orange. While I enjoyed my grilled chicken strip that I made and a quarter cup of diced carrots and peas. It was an eye opener. before I would of had what she had, probably plus more!

Gotta love the STRIP, singular! :)

This is all SO true!!! I am on soft foods now... And went to a baby shower last eve... They had chicken chili... Avacado...cheese ...olives bread butter ...wine etc... I LOVE chicken chili... Usually I would have scarfed down a big ol bowl and pondered if I had enough cals for the day for more... I asked my coworker hosting it if I could use a coffee cup to better gauge portion... They all know I had surgery and are totally supportive!! I couldn't even FINISH my lil' portion.. Had one olive skin removed.. 2 lil bites of cheese and avacado.. And a tiny peice the crusty part of the baked French bread and was stuffed. I didn't find myself thinking more about the food because i couldn't even finish my little bit! They giggled when I pulled out my baby spoon to eat too ;) yes... There are challenges... But in so many ways.. I think this tool is going to make life better. No more obsessing over food like I used to. Still enjoy things but in such moderation it's great! I bought myself tiny spice bowls and some fruit bowls to help my eyes adjust. And that small coffee cup was maybe 1/4 to 1/3 full and that mostly the broth... Soooo wierd! But awesome!

LOVE this!!!! Isn't that why some of us

Tried all the diet pills? To curb our hunger!! Without that awful bear in my stomach I for see it being a lot easier to deal with my food obsession.

Thanksgiving is going to be REALLY interesting this year!

I am not a fan of turkey but sweet potatoes and green bean casserole is my weakness. I will say that having a piece of my mothers pumpkin pie is going to be on my plate. Even if its just a bite!!!

I am not a fan of turkey but sweet potatoes and green bean casserole is my weakness. I will say that having a piece of my mothers pumpkin pie is going to be on my plate. Even if its just a bite!!!

I don't care for really any of the thanksgiving food except the pie so I might have a few bites of that and call it a day too.