Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

50lbs in 6 months.

My doctor wants me to lose 50lbs in 6 months. I've lost 20lbs since July 16th. If I don't quite lose 50lbs will they say that's not enough? I've been thinking about that a lot lately. I'm not having surgery until Jan or Feb of 2014.

doctor wants me to lose 50lbs in 6 months.

Markyjr

50 lbs does sound like alot :wacko: , but if thats what the doc wants..........

20 lbs down :)

woo hoo!!!!

30 lbs to go

you are almost 1/2 way there!!! :)

i know you will do your best!!!! :)

docs want people to lose weight before WLS - it helps shrink your liver

doc wants to see that you are sticking to a program - and you are working very hard to lose weight

then he will see that you really want the WLS, and you will be successful with your journey

i have confidence in you that you will lose 30 more lbs :)

but - IF you can't lose all the necessary weight, but come close, probably/hopefully there won't be a problem

i can see B) the determination in your pretty eyes ;)

do the best you can/and thhen some!!!

good luck

kathy

My surgeon was quite adamant on meeting his goals. Paperwork not submitted until goal met. There was a girl who had RnY 2 months before me who had to loose 50 too. It seems like an overwhelming number but you are already 40% of your way done! You will be fine just hold strong.

I had to lose 60 lbs before my surgeon would schedule me for surgery, and then another 15 lbs before he would perform the surgery. For a total of 75 lbs. I was about in tears when he told me that. I thought that the mountain was WAY to high for me to climb, and it would take me forever to lose 75 lbs. I met with my nutritionist that same day and she put me on a low carb, high Protein, 1,000 calorie a day diet. I still felt hopeless. That was Nov.8, 2012. I had surgery on April 8, 2013. I lost close to 75 lbs in 5 months. I lost more before surgery, than I have since having surgery. It's very doable! He did explain to me why I had to lose that much weight before surgery and like proudgrammy said one main reason was to shrink my liver. Part of your liver lies on top of our stomachs and they have to lift it to get to your stomach. My surgeon actually commented on how nice my liver looked! lol. I was like "OK". How do you respond to "you have a really nice looking liver"?

For those who had to lose weight before surgery..is it because your surgeon had a weight limit before he would operate? If so, did either mention what the threshold was before they would do surgery? Just curious. I thought for sure at my weight my surgeon would require me to lose a bit of weight before surgery, but he said I'm fine.. no need other than my 1 week pre-op diet.

For those who had to lose weight before surgery..is it because your surgeon had a weight limit before he would operate? If so' date=' did either mention what the threshold was before they would do surgery? Just curious. I thought for sure at my weight my surgeon would require me to lose a bit of weight before surgery, but he said I'm fine.. no need other than my 1 week pre-op diet.[/quote']

My surgeon didn't specify his reasoning. I had to lose 5# and I know another girl who had to lose 50#. She was heavier than me so my guess was he wanted us around 50 BMI because I was right over that to start.