Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

I have a very delicate question to ask and I will try to ask it very politely. I am in the first stage of my WLS journey. I was told by a person that has undergone the RnY procedure that I should not do the sleeve because her friend and co-worker had the procedure and is ill most of the time and has a horrible smell when she goes to bathroom at work and she hates that she had the sleeve done. I want to know if this something experienced by others or is this her situation. I just want know if stomach issues are a frequent problem. She told also told that the RnY is basicly problem free for her and most people this is what her surgeon told her, that it is common with the sleeve. Confused*@X! .

The lady made it seem like her friend and doctor has given the credit to the sleeve.

I have never heard this mentioned anywhere even the 'good, bad and ugly". Thanks for responding to this thread.

Ummm... Do you mean going to the bathroom as in a bowel movement? I would think the exact opposite is true.. It is more likely that you will have digestive problems with the bypass, like dumping and such.

I've been sleeved since 5/14/13 and have'nt had an bathroom issues, not sure what they are talking about. Just got the results back from my blood work and everything is great. In fact I have more energy now than I did before.

I was told this by someone with a RnY. Her friend/co-worker had the sleeve and is suffering with going potty.

I am guessing that this must be associated with her friend and not a common issue.

I'm almost a year out and I can tell you my bowels are functioning better then ever. Before surger I had the diarrhea 3 to 7 times a day. Now I don't. It's great!

I was told this by someone with a RnY. Her friend/co-worker had the sleeve and is suffering with going potty.

I have not any problems like you describe. The only problems I have heard like that are people who are not following what their NUT told them to do. Like eating sugary products, eating too many carbs, etc. The sleeve is the least evasive of all of the WLS procedures. It has the least amount of risks and side effects too! Yes, I love my sleeve! :-)

I've not heard a singe person mention this that I know that had the sleeve done. I am barely 12 days out and have no issues, quite the opposite. That lady may have crohn's or something else going on; she should have that checked out! More jealous sleeve haters, I think! I have a friend that had the bypass done, and I sat there at Jamba juice and watched her eat an entire soft pretzel and small smoothie... can you say streeeeeetch? ;)

Oh, and my pretzel eating friend also told me NOT to get the sleeve done because there were too many probs, but according to my surgeon, it depends on "who" does the surgery! An inexperienced surgeon may have a history of problems, not necessariy a "general" sleeve problem. Just sayin'.

If she was burning fat and eating extremely low carb, the smell could be associated with ketosis.

Bypass has the foul smells not sleeve. Many people with gastric bypass surgery claim that the gas not only builds up, but that it slips out of the body without control. This type of reaction may be embarrassing but it is a lot better than pain that distention can cause from built up gas. Gastric bypass surgery does two things. It makes the stomach smaller, frequently the size of a walnut, and it removes a portion of the intestines so that the food goes through undigested. REALLY ROTTEN If the quality of air around you would not pass the clean air test, it may be for several reasons. The first is the missing intestines. Gastric bypass surgery may push food through the intestines without digesting it. This is because the surgery removed a portion of intestine. This is a part of the digestive system also. The food then moves on not digested and begins to decompose in the lower intestine. Decomposition causes gas to form. Gas forms and has to go somewhere.

I have had no problems in that regard . I have heard that dumping is much common with roux n. Y than with a sleeve. My surgeon does both procedures and in explaining diffrences he never mentioned what your friend said

No smelly problem here. And honestly, my mother had RNY and she throws up alot in my opinion. I have not once thrown up or felt sick to my stomach. I am glad I chose the sleeve. I wish my mom did too.

ya know, sometimes **** just stinks even without surgery....and invariably it is never one's own that is doing the stinking. (not to be indelicate - just real.)