Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery today - possible to "spot target" gas pain?

Hi Everyone -

I was banded today and feel pretty good!

Other than kind of of feeling like I got kicked in the stomach, my most obvious pain is gas (I think) under my left breast. I have been walking - just got back from a walk around the block - and have taken Gas X. It really hurts when I am laying down.

Does anyone now if there is way to spot target this gas pain?

:help:

Thanks!

WOW!!!! congratulations!!! You sound like you are doing awesome--take it easy tho, and don't over do. I was one of the lucky ones with very little gas pain. It sounds like you are already doing all the things I have seen recommended, Gas X and walk, walk, walk.

Lie back, rest a bit, and keep in touch!

WELCOME to bandland!!!

Kat

Thanks for the advice and kinds words.

The pain under my left breast is not as sharp this morning. I will try the butt in the air thing for sure!!!

Kathy,

Hope you're feeling a lot better soon. the first 2 days after surgery were the hardest (for me)--i was banded Monday and i feel a WHOLE LOT BETTER NOW! so keep going--it GETS BETTER!!

best wishes,

girlin

nyc

Thanks - it is day 3 post op and I am feeling a lot better. That sharp pain is back but I am hoping it will go away. I am glad I don't have to be at work until Thursday!

I had a lot of gas pressure but it didn't seem to stem from my bowels, but the nurses after surgery told me that air gets into the abdomen cavity (to make room for their tools and such) so it takes a few days to get out. It was the worst the day of surgery, but I think after a few days it tends to go away. Good luck and congrats!

I am 3 weeks and 4 days past surgery and started trying a couple of solid foods with my mushies and liquids. Nothing terribly dreadful but more than I should have. Some raw veg (carrot, Tomato, cole slaw) and some cooked. Some boiled chicken. It probably wasn't a great idea as I have a little pain and pressure in my left side low. I didn't even know my stomach was over there. So.... I am putting myself back on liquids for a while. It may be gas. When I had gas, though it was higher.

Has this happened to anyone? Should I be worried? I see the doctor tomorrow.

Hi Everyone -

I was banded today and feel pretty good!

Other than kind of of feeling like I got kicked in the stomach, my most obvious pain is gas (I think) under my left breast. I have been walking - just got back from a walk around the block - and have taken Gas X. It really hurts when I am laying down.

Does anyone now if there is way to spot target this gas pain?

:help:

Thanks!

Hi Kathy,

The pain under your left breast area sounds exactly like what I experienced after my surgery. An ice pack and the pain RX helped. My nurse explained to me that that is the area where the surgeon has to do the "most work". Most people, including me, did not realize that the majority of the top part of the stomach is up under the ribs on the left side. When they go in and retract the liver, the stomach is actually pulled down and towards the right hip in order for the band to be placed correctly and then portions of the stomach tissue are stiched up around the band to help hold it in place. I hope this is not too graphic, but the explanation and understanding what went on inside of me helped me to deal with the pain.

Wow - that explains a lot. I still have the sharp pain there and hoping it will stop soon. It has been the hardest part of my recovery. Well that and I have been HUNGRY last night and tonight. This darn liquid stage is kicking my a$$. :-)

Thanks Kathy for the info. I am glad to see you are doing so well with your band!