Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I PBing too much?

I seem to be Productive Burping after the first couple of bites of food at every meal. Is this normal?

I had my 2nd fill on 11/20/06 and this issue didn't start until 2 weeks ago.

Can PBing cause the band to slip??

As far as I can say "once is to much". For me it only happens when I do not chew my food very well or it is dry. If I eat soft food (scram-egg) I do not think about chew, chew, chew. Dry chicken will kill me.

Solution: Chew, let the saliva mix and savor the taste, chew some more then on to the gut. If I follow the directions the only thing that suffers is that my food gets cold. Small price to pay for no PB

I thought burping is a good thing because it relieves pressure in your tummy? Not banded yet, but been reading alot. At least now I know what PBing is...LOL

I noticed that it takes a little while for a fill to fully take affect. A co-worker also said the same thing. It can even take up to 3-4 wks. NOBODY who has the lap band should be pbing that much. Sounds like you need some Fluid taken out.

Couldnt have worded it any better.......

As far as I can say "once is to much". For me it only happens when I do not chew my food very well or it is dry. If I eat soft food (scram-egg) I do not think about chew, chew, chew. Dry chicken will kill me.

Solution: Chew, let the saliva mix and savor the taste, chew some more then on to the gut. If I follow the directions the only thing that suffers is that my food gets cold. Small price to pay for no PB

I think any regular degree of PBing is too much. I just had my first experience of it in 13 months of being banded - on crumbed lamb cutlets, the very first bite of my dinner, in public with friends, urgh. There is no way on earth I would tolerate that on a weekly or daily basis, let alone each meal. To me it would mean I would be too tight and I would be having Fluid out.

My doc does believe it can cause slippage if it happens too often and too violently.

Definitely too much. Consider your fill level, and consider your eating habits. One of the two is the most likely suspect.

Thanks for the info about chewing too fast or dry meats causing produtive burping (PB). I've had my band since 11/28/07 and 2 fills. No problems at all. I just tried to eat left over chopped sirloin that was on the dry. After 4 bites, chewed well, I was extremely uncomfortable. I had both the chest pain from the meat not moving through, then about 30 -45 minutes of PB. I was worried the epidsode would never stop. About 15 minutes ago it finally stopped.

Any recommendations as to what to do from here? When is it okay to eat or drink again after a bout of PB? I was hungry at lunch and definitely not full after 4 bites, but scared to eat or drink anything now. I also don't want to do anything to further irritate my band. Any additional feedback would be helpful.

Most people on the forum have suggested having just liquids for the rest of the day. Small sips. If cold ones go down with difficulty, try warm ones. Then go slow tomorrow trying food.

I find the first several bites of a meal are the most important ones. Tiny bites well chew and go slow between the first few bites. It's like I have to tell my pouch food is coming and then it accepts food a little better.

Some women say they are tighter around their period and some people are tighter at different times of the day or after a high sodium meal, so you might want to see if any of those apply. Or did your last fill kick in late?

I'm menopausal, so no period, can't relate. I stay away from sodium at much as possible and I've never been tighter in the morning vs. night.

Maybe some thin Protein Drinks for the rest of the day?

Shortgal, thanks for the sound suggestions. That's fascinating out the influence of sodium, periods, and times of day. I doubt it was sodium. I had my usual scrambled egg beaters and grits for Breakfast and that was all until the few bites of the dry chopped sirloin. In hindsight, I really think it was the dryness of the food. On the other hand, I had my 2nd fill a week and half ago, so it guess it could also be restriction from that kicking in late. Either way, I plan to go really pay attention to those the first bite or two, as you suggested, to see how my body is responding. I also plan to stay away from dry meat. It's just not worth the trouble.

Finding the happy medium of getting a restriction level that doesn't allow too much food in but being able to eat good healthy solid food can be tough. Sometimes adding a little Tomato sauce to ground beef can help. Sometimes you just need to lose a little more weight and the band loosens a little.

I find turkey meatloaf goes down well and is healthy. The lean cuisine dinners with chicken usually have a little sauce or gravy that helps get them down and the portion and calories are controlled.

I can definitely tell the difference since my last fill. Before this fill, I could eat a whole apple, very slowly but it would go down. I just tried one again and I had to omit the skin and chewed even slower and had some burping and gurgling as it went down. I think I'm close to good restriction.

Just let your espohagus rest a little after a PB or stuck event.

Just noticed you were banded on my b'day and I was banded the day before you. We're both doing very well.

Yes, PB'ing at every meal is too much. I would seriously lose my will to live if it happened to me at every meal. Well, at least I would lose my will to eat. One of the dangers of being overfilled is PB'ing which then causes you to choose soft foods or liquids only - defeating the whole purpose of the band. You probably need an unfill. Eating with the band should not be torture. You should still be able to enjoy normal food.< /p>