Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's your favorite veggie and how do you prep it?

I love most veggies but have been on a Brussel sprout kick lately. I like to roast them in the oven with a drizzle of evoo salt and pepper and some balsamic vinegar.

What's your fav veggie and how do you prep it?

Your recipe sounds delish! I may just try that too!

I love all veggies but I think my favorites are broccoli & spinach. I just steam my broccoli in some lightly salted Water & then drain, place in a bowl & drizzle some EVOO on it. That's it & it's delish!

Spinach, I like to mince some garlic in EVOO in a pan & just heat it enough where the garlic scent releases & then quickly add spinach to it & sautee it till it wilts with just a sprinkle of salt & pepper. I love to serve that on top of a fried egg too, but also just have it as a side dish. OH! Also zucchini sliced long ways & marinated in Light Italian Dressing (any brand) & then grill! OMG, so delish! BTW, I'm not sleeved yet! Hope I can still eat all that stuff after!

Is squash a vegetable? I'm a huge fan. I don't cook, but my husband cuts up yellow squash (summer squash) and green squash (zucchini) into a bunch of little rounds-think checkers pieces. He puts it in evoo with onion and salt and pepper in a pan and cooks it covered on low for 20ish minutes until soft, stirring as needed. I love it. Not sure of the carb count in squash though? He cooks fresh green Beans in a similar manner.

Spaghetti squash is another favorite for me, but we pretty much solely use it as spaghetti noodles. Cut in half, take out the seeds and cook in the oven on 350 for an hour. When it comes out, scrape the guts with a fork lengthwise. He puts a little evoo and salt and pepper on it too. Then we add spaghetti sauce and ground turkey. Note- if anyone has any other ideas for ways to use spaghetti squash, I'd love to hear it.

I'm also not sure if mushrooms are considered vegetables, but I like portobello mushrooms topped with tiny shrimp and cheese.

Oh and we do the cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes too. I'm a southern girl and I love me some mashed potatoes. Never thought the cauliflower would measure up, but wow, it really does. Good, good stuff.

I love just plain old broccoli raw, with nothing on it. Boring...but that's the way I love to eat it. :)

Oh and we do the cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes too. I'm a southern girl and I love me some mashed potatoes. Never thought the cauliflower would measure up, but wow, it really does. Good, good stuff.

That sounds great! How do you prepare it?

Is squash a vegetable? I'm a huge fan. I don't cook, but my husband cuts up yellow squash (summer squash) and green squash (zucchini) into a bunch of little rounds-think checkers pieces. He puts it in evoo with onion and salt and pepper in a pan and cooks it covered on low for 20ish minutes until soft, stirring as needed. I love it. Not sure of the carb count in squash though? He cooks fresh green Beans in a similar manner.

Spaghetti squash is another favorite for me, but we pretty much solely use it as spaghetti noodles. Cut in half, take out the seeds and cook in the oven on 350 for an hour. When it comes out, scrape the guts with a fork lengthwise. He puts a little evoo and salt and pepper on it too. Then we add spaghetti sauce and ground turkey. Note- if anyone has any other ideas for ways to use spaghetti squash, I'd love to hear it.

I'm also not sure if mushrooms are considered vegetables, but I like portobello mushrooms topped with tiny shrimp and cheese.

Zucchini has 7 grams of carbs for a cup and only around 30 calories so I would say enjoy! Yellow squash is 4 carbs and 40 calories for a cup so another good choice! I like them on the grill. Yum, might need to make some soon

Your recipe sounds delish! I may just try that too!

I love all veggies but I think my favorites are broccoli & spinach. I just steam my broccoli in some lightly salted Water & then drain, place in a bowl & drizzle some EVOO on it. That's it & it's delish!

Spinach, I like to mince some garlic in EVOO in a pan & just heat it enough where the garlic scent releases & then quickly add spinach to it & sautee it till it wilts with just a sprinkle of salt & pepper. I love to serve that on top of a fried egg too, but also just have it as a side dish. OH! Also zucchini sliced long ways & marinated in Light Italian Dressing (any brand) & then grill! OMG, so delish! BTW, I'm not sleeved yet! Hope I can still eat all that stuff after!

Spinach and broccoli are my other favorites (and asparagus)! I make my broccoli and my spinach the same way or steam the broccoli in low sodium chicken stock if I have extra open but I use a steamer so the broccoli isn't sitting in the liquid but it gets a little flavor.

The Brussels sprouts come out tasty and the drizzle of balsamic sweetens them a little plus makes them a little tangy! Before I got surgery, I loved them cooked with shallots and bacon but knocked that recipe for the sake of good eating!

API

Zucchini has 7 grams of carbs for a cup and only around 30 calories so I would say enjoy! Yellow squash is 4 carbs and 40 calories for a cup so another good choice! I like them on the grill. Yum' date=' might need to make some soon[/quote']

Oh, how do you make them on the grill??

I am SO not a veggie lover. I wasn't before surgery and I'm not now... The one veggie I do like is canned green Beans. (Boring.) Grilled asparagus is good - drizzled with some oil and sea salt.

Oh I love my veggies. I eat whatever is in season. In addition, I like frozen whole green Beans and frozen roasted pepper strips.

Today, I used a mandoline slicer to cut a yellow crookneck sqaush, a japanese eggplant, and some maui onion. I sauteed them in a bit of olive oil, and added some chopped frozen roasted pepper and a few cherry tomatoes cut in half, and a basil cube (http://www.dorot.co.il/?CategoryID=27&ArticleID=36) right at the end. Yum!

Lynda

Steamed edamame, steamed snow peas, any kind of grilled squash (same prep as previous posting).

Awesome thread, by the way! :)

Mmmmmmmmm edamame! I put a ton of sea salt on it though.

I just lightly salt the Water that I use to steam it. I used to use the chunky sea salt on top, but am loving my ankles now and don't want to see them disappear in a cloud of edema lol!