Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today I graduate to soft foods. I'm happy but why am I so scared??? Maybe I should stay one more week on puréed? Today marks my second week and my doc said to move to soft foods. Why am I so scared?

You're one week 2 and starting soft foods? Wow...why is every doc so different? LOL I had to be on liquids for 2 weeks...then pureed for 2...then soft foods. So weird...

You're one week 2 and starting soft foods? Wow...why is every doc so different? LOL I had to be on liquids for 2 weeks...then pureed for 2...then soft foods. So weird...

I agree! There should be some kind of universal diet we should follow after surgery

I'm going to wait one more week. I can't even finish my purée foods. Maybe by next Monday ill be ready

Just take it slow and try the really soft stuff before you advance too much. When I started soft foods the 3rd week my tummy would make funny noises and I could feel it doing things. Now I don't feel any of that stuff.

While I'm in a similar boat as ladylaura, my NUT and doctor also told me to listen to my body...sounds like you're doing exactly that! If you're not ready, you're not ready. Caution is a great thing :)

I think it is normal to feel "scared" whenever you move to a new phase in your program...I am about 7 weeks out and finally tried red meat (a ground beef patty)--even then I was scared (all went well)...I just think that if you are doing well you don't want to risk anything that might set you back, so to speak...again, I think it is all normal, but this is a trial and error thing...and I have posted many times about how frustrating it is that there are such variances early on in the eating plans prescribed by the various surgeons and NUTS--you would think by now there would be some standard diet plan post-op

I was on soft foods after a week, I initially did okay with it but in retrospect I wish I waited another week. One thing I did that really helped me a lot was to take away the "protein pressure" I am about 11 weeks out and I very often will still have 2 Protein Shakes a day which equals 60grams of Protein and snack on yogurt, nuts, Peanut Butter, eggs or deli meat in between. This way I know I am getting the protein I need but I am not force feeding myself food. My understanding is that technically I should be getting my protein from food rather then supplements however my doctor is okay with it because I am doing so well and I am taking food. Just a thought for when you do start eating foods :)

Every person is different and how a doctor treats their surgery recovery should be different as well. We all heal differently so when we move throught the stages of food intake will be different.

I'm excited for everyone moving forward in their success of their surgeries.

Continued success everyone!

Karen

Just take things slow and remember that you may be able to eat more of some foods and less of others. I know at 5 1/2 weeks out eggs still sit heavy on my stomach while other foods, like turkey and cheese, don't seem to bother me as much. Everybody is different so give yourself time to eat a little bit and see how your body handles it before you eat much more. (((hugs)))

when I started the soft food stage, I would have my pureed food and a single bite of soft food, then the next day I did 2 bites. By day 4 or 5 I was only eating soft foods, and had no issues. I liked the comfort of the pureed foods, knowing I was getting what I needed, but the soft foods weren't going away and I had to make that change eventually. Doing it this way transitioned me, and gave me the security of my pureed foods too.

At my 2 week follow up with my NUT I transitioned to soft foods. I asked about having to puree them and she said that they used to do that first, but found that many patients didn't do it and just chewed to a liquid consistency and didn't have any problems so they just go straight to soft foods now.