Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Difficulty loosing weight???

I was banded at the end of October and had my first fill two weeks ago. I lost 10lbs on my pre-surgery diet and 3lbs since I was banded and that is it. It seems like I should be loosing more... I am eating so much less than before my surgery. Am I being impatient? liquid diet time?

Can you help out a fat girl who wants to loose weight??:help:

How much exercise are you getting? If you can combine a LOT of exercise (and exercise hard) with eating less you should see results.

You all are right..... I have been eating much less, but of the same foods. I guess I figured eating less would mean loosing weight. I go Saturday to join Curves and will begin NutriSystem also. That should produce results.... Thank you.

Bulldog....lol...I'm just one month ahead of you. I thought I could kinda do what I wanted and I would still lose because I was eating so much less. Worked for a while, then I stopped. Now (starting less than a month ago, about the same time from surgery as you) I do South Beach and work out intensely. All that "the band is just a tool" BS was all true (dammit).

Hehehe, just eating less has worked fine for me till now, but I did have a relatively good diet beforehand too, it was more volume than food choice that made me fat.

But now, yes, I do have to be "careful" to lose, however it seems to be that adopting a no junk, no eating between meals policy is careful enough. Again, its the humungous amounts of running I do that buy me that freedom.

However, it takes time to work up to that sort of level of exercise, so start out with what you can handle, but always aim to do the most you can and never ever miss an opportunity to be active. Everytime you sit down think "what else could I be doing". It does become habit after a while, I never thought I'd prefer cleaning to sitting on my ample bum on the couch, but I do now. I save my relaxing time for night after I've been for my run.

My doctor did mention to me that there may be a period of frustration during which adjusting the right amount of saline in the band may take time and weight loss may not be occurring as quickly as expected. I think discussions with your doctor and a little more patience may be the key. Also liquid diets may have helped you prior to surgery but since liquids pass through the band so much easier, it may not make you feel as full and you may not lose weight that way either.

I never lost weight with 'the band alone' even with calories under 1500 (i have one year of food diaries showing an average of 1200 calories a day)- now I exercise 3 hours a day 5 days a week and one hour on both Saturday and Sunday - I eat 1000 calories a day and am losing 1-2lbs a week. So for me exercise is the only thing that works in getting weight off. many times with the band I was so tight during the day i would only eat dinner and a Protein Shake and still never got a pound off - so, i agree with others - exercise and diet - just like before the band.

:help: I am still waiting insurance approval but I have been reading posts to prepare and make my final decision. Because our insurance is more weight loss friendly, at my job there are several dozen people who have had lap band and gastric done. All success as far as weight loss, so hearing the bad stuff is a wake up.

;) My fear is I have a difficult time with cardio due to a serious problem with my short achilles tendons. Thought process was the surgery would take some weight off them and help but, maybe not.

:hungry: Can someone please tell me some clear details of what to expect with hunger and cravings? Added to the exercise issue, I am afraid that I will never curb my sugar/ carb addiction without meds or something!

Maybe this surgery is a waste of time and money for me and the insurance company, along with all the other factors that go along with surgery.

:frusty: Trying not to get discouraged...anyone have some insight on people with disabilities and the lap band?

I also have a difficult time with exercise due to severe osteoarthritis in my knees and ankles, but I was banded a month ago and have lost 21 pounds since my surgery, along with 10 before the surgery on my low-carb pre-op diet. So, I think that is pretty good. I have just started trying to exercise--I joined Ladie's Workout Express-it;s a 30 minute cycle and pretty joint friendly for me. I am hoping it will help me lose even more--I know I will not continue at this pace if I don't add exercise. I am trying to watch what I do eat though--even if you are not eating a lot, you can still be eating the wrong thing. I have not experienced any dramatic hunger pains yet, but I can tell my band is getting looser. I am due for a fill in a couple weeks and am looking forward to that. All in all, I think it is definately worth it-especially if your insurance will cover you.

dont get discouraged!!...the band is a great tool for all!...but its just that.."a tool".....you still have to make it work!!......if its meant to be it will be!!....hang in there friend!!

There's so many options if you cant run or walk due to pain issues. I've had severe achilles tendons issues too but so far they're holding up to lots of running without the weight on me.

There's swimming, Water aerobics, circuit training, spin classes, elliptical machines or exercise bikes, etc. And you wont believe what a load it takes off your body when the weight is gone and how much more you'll be able to do as a result.

Did your doctor give you any guidelines about what to eat after the mushy stage?

If not, I have some info. from my doctor's office that I'm willing to share. We had to complete a long-term nutrition class before surgery, so I have all of this cool info. that I can't use yet because I'm still on liquids! :hurt