Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My friends and I are going to AC (beach, shows and maybe some gambling) for 4 days and thats the week I start my preop diet!!!! Any word of wisdom???

Well, wisdom for me would be to reschedule...I am certain that would have been too much for me. :-)

But, for me to give a constructive answer to your question, can you tell me what your pre-op plan is supposed to look like?

Stick to your pre op plan. It is so very important.

I agree with the previous answers. There will be an enormous amount of temptation not to follow doctor's orders. Personally, I wouldn't risk my success or even a delay for a single weekend. Even if you decide to go, I only see a couple possible outcomes:

1 - you follow your preop diet faithfully, despite being on a vacation, but part of you is miserable, because you can't fully participate in what your friends are eating and drinking and you're obsessing either about what you're supposed to be doing or what you can't be doing.

2 - you fail to follow the preop diet and risk having to reschedule the surgery and spend most of your time with the worry of what the result is going to be when you get back, and still don't have all the fun you would have otherwise had if you were unencumbered by the worry.

If you are really determined to go, you might consider rescheduling your surgery for a week or so, so you can start your preop diet after you get back.

Good luck!

You guys are so right!!!! Plan rescheduled! I guess now is not the time to test my willpower. Thanks for saving me from myself =)

Everyone always says that the surgery would be rescheduled but what about those of us who had no preop diet?... we all lived

Everyone always says that the surgery would be rescheduled but what about those of us who had no preop diet?... we all lived

Depends on the surgeon. Mine didn't require a preop diet for me, but he would have for someone older or with a higher BMI. Other surgeons don't want to sort through who does or doesn't need one, so they just make it a blanket rule and if they get in there and your liver is too big they just sew you back up and thank you for your check!

I know Amanda! I don't understand that either. But I would still follow my doctor's orders.

Depends on the surgeon. Mine didn't require a preop diet for me' date=' but he would have for someone older or with a higher BMI. Other surgeons don't want to sort through who does or doesn't need one, so they just make it a blanket rule and if they get in there and your liver is too big they just sew you back up and thank you for your check![/quote']

Mine doesnt for anyone...the whole staff of drs at this hospital doesnt...he actually told me a good dr can get around any size liver and at first I thought he was full of himself but eventually I read up on it and many other Drs feel this way. ..and I had a food funeral up until the day before surgery and mine went off without a hitch. Obviously follow your drs orders but not everyone has the same experiences.

You guys are so right!!!! Plan rescheduled! I guess now is not the time to test my willpower. Thanks for saving me from myself =)

Best of luck!

I plan on taking my high Protein Meal Replacements. I can have steamed or raw veggies (other than pot.' date=' corn&peas) handful of fruit but not dried. I can drink Water, caffeine free coffe/tea and low sodium chicken broth. No alcohol (but I dont drink anyway)[/quote']

...ok...the non-drinker part will help! assuming the friends you are going with a) know about your upcoming surgery and B) are supportive, I would enlist their help...tell them what your pre-op plan allows/requires and ask them to help keep you focused on success.

Yep yeah uh ha... So three scenarios here...

1. go and follow religiously your pre op diet

( the hardest choice)

2. Stay home and prepare for surgery.

3. Go and try not to cheat... But you might slip up because you are out having fun. And most likely will relax the normal rules in life.

Me??? I'd chose # 2

Because I know if I went even with the best intentions (#1) I'd end up being #3....

I'm all about risk management and compliance with doctor's orders. And you are absolutely right, not everyone is required to do a preop diet. My answers, when someone asks, are always going to lean toward the conservative or "safe and cautious" decision. I want everyone to have the best set up for success possible (in the world according to me, anyway...) :)

dd

Yep yeah uh ha... So three scenarios here...

1. go and follow religiously your pre op diet

( the hardest choice)

2. Stay home and prepare for surgery.

3. Go and try not to cheat... But you might slip up because you are out having fun. And most likely will relax the normal rules in life.

Me??? I'd chose # 2

Because I know if I went even with the best intentions (#1) I'd end up being #3....

I'm definitely a #3 too, so my only failsafe would be #2.