Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preventive measures: Angelina Jolie versus me

So we all heard, she removed her boobies (and planning on removing her ovaries) because she's high risk for breast and ovarian cancer. I think it's absolutely brilliant, my grandma and my mom both suffer from breast cancer, my grandma is doing well, my mom on the other hand not so much. The cancer has spread to her bones, she's constantly in pain, her bones always break doing simple things like tying her shoelaces. It's crazy, she's had radiation daily, chemo 2 or 3x per week and all sorts of other doctors appointments. Also she has lost her vision as a side effect of one of her meds. So yes, I applaud Angelina Jolie for avoiding a life like my mom's. Who in the right mind would want to go through this if it could be prevented?!?

So here I am, I want to have 80% of my stomach removed because I am at a high risk for diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, obesity related cancers and about a cazillion other things.

What makes Angelina Jolie better than me? We both wants to lower our risks for diseases.....why is society praising her and criticizing us? Yes, I can lose weight and yes she can overcome cancer, what the hell is the difference?

Oye!!

**STANDING UP & LOUDLY APPLAUDING!**

With all that you just said, I also carry the same mutation gene in my family so I just had a long heart to heart with my GYN who is all for me having the sleeve but tells me to hold off on the double mastectomy because while I do have a 1st cousin that has stage 4 breast cancer, no one else in my immediate family has been dx'd with cancer. Also, reducing my weight will greatly reduce my chances of cancer as well. So I'm taking my chances on the sleeve to help me become healthier. While I'm not ashames of having that done, I'm also not sharing with anyone. Don't need negativity.

Hope your Mom & G-ma pull thru this LI Gemini NY! Big (((HUGS))) to you too!

True, very true!

I have never really experienced or seen society criticising people who have bariatric surgery. I am thankful that I live in a society where I am supported and encouraged. Perhaps you should move!

I have never really experienced or seen society criticising people who have bariatric surgery. I am thankful that I live in a society where I am supported and encouraged. Perhaps you should move!

Well I'm happy for you because apparently you live in a bubble, I'm sure I'm not the only one who was told "just stop eating" or "just exercise" or "you're taking the easy way out". Yes perhaps I'll move into the bubble with you. And while I'm at it, all the black people should go back to Africa so they don't have to face discrimination lol Smmfh!!

Bravo! I was thinking the same thing.

**STANDING UP & LOUDLY APPLAUDING!**

With all that you just said' date=' I also carry the same mutation gene in my family so I just had a long heart to heart with my GYN who is all for me having the sleeve but tells me to hold off on the double mastectomy because while I do have a 1st cousin that has stage 4 breast cancer, no one else in my immediate family has been dx'd with cancer. Also, reducing my weight will greatly reduce my chances of cancer as well. So I'm taking my chances on the sleeve to help me become healthier. While I'm not ashames of having that done, I'm also not sharing with anyone. Don't need negativity.

Hope your Mom & G-ma pull thru this LI Gemini NY! Big (((HUGS))) to you too! [/quote']

I plan on taking the BRCA1 & 2 as well, I'm 30 years old and have had mammograms every year since I was 25, I am so worried about cancer! losing weight will reduce our risks, but the fact is genes don't change so we have to take other measures. Thank you for your well wishes, I wish you the same <3

Well I'm happy for you because apparently you live in a bubble' date=' I'm sure I'm not the only one who was told "just stop eating" or "just exercise" or "you're taking the easy way out". Yes perhaps I'll move into the bubble with you. And while I'm at it, all the black people should go back to Africa so they don't have to face discrimination lol Smmfh!![/quote']

Hmmm. No, not a bubble. Only one person ever said to me i was taking an easy option and a while after i explained to her the realities of my situation she apologised and we were all good. But I do live in a country where people can get the surgery for free on national health care. I didn't get mine free, but it is great to know that those who cannot afford to pay for it privately can still access it. That sounds like a society that supports the surgery to me.

So yes, maybe you should move here with me. If you face discrimination for having surgery to improve your health then it sucks to live where you live! I wouldn't want to live in a society so discriminatory.

U

Hmmm. No, not a bubble. Only one person ever said to me i was taking an easy option and a while after i explained to her the realities of my situation she apologised and we were all good. But I do live in a country where people can get the surgery for free on national health care. I didn't get mine free, but it is great to know that those who cannot afford to pay for it privately can still access it. That sounds like a society that supports the surgery to me.

So yes, maybe you should move here with me. If you face discrimination for having surgery to improve your health then it sucks to live where you live! I wouldn't want to live in a society so discriminatory.

It's not "discrimation", but there's always an ******* around, REGARDLESS OF WHERE YOU LIVE, that has a negative opinion about something. Not everyone says it to your face and perhaps you're just not aware of those talking crap behind your back. Chances are pretty good it happens.. Even in the uphoria you seem to live.

OP.. Kudos to you for working your life for the better. Prayers and thoughts to you and your family. God bless!

Hmmm. No' date=' not a bubble. Only one person ever said to me i was taking an easy option and a while after i explained to her the realities of my situation she apologised and we were all good. But I do live in a country where people can get the surgery for free on national health care. I didn't get mine free, but it is great to know that those who cannot afford to pay for it privately can still access it. That sounds like a society that supports the surgery to me.

[/quote']

Well then I'm moving to the bubble because apparently The Great USA sucks :-/

No seriously....

I don't have any obesity related health issues...but I don't want to experience any! So this surgery is elective for me, seems like it's life saving for you based on "the realities of [your] situation". Angelina could've had her breasts or ovaries removed AFTER a diagnosis but she chose to prevent a diagnosis so her double mastectomy was elective. My mom and grandma had mastectomies that were life saving...

I'm certain that some people can get WLS for free regardless of where you live, people certainly get it for free here but some do pay. Just because it's available for free doesn't automatically mean that it's socially accepted. The two are unrelated.

For example: Gay marriage is legal in some places, does that mean everyone in those places accepts it, of course not! Those that don't will preach about the bible yadda yadda ya.

So again, just because WLS is free, doesn't mean that it is viewed upon positively by everyone. Some will continue to preach about diet and exercise...

And P.S. I used the discrimination example as a reference point to show stupid your "you should move" comment was. Why do I have to move because someone else has a problem?

And P.S. I used the discrimination example as a reference point to how stupid your "you should move" comment was. Why do I have to move because someone else has a problem?

EXACTLY!

When I heard what she did I thought the same damn thing.

U

It's not "discrimation"' date=' but there's always an ******* around, REGARDLESS OF WHERE YOU LIVE, that has a negative opinion about something. Not everyone says it to your face and perhaps you're just not aware of those talking crap behind your back. Chances are pretty good it happens.. Even in the uphoria you seem to live.

OP.. Kudos to you for working your life for the better. Prayers and thoughts to you and your family. God bless![/quote']

Thanks a million, greatly appreciated

P.S.

Matthew 18:9 New American Standard Bible (©1995)

"If your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out and throw it from you. It is better for you to enter life with one eye, than to have two eyes and be cast into the fiery hell.

And let the church say Amen!!