Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Uh oh.. breaking the rules...big time.

Ok, so I'm supposed to be doing a 4 week pre op. 2 weeks high Protien/low carb (we've probably all done this diet a MILLION times before) then 1 week full fluids, and 1 week clear fluids. Well... I'm failing miserably. Week one was a fast food farewell tour. (again.) I'm now on my 2nd week and I can't get motivated!!! Do you think this will adversely affect my surgery? I have a low BMI to begin with, so it wasn't a requirement to lose weight for surgery. I won't cheat on the liquid phases, but have I already ruined my chances at a healthy recovery because I'm not following doctors orders?!

Ok' date=' so I'm supposed to be doing a 4 week pre op. 2 weeks high Protien/low carb (we've probably all done this diet a MILLION times before) then 1 week full fluids, and 1 week clear fluids. Well... I'm failing miserably. Week one was a fast food farewell tour. (again.) I'm now on my 2nd week and I can't get motivated!!! Do you think this will adversely affect my surgery? I have a low BMI to begin with, so it wasn't a requirement to lose weight for surgery. I won't cheat on the liquid phases, but have I already ruined my chances at a healthy recovery because I'm not following doctors orders?![/quote']

Likely not, but why risk it?! There are people who woke up unsleeved after not following pre-op diets. You should be fine, if you just get your butt in gear and follow your diet!! :P

Is there something stopping you from getting your mindset right?

You need to clear out your stomach and shrink it before surgery so yes, it does matter, and theres that whole fatty liver thing, which we all have, or we wouldnt be having the sleeve. Surgery is very very stressful to your body, you want to be as healthy as you can be before going in. I wonder if you should think about your commitment, because if you can't follow pre-op, how successful can you be post-op? I'm not sure why doctors require Clear Liquids the week before, mine didn't, I just did 2 weeks of Protein Shakes and vegetables, then 2 weeks of Protein shakes and clear liquids. This is one month of your life, and the practice you need to control impulses. You can have a little fast food after you heal, no need to keep giving it a farewell party ;)

If you are not afraid of actually seeing the surgery up close and personal, I recommend watching this video on Youtube by Dr. Alvarez

. He shows you why that fatty liver is such a hindrance. Be forewarned - this is GRAPHIC surgery footage.

Is there something stopping you from getting your mindset right?

You're all absolutely right. Wow.... I actually think I'm feeling depressed/anxious about HAVING the surgery. So I eat. Everyone on here sounds so excited about it, and I WAS at first... or at least excited about the idea of it...but now that i'm only 3 weeks out, its for real! I'm scared and not looking forward to it at ALL. I'm also worried about how soon I can return to work afterwards, and if it will be 'as big of a deal' as it seems in my head. Is it really a big deal? Is it really aweful? I know it's worth it, but the fear of the unknown is killing me! (or at least sabatoging my pre op efforts.) haha!

The unknown is scary. Acknowledge that fact, and realize the sleeve itself will be only a tool. You need to do the hard work to be successful. It may be helpful to have a few sessions with a counselor or psychologist who can give you some feedback on why you are sabotaging yourself. I had some couseling before my surgery, and it was the best thing I did.

Danielle,

I've read most of your posts, and I understand being nervous. This surgery is a major surgery, a major change in your life and it is not something you can take back.

You should ask yourself is it worth the risk? And if yes then ask why? For me, I was on meds and going downhill. This was in my eyes, my last chance at life. I was willing to take the risk, and make the sacrifices but It comes with downsides.

But I signed up and made that choice...

I say this all to you because if I where a 30 bmi

I don't know it I would honestly do it..

I just don't know.

I think if you feel so confused, it would not be a bad thing to put it off even just for a week or two to really come to a place of peace about it.

But if you feel in your heart that this is the right move. You need to realize the pre op is hard but also important, even with a low bmi you can have a fatty liver so this diet is to insure that things will go smoothly in the O.R. And know that every pound you gain is another that you will have to try and lose after surgery..

You will eat food again. I promise :)

Do you think this will adversely affect my surgery?

Do you know what your surgeons rules are? My Nutritionist told me that I will have a ten day pre op diet, they will weigh me when I start and when I end and if I don't loose what they deem appropriate (as in, I had better loose, and a loss of 1-2 lbs will not be acceptable) that my surgery will be cancelled. He also told me that if he opens me up and my liver is the least bit "heavy" that he will sew me up and we will be done, he said he will not risk my life because of my failure to follow the rules. You HAVE to decide that THIS is way more important then the food funerals, the OMG I can't do this. Don't say you will be fine when you get to the liquid diet or whatever.... Do it now, there is a reason they wanted you to do it the way they set it up. You are setting yourself up to have a much more difficult time on the liquid diets, You say you won't cheat on the liquids, but you can't even get through the lower calorie diets, how can you know for sure you won't cheat during that? I can say I am going to get up every day and eat only 1300 calories and exercise for an hour, but until I actually do it, I was doing nothing but blowing smoke. You are making it more difficult on yourself, you need this time to prepare if nothing else. I know there are people who have not had to do pre op diets and maybe they have done wonderful, but there is a reason for them.... use this time to your advantage.

Laura-ven , I watch your posts too! Haha! It's so hard to know, and maybe i'll take a bit of time to think it over. I have a difficult time with big life decisions anyway, but you may know that I've gained and lost 500lbs, and have a binge eating issue, so my current BMI is not a true reflection of what I will Probably weigh in 6 months... and I don't want to have the surgery at a BMI of 40+. I KNOW I want this. I'm ready to lose the weight for good and change my life. I think I'm just scared about the actual surgery. Which was more difficult: the surgery itself and recovery, or making the permanent life change?

Laura-ven ' date=' I watch your posts too! Haha! It's so hard to know, and maybe i'll take a bit of time to think it over. I have a difficult time with big life decisions anyway, but you may know that I've gained and lost 500lbs, and have a binge eating issue, so my current BMI is not a true reflection of what I will Probably weigh in 6 months... and I don't want to have the surgery at a BMI of 40+. I KNOW I want this. I'm ready to lose the weight for good and change my life. I think I'm just scared about the actual surgery. Which was more difficult: the surgery itself and recovery, or making the permanent life change?[/quote']

I get that, I've lost more weight than I care to think about! I had this surgery at a 40 bmi and I'm just now at almost 30 :P

Ok well the surgery was good! I was knocked out hehehe... But I did have a little freak out when I was being wheeled in.

Recovery? the first three days I'm not going to lie they were hard and I kinda wondered what I had done to myself this time.

But I will say the permanent life change, for me,is the hardest.. There's so many little things to many to get into here. But it's not the easy way out as some people will say.

I feel "sick" more often but I hope that one day my body will adjust more and it will become a thing of the past. I am older 47 soon so that may be part of it :D

Binging, that is my biggest obstacle..

How does someone sleeved still binge you ask?

Easy I say (though I'm trying not to)

I have discovered that you can eat around the sleeve and eat more bad things. that coupled with the fact that you can eat a bit more as time goes on, are a bad combo for some of us with serious food issues. I am working day by day minute by minute on this..

I say these things because I'm honest to a fault.

But I feel the more you know the more you can prepare for these problems if they should arise.

Macy 6,

Excellent points. 'Do it now.' 'Do it now.' I'll be repeating this as my new mantra. Thank you.

You can remind me when it is my time :-) I am guilty.... aren't we all.