Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 5 months out and down over 80lbs. I've had 2 pretty painful gallbladder attacks just recently (one on thursday evening one on sat evening). I am assuming my gallbladder yet to discuss with my surgeon. Symptoms are an incredibly sharp stabbing pain below my chest above my ribcage in the middle making me feel nauseous and throw up and lasting between 1-3 hours. Really tender to touch if I press on the spot where the pain is coming from. Afterwards I feel absolutely fine. Is this GB?

I realise most of u arent qualified to give medical advice but i guess i want some reassurance. I would hate to go through another surgery but I also would hate to live in fear of where and when next attack will be ... whats the chances I will have to have my gallbladder out? and is there non-surgical options? until I get an appt with surgeon is there anything I can do to avoid another attack or relieve symptoms in the meantime?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like gall bladder. Greasy foods used to set mine off. I suffered with the same kind of attacks for over a year because we had no insurance and 3 little kids. I was young and knew something very bad was wrong but did not have the money to go to the doctor. Please get an appointment as soon as possible. No sense for needless suffering.

My doc gave me anti gallstone meds to start taking right after surgery for six months just for that reason. I'm kind of surprised by the number of people whose doctors don't seem to be telling them about the higher risk of gallstones with rapid weight loss...really concerning to me. It seems to be causing people unnecessary pain and complications.

I had my gallbladder out 19 years ago - 9 months after my first child was born. Your pain does sound like a gall bladder attack. Some people mistake them for a heart attack. My pain was more like someone was stabbing me in the back with my gall bladder.

Sounds like the LATER stages of a galbladder gone bad to me... Usually it is not such a localized pain until it's getting more advanced. Please go soon. I was stupid and allowed mine to get so bad that it turned gangrene, ruptured, the infection went septic and I almost died.

My doctor also gave me Ursodol (anti gallbladder) medicine which I will be on for 6 months. I am also surprised by the number who were not prescribed any medicine to handle this issue common to rapid weight loss.

It's your gallbladder, I just went through the same thing for the past month and a half. I had mine removed Friday and the surgeon said mine was very swollen and full of stones, call your doctor and tell them. I had to go for a hida scan and a ultrasound. My attacks were not always brought on by food or fat. Laughing cow cheese did it one time and one time it happened in the middle of the night.

Cool thanks all for your responses - not what I wanted to hear though! :( will be speaking to surgeon today - thankgod I come from a country with free healthcare!

Is there any chance with changes in diet or exercise that the problem could be resolved without surgery? The one common thing that brought on both attacks is roast chicken .... both in evening around 8pm.

will let you know how I get on x

It's your gallbladder' date=' I just went through the same thing for the past month and a half. I had mine removed Friday and the surgeon said mine was very swollen and full of stones, call your doctor and tell them. I had to go for a hida scan and a ultrasound. My attacks were not always brought on by food or fat. Laughing cow cheese did it one time and one time it happened in the middle of the night.[/quote']

Did you have to stay overnight in the hospital after having it removed? How long was your recovery? Was it laparoscopic? I'm 1 month post op (down almost 35 pounds) and I've been extremely nauseous for the past week and my back (mid on right side) has been hurting for almost 2 weeks. My surgeon told me today that it sounds like my gall bladder. I'm going in for an upper GI and a sonogram tomorrow.

Did you have to stay overnight in the hospital after having it removed? How long was your recovery? Was it laparoscopic? I'm 1 month post op (down almost 35 pounds) and I've been extremely nauseous for the past week and my back (mid on right side) has been hurting for almost 2 weeks. My surgeon told me today that it sounds like my gall bladder. I'm going in for an upper GI and a sonogram tomorrow.

I had mine removed on Friday and I am still recovering. I had it done as a single incision laparoscopic surgery. They went in through my belly button. My sleeve surgeon was not able to do it so luckily I work where I had it done and one of our general surgeons specializes in choleys with the da Vinci robot. My or time was 730 am and I was headed home by 2pm. And that was with my bp being low at first and my HR being funky. The recovery hasn't been terrible, just a lot of pain and the Percocet really upsetting my stomach. Today I was able to go all day with just Tylenol. Tomorrow I'm going to try to add some food back in. Honestly there was no way I was not going to have it removed. I landed in the er once and they only saw sludge on the CT. I could have gone 3 other times I just medicated at home and powered through the attacks, I was in pain everyday and fatty food or any food caused the attacks. My doctors told me even though it felt like a negative thing it really just ment I was doing really well. They told me 70lbs in 6 months was so good my gallbladder just got mad, lol. I'm just sad that I feel like this set back my weight loss. I haven't been to the gym in over a month and I feel super fat right now. If your UGI and ultrasound don't show anything ask for a HIDA scann, it could be an ejection fraction issue too. good luck with everything

I had mine removed on Friday and I am still recovering. I had it done as a single incision laparoscopic surgery. They went in through my belly button. My sleeve surgeon was not able to do it so luckily I work where I had it done and one of our general surgeons specializes in choleys with the da Vinci robot. My or time was 730 am and I was headed home by 2pm. And that was with my bp being low at first and my HR being funky. The recovery hasn't been terrible' date=' just a lot of pain and the Percocet really upsetting my stomach. Today I was able to go all day with just Tylenol. Tomorrow I'm going to try to add some food back in. Honestly there was no way I was not going to have it removed. I landed in the er once and they only saw sludge on the CT. I could have gone 3 other times I just medicated at home and powered through the attacks, I was in pain everyday and fatty food or any food caused the attacks. My doctors told me even though it felt like a negative thing it really just ment I was doing really well. They told me 70lbs in 6 months was so good my gallbladder just got mad, lol. I'm just sad that I feel like this set back my weight loss. I haven't been to the gym in over a month and I feel super fat right now. If your UGI and ultrasound don't show anything ask for a HIDA scann, it could be an ejection fraction issue too. good luck with everything[/quote']

Thank you! I will ask for a HIDA scan if so. I appreciate the information.

Thanks so much I woke up yesterday am wit that stabbings pain, I thought I was getting better then this... Today is my 1 week post op. So I will surly ask if he thinks its that & go head & do an ultrasound TODAY. & I asked the doctor before surgery if he saw an issues wit gallstones to go head & remove... I didn't want to have surgery the have to come right back for another. He said everything looked good then. So this means longer recovery, more pain, more anesthesia huh.. I just want the pain to go away.... I haven't even weighted myself after surgery due to all the bloat & all.. Thanks so much foe this info, I was thinking embolism & everything else but the gallbladder because it was aol soon after surgery...

Thanks so much I woke up yesterday am wit that stabbings pain' date=' I thought I was getting better then this... Today is my 1 week post op. So I will surly ask if he thinks its that & go head & do an ultrasound TODAY. & I asked the doctor before surgery if he saw an issues wit gallstones to go head & remove... I didn't want to have surgery the have to come right back for another. He said everything looked good then. So this means longer recovery, more pain, more anesthesia huh.. I just want the pain to go away.... I haven't even weighted myself after surgery due to all the bloat & all.. Thanks so much foe this info, I was thinking embolism & everything else but the gallbladder because it was aol soon after surgery...[/quote']

Where was your pain felt? From what I have read its uncommon to experience attacks in the morning and also it usually happens after eating as well. The others might know more but may not be gallbladder for you.

It sounds like a gb attack. Idk of anything other than surgery to resolve. I lost 100 lbs on WW and then my gb went from silent to screaming almost immediately. Worse pain than labor. Sometimes so bad I'd be laying on the floor crying. My pain threshold is pretty high too. It got so bad I was constantly vomiting and crying. They admitted me right away and took that bad boy out!

Amanda Rae