Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The myth that high BMIers lose more quickly

We haven't defined what low BMI is/was. I was at 39.something, almost 40, and lost weight quite rapidly, about 85 pounds in 9 months. I was not muscular, and still am not. I did not exercise before or after surgery. I did eat a diet high in sugar and carbs pre-surgery. My base metabolic rate was measured before surgery and once I reached goal. In both cases, it was pretty high. Which was great for speedy weight loss, but it's shameful on the other hand because it means I had to work pretty hard to get that big in the first place.

I don't know why I lost so rapidly and without a real stall. But I am grateful!

I just don't think we'll find a good pattern in the circumstances and results. It just seems that everyone's body will do what it wants to do. The key is to just keep following the program.

Maybe someone with a lot of adipose tissue naturally has more muscle as well due to carrying around all that weight. I'm just brainstorming here. I know you asked for factual data haha!

I agree that oir bodies just do what it wants! There's no definite answer. That's why every nutritionist/doctor has a different theory on weight loss. No two bodies are the same.

I have a high BMI (50) to start and had an unhealthy diet pretty much right up until surgery (well, until 3 day clears). I am in week three and feel like I'm losing slowly - so I don't think your part about diet pre sleeve holds true, at least not for me.

I lost 8 lbs pre-surgery. Bye Water weight!

I lost 12 in week one

I lost 3.5 in week two

I have a GAIN in week three (so far - and was up much of week two before finally ending down).

Given how heavy I am and how many calories I'd need to eat to simply maintain my weight compared to how many calories I eat now (550-700 per my NUT) it just seems crazy that it's not coming off faster. I wish I was one of those people who felt as though it just 'melted off'. I am hoping this week is the week 3 lull you hear about or that I'm about to get my period (I should anyway unless surgery and recovery threw things off which is possible).

It's not a myth:

a 200 pound person and a 400 pound person need different amount of calories just to keep their systems working. So if both are sleeved and eat the same amount, theoretically the larger person should lose more weight. Hense we say they lose more quickly; they just have more weight to lose.

It's not a myth:

a 200 pound person and a 400 pound person need different amount of calories just to keep their systems working. So if both are sleeved and eat the same amount' date=' theoretically the larger person should lose more weight. Hense we say they lose more quickly; they just have more weight to lose.[/quote']

For your statement above to apply in terms of BMI, the people in your hypothetical situation would also need to be the same height and gender, but yes, I agree that in theory you are correct.

I wonder if part of the problem with our thinking about weight loss is in equating it to pounds (kg, stone, pick your favorite). Wouldn't it really be a more accurate assessment for comparative purposes to look at it as percentage of excess weight lost? For example, who has had a more significant loss - someone with 50 lbs to lose who has lost 10 lbs (20%) or someone with 100 lbs to lose who has lost 15 lbs (15%)?

Also, as the weight loss starts to drop, would it be useful to think in terms of a sliding scale to avoid the disappointment of starting to see smaller drops? Example: someone with 100 lbs to lose initially is seeing on average 10-15 lb drops on the scale every month. They get down to 50 lbs left to lose, but their loss has dropped and now they're only seeing 5-7.5 lb drops. They're still losing 10-15% of the weight left to lose each month, is just that the amount left to lose has been cut in half.

I wonder if we assessed low BMI vs high BMI weight loss on those terms if they are actually much closer to equal than popular theory seems to suggest?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using VST

For your statement above to apply in terms of BMI, the people in your hypothetical situation would also need to be the same height and gender, but yes, I agree that in theory you are correct.

I wonder if part of the problem with our thinking about weight loss is in equating it to pounds (kg, stone, pick your favorite). Wouldn't it really be a more accurate assessment for comparative purposes to look at it as percentage of excess weight lost? For example, who has had a more significant loss - someone with 50 lbs to lose who has lost 10 lbs (20%) or someone with 100 lbs to lose who has lost 15 lbs (15%)?

Also, as the weight loss starts to drop, would it be useful to think in terms of a sliding scale to avoid the disappointment of starting to see smaller drops? Example: someone with 100 lbs to lose initially is seeing on average 10-15 lb drops on the scale every month. They get down to 50 lbs left to lose, but their loss has dropped and now they're only seeing 5-7.5 lb drops. They're still losing 10-15% of the weight left to lose each month, is just that the amount left to lose has been cut in half.

I wonder if we assessed low BMI vs high BMI weight loss on those terms if they are actually much closer to equal than popular theory seems to suggest?

Someone is a brainiac.... :P

Someone is a brainiac.... :P

I confess, I'm a geek. Shhhh, don't tell anyone! :P

I have a high BMI (50) to start and had an unhealthy diet pretty much right up until surgery (well, until 3 day clears). I am in week three and feel like I'm losing slowly - so I don't think your part about diet pre sleeve holds true, at least not for me.

I lost 12 in week one

I lost 3.5 in week two

I have a GAIN in week three (so far - and was up much of week two before finally ending down).

Given how heavy I am and how many calories I'd need to eat to simply maintain my weight compared to how many calories I eat now (550-700 per my NUT) it just seems crazy that it's not coming off faster. I wish I was one of those people who felt as though it just 'melted off'. I am hoping this week is the week 3 lull you hear about or that I'm about to get my period (I should anyway unless surgery and recovery threw things off which is possible).

15 pounds in 2 weeks is a LOT! Did you expect it to come off a lot faster than that? As far as the gain, I'm sure that it's just your body getting adjusted. It will come back down with Protein, Water and walking! Congrats on your loss so far--that is awesome!!

It's not a myth:

a 200 pound person and a 400 pound person need different amount of calories just to keep their systems working. So if both are sleeved and eat the same amount, theoretically the larger person should lose more weight. Hense we say they lose more quickly; they just have more weight to lose.

Do they? What if their BMRs are the same?

It's not a myth. It's the rule. But for every rule, there are exceptions. There are benefits to slow and steady weight loss. Your body has time to adjust and your lose skin can firm up better.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/406097-why-do-overweight-people-lose-weight-faster/

Amanda Rae

Oops - double post!

The PA at the bariatric center of excellence I go to put it this way - it takes more energy just to carry around the extra weight. I started at a BMI of about 68, and it took a LOT more effort for me to climb a flight of stairs then than it does now, and I'm still at a BMI of 54. Even just the walking a person with a high BMI does just to get around burns more calories than it would if they weighed a lot less. So I do believe there is a relativity about it. I agree it's better to look at it as a percentage.

The PA at the bariatric center of excellence I go to put it this way - it takes more energy just to carry around the extra weight. I started at a BMI of about 68' date=' and it took a LOT more effort for me to climb a flight of stairs then than it does now, and I'm still at a BMI of 54. Even just the walking a person with a high BMI does just to get around burns more calories than it would if they weighed a lot less. So I do believe there is a relativity about it. I agree it's better to look at it as a percentage.[/quote']

Just like when the elliptical measured my calories burned. The heavier I was, the bigger the burn.

Amanda Rae

I had a BMI of 44 on my first visit to my surgeon (weight 267) for my consultation. I was never a soda/candy/sugar person/fast food. My issue was always food in general, esp carbs. I am three months out and down 43 pounds (no pre op diet). I feel I am a slow loser, and will continue to be so. Actually I have always been a slow loser even on other diets pre sleeve. These past three months I made the decision to stay away from most carbs. I believe if I did not I would not have lost what I did.. I think the weight loss is just based on the person itself and intake..

I have a high BMI (50) to start and had an unhealthy diet pretty much right up until surgery (well' date=' until 3 day clears). I am in week three and feel like I'm losing slowly - so I don't think your part about diet pre sleeve holds true, at least not for me.

I lost 12 in week one

I lost 3.5 in week two

Given how heavy I am and how many calories I'd need to eat to simply maintain my weight compared to how many calories I eat now (550-700 per my NUT) it just seems crazy that it's not coming off faster. I wish I was one of those people who felt as though it just 'melted off'. I am hoping this week is the week 3 lull you hear about or that I'm about to get my period (I should anyway unless surgery and recovery threw things off which is possible).[/quote']

Thank you! This means there is hope for me...