Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will i ever be able to take a big bite again?

So, I'm starting to freak out. I'm reading all of these posts and everyone is talking about taking very small bites. I do know that I will be needing to do this, but will I EVER be able to take a normal size bite during a meal? And I really don't mean a big one. Just normal? Like 1 year down the line? I can't imagine taking less than pea size bites of my chicken for the rest of my life.

Is this a trick question? I take bites of my food...sometimes big sometimes small, but I eat my food...

As long as you chew your food it doesnt matter how big the bite is, you will be fine....

I take normal bites but in the whole wide spectrum of this surgery that should be like the least thing you should be worried about lol. In the first weeks after surgery small bites and chew alot I'm three months out and I take regular bites. So no worries.

Is this a trick question? I take bites of my food...sometimes big sometimes small' date=' but I eat my food...

As long as you chew your food it doesnt matter how big the bite is, you will be fine....[/quote']

Haha! No, it wasn't a trick. :). I'm having surgery on Friday and so I've been all over this site and reading and reading and reading. I just keep coming across people having problems and everyone is saying to take very little bites and then I started freaking out. THANK YOU! I feel better now. :)

I take normal bites but in the whole wide spectrum of this surgery that should be like the least thing you should be worried about lol. In the first weeks after surgery small bites and chew alot I'm three months out and I take regular bites. So no worries.

Whew! I feel better. Thanks. :)

Everyone is different... however chances are very good that you will be eating normal sized bites much sooner than you think! For ex, I am 5 months out and can't remember the last time I payed attention to my bite size. If I had to guess I would say by week 3 or 4. You HAVE to go slow in the beginning, taking it easy on your new little tummy. But as time goes on you should adjust well and be back to relatively normal bites. I also sip normally now. I CAN chug a little if I wanted to but usually not the best idea because I start to feel tightness in my tummy and say to my self "uh oh. That wasn't smart" and then wait a few seconds for the tightness to pass. Best of luck to you!

Your whole perspective about food will change in general. When I see someone else take a big bite of a burger or sandwich I think, "I would never WANT to take a bite that big". When I am in a restaurant and see a platter of food come to another table I think, "Omg, I cannot believe I used to eat that much food." You will be fine.

Getting back to normal size bits just takes time. The main thing is to know how many bites before you get full. I'm at week 8 and still don't get any warning signs that I'm full. It goes from normal to "topped off" with just one more bite. So it's better to eat small bites to learn where your full mark is.

post-46516-13813663442735_thumb.jpg

I never got the hang of small bites and chew chew chew. I had a hard time with it in the beginning. I'm 1.5 years out now. I am still a fast eater, and I chew normally. I don't have any problems. However when I am eating with someone who doesn't know about the surgery I eat very slow and chew a lot cause it makes it look like I am eating more...lol

My biggest problem was with gulping. Couldn't do that for a very long time...now I can, just not a whole 12 oz bottle at a time. Not drinking with meals was extremely hard as well. Now I am able to enjoy a little Water with a meal...which hasn't effected my weight loss either, I don't eat more because of it. Good luck!

Two months out. I eat normally. Just...... pace yourself. You will fill up before you know it and then be overfull and THAT is miserable.

A huge thank you to everyone! You've helped me feel much better and I am, once again, excited for Friday to get here!